U2 and Religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
Are there any fans out there who love U2 but totally reject the religious aspect of their work and identity?

No, I don't have a problem with it.

Religion and politics are constant themes in U2's music. Subjects, Bono feels very strongly about. I think for some listeners, this is the appeal, regarding lyrics and has brought awareness, to "The Troubles," which plagued Northern Ireland for several decades.

:shrug: why would I reject it? I don't share their beliefs, but as long as they don't force theirs on me, I don't mind whatever they do.

As an agnostic/ deist/ whatever the hell I am, I find U2's religion to be quite tasteful, considering their background(s) in it. I view U2's religious aspects as more of a spiritual point of reference than a religious jumping off point. They don't really dwell on the religion, rather they use it in a smart way and consider it from many different points of view as opposed to "This is what we believe, this is how we pray, this is who we pray to."

I've always found their religious struggles much more interesting than their religion, and I think they do as well. They're an incredible example of a band that has Christian members, as opposed to a Christian band. They use their religion when necessary, and have done a really great job of not alienating anyone due to overbearing beliefs or practices.

Oh, this reminds me of that quote from Bono:

"We're all members of the Frisbeetarian Order. We believe that when you die your soul goes up on a roof and you can't get it down."

:lol:

Reject is a bit extreme. You can not agree with someone's views but should ultimately respect them. As long as those views don't hurt or affect others.

I don't think that U2's religious beliefs are crucial to their music, but they run through it undeniably.

I've always found their religious struggles much more interesting than their religion, and I think they do as well. They're an incredible example of a band that has Christian members, as opposed to a Christian band. They use their religion when necessary, and have done a really great job of not alienating anyone due to overbearing beliefs or practices.

Completely agree with this. U2 are probably the most respectful and humble, as well as inspiring group of believers in popular media today. It reminds me a bit of Johnny Cash -- a righteous man, but honest and humble in his failings.

Personally though, I not only share their faith but have been inspired greatly by them. I would say I've learned more from them themselves and their music than any other figure in my life, and I'm very grateful to them for it. :heart:

Sunday Bloody Sunday, brought awareness to me. As to the problems in Northern Ireland. So, I researched. Thus, inspiring me to write. Thank you Bono!

I don't so much have a problem with U2's religious images and themes as much as their Christian fans who treat them like a Christian band. Please stop looking for God and the bible in all their lyrics. Regular people and artists are not defined by their religion. It is simply an aspect of their life and art. U2 is more than their beliefs. They are humans like the rest of us. Though Larry might be a robot.

I don't so much have a problem with U2's religious images and themes as much as their Christian fans who treat them like a Christian band. Please stop looking for God and the bible in all their lyrics. Regular people and artists are not defined by their religion. It is simply an aspect of their life and art. U2 is more than their beliefs. They are humans like the rest of us. Though Larry might be a robot.

I definitely agree with you on the first account. Even though, as I said, I share their beliefs and derive great inspiration and challenge from the band and their music, I get really flabbergasted -- and even annoyed -- when people put U2 into the box of CCM, etc. I personally despise CCM and I've heard Bono express the same opinions. They are a rock band. They are artists. They are believers. They are complex human beings. Anyone who thinks that the whole idea and story of U2 and its members could be reduced to fit in the Contemporary Christian Music box was, if nothing else, asleep during the entire 1990s.

ETA: I was going to add though as well, that despite my feelings as stated, I don't think it's wrong for fans to simply look for spiritual influences or references in their music. It's an extremely prevalent theme throughout their entire music career, as it would be -- faith is extremely important to these guys' lives and is certainly up there as an interest to Bono and thus his writing. I haven't always looked for it in their music myself, but more and more as I come across backstories of songs I'm really surprised to find out how many are dealing with something spiritual, even if it's not explicit. Ultimately I don't think there's anything wrong in looking for "that" side of things in their songs, as long as you're not interpreting them to fit into your own favorite labels or perceptions.

. I personally despise CCM

This deserves to be quoted over and over again. There is nothing more bland and uninspiring than CCM music. I'm a Believer too, and I see more truth and and Biblical messages in U2's music than I've ever seen in any other kind. Just because it's not explicit doesn't mean it's not there.

um, why should people not look to interpret lyrics as they deem fit? if people want to look for God in the lyrics, why not?

I am a believer, but I didn't start liking U2 because they are believers. I didn't even know right away that they were.

I am slightly amused by fans - who are not Christians - that are in a state of denial about U2's Christianity. They try up and down to convince themselves that "Grace" is really only a song about a person, or that "All Because of You" is about Bono's mother or something else. Anything except God or spirituality. I don't know why I think that's funny; maybe I just have an odd sense of humor.

Please stop looking for God and the bible in all their lyrics.

Why? Does that bother you?

This is what I have enjoyed about Bono's lyrics. You can interpret as it relates to you.

Exactly. it's not even narrowed down to Bono specifically. If someone wants to look for a theme in anybody's lyrics, regardless of that theme, why not? i enjoy looking for religious themes in U2's music. Vertigo can easily be interpreted as temptation/Jesus and the devil "All of this can be yours." All Because of you? Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me? Three pretty high profile rock songs all with religious ties. If I want to look for God there, why can't I?

Why? Does that bother you?

It is unfair and insulting to define Bono by his Christianity. When you look for religious meaning in every song, it is basically saying Bono doesn't think or write anything that isn't religious in nature. He isn't part of a Christian rock band. If you share his faith that's great but there is more to Bono than his faith.

That's absurd. You really don't care about the art or artist when you make ridiculous interpretations like that. See my last post. :down:

Are you serious? You're saying he doesn't care about U2 because of his interpretation of Vertigo?

Open up your mind to other people's opinions, Screw. Enough of this, "I'm right, they're wrong, and I can measure it objectively!" nonsense.

Are you serious? You're saying he doesn't care about U2 because of his interpretation of Vertigo?

Open up your mind to other people's opinions, Screw. Enough of this, "I'm right, they're wrong, and I can measure it objectively!" nonsense.

If you actually took in what I am saying in posts, you'd understand why I said that.

If you actually took in what I am saying in posts, you'd understand why I said that.

I know what you're saying and I actually agree with you that there's more to U2 than their Christianity. But that doesn't mean other people's interpretations are wrong.

That's absurd. You really don't care about the art or artist when you make ridiculous interpretations like that. See my last post. :down:

Unless you're asleep at the wheel, it's pretty obvious that there's a Christian conception of temptation going on in the (funny, cute, simple) lyrics of "Vertigo." It's absurd that you think the previous person's interpretation is absurd.

(Why is it that Internet-anonymity turns certain people into reactionary right-wingers, as if there weren't already enough in the world?)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom