U2 and Religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wait a sec...haven't you read the Bono conversation book? Religion pops up in it constantly. Bono is constantly bringing up faith and religion in the conversation. Christianity might not define him, but it is a part of most of his beliefs in some form. I don't see how anyone who has read that book could come to a conclusion much different than this.

I know what you're saying and I actually agree with you that there's more to U2 than their Christianity. But that doesn't mean other people's interpretations are wrong.

I definitely think there is more to U2 than Christianity. Obviously. Like ZooTV, PopMart etc. is about God. Most of their songs AREN'T. But I can easily see Vertigo as being about it. To tell me that I don't appreciate the artist is absurd because I see them talking about God in Vertigo.

That's absurd. You really don't care about the art or artist when you make ridiculous interpretations like that. See my last post. :down:

How is it ridiculous? The song is about temptation. I see the middle 8 as taking it a step further and more specific.

u2 is not a "Christian band" and Dostoevsky was not a "Christian writer"; however, both u2 and Dostoevsky display a strong interest in Christian ideas and they both often allude to scripture. You can certainly be a u2 fan and disagree with their religious beliefs, but I think it does their art a disservice to choose to completely ignore the role that their spiritual and religious beliefs play in their art.

You can certainly be a u2 fan and disagree with their religious beliefs, but I think it does their art a disservice to choose to completely ignore the role that their spiritual and religious beliefs play in their art.

It also does a disservice to look for those beliefs in everything they release. Which is what I'm saying. The extremes are bad.

Christianity is a world view. Bono possesses a predominantly Christian worldview. He reads the bible quite often and it is a huge influence on his lyrics. Interviews with him have expressed this. I don't understand the problem a fan could have with noticing biblical allusions (like the ones in Vertigo, With or without you, acrobat...etc.) and interpreting it in a Christian/spiritual way. Unless they said it was the only way, the Christian viewpoint is a valid one when it comes to a biblically influenced band like U2.

It is unfair and insulting to define Bono by his Christianity. When you look for religious meaning in every song, it is basically saying Bono doesn't think or write anything that isn't religious in nature. He isn't part of a Christian rock band. If you share his faith that's great but there is more to Bono than his faith.

No one is saying that Bono only writes about religious things. But I would venture to say that most Christians would attest that their faith defines who they are to a great extent (I certainly would). I'm not going to speak for Bono, of course.

I do think that Christianity is important to Bono, and U2 in general, because they are a "secular" band (if you take categories into consideration), but spirituality still comes through very strongly. They wouldn't have to sing about God so much, but they choose to. I think that says a lot about the importance of spirituality to them.

Good topic :up:

I certainly don't reject it. In fact U2 are probably responsible for making me more open-minded about religion, though I doubt I will ever be a true believer. But as others have said, it does grate me sometimes when people try to interpret every single song as have some deep, spiritual, religious meaning. We know they write about these sorts of things, but not in every single song. As Screwy said, they aren't a Christian band.

wait a sec...haven't you read the Bono conversation book? Religion pops up in it constantly. Bono is constantly bringing up faith and religion in the conversation. Christianity might not define him, but it is a part of most of his beliefs in some form. I don't see how anyone who has read that book could come to a conclusion much different than this.

Is one of the chapters not called "For those who are not interested in religion, please pass by" or something like that?

Regular people and artists are not defined by their religion. It is simply an aspect of their life and art.

i am a christian (i prefer follower of jesus), and it absolutely defines who i am. it informs how i look at everything. it is pervasive in all my decision making, and (hopefully) how i deal with all people. if you are to really embrace the life and work of jesus, it cannot be an add on or a part of your life (see what jesus says about the subject in luke 14). this is sadly why the christian church much of the time looks ridiculous, petty, and judgmental. we never fully grasp the entirety of the gospel message.

as for seeing faith in u2's music, i will see it in places that some will not because that is the lens with which i see the world. the gospel of jesus, informs the way i see every thing not just u2 lyrics. its also why i love lyrics like "his love is like a drop in the ocean" or "oh, can't you see what love has done". they are directly affirming the way i see the world.

Yes...one of the chapter is called that. However, that is far from the only chapter that includes religious discussion. My point with noting that is that Bono himself interpreted statements of the interviewer's that were cosmetically not directly involved with Christianity and turned them into religious and faith involved discussions.

Yeah I picked up on that when reading it. And no offence intended here, but I had to motivate myself pretty damn hard to keep reading when he did that.

But notice how like all these musicians, frontmen mostly, are rock stars but are also apparently well-credentialled philosophers as well? Think about it. Bono, Roger Waters, Pete Townshend... they just bang on and on! Must be an aging rock star thing.

i am a christian (i prefer follower of jesus), and it absolutely defines who i am. it informs how i look at everything. it is pervasive in all my decision making, and (hopefully) how i deal with all people. if you are to really embrace the life and work of jesus, it cannot be an add on or a part of your life (see what jesus says about the subject in luke 14). this is sadly why the christian church much of the time looks ridiculous, petty, and judgmental. we never fully grasp the entirety of the gospel message.

as for seeing faith in u2's music, i will see it in places that some will not because that is the lens with which i see the world. the gospel of jesus, informs the way i see every thing not just u2 lyrics. its also why i love lyrics like "his love is like a drop in the ocean" or "oh, can't you see what love has done". they are directly affirming the way i see the world.

:up: Well said.

I remember seeing Bono in photos, where as he wears a traditional cross and an upside down one, both around his neck. St. Peter was crusifed on an upside down cross. Believing, he was not as good as the Christ. And did not want to have his death, represented in the same way.

Tha thing is that an up side down cross is more a simbol of evil :reject: and these things are very serious to me, I have stoped to listen to other bands and artist for less than this (example Madonna, Britney, Michael Jackson etc...) :sad: but Bono´s actions are so good and he has written so many lyrics for God and love that I really don´t know what to think :scream: A wolf is never so dangerous as when he is disguised as a lamb

Tha thing is that an up side down cross is more a simbol of evil :reject: and these things are very serious to me, I have stoped to listen to other bands and artist for less than this (example Madonna, Britney, Michael Jackson etc...) :sad: but Bono´s actions are so good and he has written so many lyrics for God and love that I really don´t know what to think :scream: A wolf is never so dangerous as when he is disguised as a lamb

Hi Caroni.....I understand exactly what you are saying. An upside down cross does represent Satanic worship for many people. Myself included. Hopefully, Bono was wearing the cross for the reason that I mentioned above. In honour of St. Peter. Which, Bono's childhood Anglican Church would believe Peter was the founding father of the Apostotic/Catholic Christian Church. Or the first Pope.

Sorry for spelling mistakes.

The upside-down cross has only recently been associated with rejection of Christ. Before the Satanic Church was set up in the 1960's, it was regularly associated with the actions of the early saints, who refused to be crucified in the same manner as Christ, for they did not believe they were worthy of it.

Cross of St. Peter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, it's a symbol of humility for many Catholics.

Hi Caroni.....I understand exactly what you are saying. An upside down cross does represent Satanic worship for many people. Myself included. Hopefully, Bono was wearing the cross for the reason that I mentioned above. In honour of St. Peter. Which, Bono's childhood Anglican Church would believe Peter was the founding father of the Apostotic/Catholic Christian Church. Or the first Pope.

Sorry for spelling mistakes.

The upside-down cross has only recently been associated with rejection of Christ. Before the Satanic Church was set up in the 1960's, it was regularly associated with the actions of the early saints, who refused to be crucified in the same manner as Christ, for they did not believe they were worthy of it.

Cross of St. Peter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, it's a symbol of humility for many Catholics.

Thank you both :hug: I really hope this is the reason otherwise I think I wouldn´t be a U2 fan anymore

PS. I can´t critizise bad spelling :lmao:

An "aging" rock star thing? Have you heard the lyrics from the October album?

I'm not talking about lyrics, though, and that was more of an off-the-cuff comment. I'm talking about the fact that these seasoned rock stars (Bono, Townshend, Waters) love to go on and on about these really deep themes now that their music is no longer sustaining them (in the case of Townshend and Waters, at least). Want to see what I'm talking about? Get the "classic albums" DVDs of Who's Next and Dark Side of the Moon.

The "Is Bono/U2 Satanic?" video is the single most hilariously stupid video on U2 I've ever seen. That guy is batshit crazy.

Thanks LemonMelon! For the additional information. I was raised in a traditional Protestant Church and became a member of the Catholic Church, later on. My mid-twenties.

I believe that Bono was wearing an upside down cross, in honor of St. Peter and other Saints who were put to death in the same manor. Since, he has said many times, he is a believer in Jesus Christ.

Thank you both :hug: I really hope this is the reason otherwise I think I wouldn´t be a U2 fan anymore

PS. I can´t critizise bad spelling :lmao:

I've seen photos of that necklace, and it's not an upside-down cross to begin with. It's just something like this attached to some dangly bit, the video makes it seem like something else. So have no fear, kiddo!

:hug: thanks :heart:

Still the fact that they used the 666 sing in htkk video gives me th creep :yikes:

you missed the point of that video all together. ever read "the screwtape letters" by cs lewis? lewis, one of the greatest christian apologists, and they are referencing his book in that video.

i understand you apprehension, and wanting to be sure, but you are missing the point of a lot of the things u2 have done. the video earlier in the thead, about them being satanic is so absurdly stupid, its not even worth the time.

if you really have questions about u2 and their faith read u2 by u2, and the in conversation with bono- and that should put them to rest.

Back
Top Bottom