U2 albums planned for 2009 remasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up until JT, U2's albums were mastered terribly poorly. Island handled the mastering themselves and generally did a shoddy job. According to Flanagan's book, Bono was on a road trip in 88 and heard Def Leppard come out of some kid's sound system, then heard "streets" out of the same sound system and it wasn't half as good. When U2 were recording Rattle and Hum in L.A., they met Cheryl Engles, who told them that their albums had been mastered poorly and offered to handle such future duties. Island was pissed off, mostly out of shame, but the difference between Rattle and Hum and all earlier albums is palpable. Since then, their albums have been mastered at a much higher quality (with the notable exception of Pop, which is pretty shoddy, mostly because of the tight post process).

While observations have been made that ATYCLB and HTDAAB seem to have been mastered for the iPod rather than for the home audio system, their pre-RAH work is vastly inferior.

On the one hand, there's an overwhelming amount of bonus material for a Rattle & Hum Super Deluxe package.

On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about there being a Rattle & Hum Super Deluxe package when there isn't one for the first three albums.

Up until JT, U2's albums were mastered terribly poorly. Island handled the mastering themselves and generally did a shoddy job. According to Flanagan's book, Bono was on a road trip in 88 and heard Def Leppard come out of some kid's sound system, then heard "streets" out of the same sound system and it wasn't half as good. When U2 were recording Rattle and Hum in L.A., they met Cheryl Engles, who told them that their albums had been mastered poorly and offered to handle such future duties. Island was pissed off, mostly out of shame, but the difference between Rattle and Hum and all earlier albums is palpable. Since then, their albums have been mastered at a much higher quality (with the notable exception of Pop, which is pretty shoddy, mostly because of the tight post process).

While observations have been made that ATYCLB and HTDAAB seem to have been mastered for the iPod rather than for the home audio system, their pre-RAH work is vastly inferior.

This matches my own observations much better than previous comments on this thread.

There is definitely a difference between pre-Rattle and Hum and after.

And, sadly, pre-ATYCLB and after.

I look forward to the day when Achtung Baby is remastered and all those who don't think it needed to be remastered buy it anyway. :cute:

Well said. :)

Wow. That's unfortunate. I think the most I've ever gotten ripped off is $3/song on imported singles back when I cared.

Wow. That's unfortunate. I think the most I've ever gotten ripped off is $3/song on imported singles back when I cared.

I don't get why it's unfortunate. if he wants to have a complete library or collection or whatever and wants to spend the $20 on the release, that's his business. I just don't get why comments like this are necessary.

I don't get why it's unfortunate. if he wants to have a complete library or collection or whatever and wants to spend the $20 on the release, that's his business. I just don't get why comments like this are necessary.

Yeah, great. Your opinion on that really matters to me and I'm so glad you've shared it.

Now I realize why I rarely come to this part of the forum.

Yeah, great. Your opinion on that really matters to me and I'm so glad you've shared it.

Now I realize why I rarely come to this part of the forum.

Thanks for the pleasant comment. :cute:

I disagree with you in that some of the new songs have "bad" Bono vocals. In fact, I've felt his singing has been great lately. His weakest singing was easily post-"Zooropa" release until about 1999. Since then, Bono's voice has been getting better and better - perhaps better than it was in the "Kermit", er, JT/R&H days. Plus, he can scream again - something he hadn't done on the past few albums.

With regards to spending $$ on songs - clearly a personal choice. If you aren't into U2 or aren't into collecting U2 any more, then it does beg the question of why YOU are even in this thread (and you are right, why are you in this part of the forum when it's clear what the conversation will be?). But for some of us, having different versions of albums and singles is part of the fun of being a U2 fan.

I used to collect boots too, but now with the torrents, I've stopped that. And I'm glad - that was where the real rip-off was sometimes. Still, back in the 90's, it was either an expensive boot or nothing.

Thanks for the pleasant comment. :cute:

Any time. :happy:

If you aren't into U2 or aren't into collecting U2 any more, then it does beg the question of why YOU are even in this thread (and you are right, why are you in this part of the forum when it's clear what the conversation will be?).

This topic is about remasters. If someone feels strongly against remasters, why are they in here?

Where to even start.... We were talking about remasters. I suppose I used the collecting as an example? I have no idea whether Niceman or PopAcrobat are collectors. If I didn't care about about the actual copy of War remastered, a song like "Angel Too Tied To The Ground" wouldn't be worth it to me personally... but I do care about the remaster, because the original master sounds like crap. Well, same is true of Achtung Baby in my opinion.

So $20+ for one song is ridiculous when you consider that it's really $20+ dollars for two cds of which you only want one song, but consider all but one song worthless because they're a remaster. Or something. :shrug: I suppose I could have made the snide remark I'd initially thought of, "Well then send me your Achtung Baby remastered disc when you buy it if you don't care--I'll be glad to take it off your hands." You know, because I will want it.

I disagree with you in that some of the new songs have "bad" Bono vocals. In fact, I've felt his singing has been great lately. His weakest singing was easily post-"Zooropa" release until about 1999. Since then, Bono's voice has been getting better and better - perhaps better than it was in the "Kermit", er, JT/R&H days. Plus, he can scream again - something he hadn't done on the past few albums.

And maybe Bono's technique is better and he can screen. But he can't sing low. He can whisper yes. But his low register is gone. And his upper register is squeaky. But hey, if you like that sorta thing, great.

i bought the JT remaster. it had a good concert. and a few new songs - which i listened to once and never have since.

i'll get an AB remaster if it comes out with all these Salome songs and other outtakes - with vocals from 90/91/92 whatever.

i don't really have the ear for "remastering", to me the only difference between the JT remaster and the old CD i had was the One Tree Hill coda was in One Tree Hill, Exit was slightly louder, and MOTD slightly clearer.

so there was no way i was going to spend $50 on the TUF remaster which his nothing really new on it outside of a song which apparently sounds like the lion king. i haven't heard it.

i bought the JT remaster. it had a good concert. and a few new songs - which i listened to once and never have since.

i'll get an AB remaster if it comes out with all these Salome songs and other outtakes - with vocals from 90/91/92 whatever.

i don't really have the ear for "remastering", to me the only difference between the JT remaster and the old CD i had was the One Tree Hill coda was in One Tree Hill, Exit was slightly louder, and MOTD slightly clearer.

so there was no way i was going to spend $50 on the TUF remaster which his nothing really new on it outside of a song which apparently sounds like the lion king. i haven't heard it.

I've watched the JT concert once.. the songs are all on my ipod on shuffle, but of the new songs I skip most anyway, especially that America song.

If you don't get it, I'm going to bring it with me and shove it down your throat personally when I come over. :D
And remind me of this too, I'll show you the differences. If your ears are trained it's pretty obvious. :) I'm especially happy with Streets, now if we'd only have the album version with the click clacks intro and backing vocals(nto as short as the single version) it'd be epic.

I'm guilty of not buying TUF and the BOCTOWAR remasters. Probably because those albums don't mean much to me anyway. It's great that they're remastered and I'm sure many will enjoy them, I just care too little to spend money again on the cds I already own.

I was kind of disappointed by the UF bonus material, but I bought it anyway because UF is my favourite album. Not sure if I'll buy the AB remasters, my original album still sounds good to me. And I'm quite pissed because having an AB remaster coming out this fall basically means no new U2 album. I take a new album over every remaster they've ever put out.

And I'm quite pissed because having an AB remaster coming out this fall basically means no new U2 album. I take a new album over every remaster they've ever put out.

Is the AB remaster even confirmed? Seems kind of illogical to release it this year when the twentieth (holy shit) anniversary is in 2011.

If you don't get it, I'm going to bring it with me and shove it down your throat personally when I come over. :D
And remind me of this too, I'll show you the differences. If your ears are trained it's pretty obvious. :) I'm especially happy with Streets, now if we'd only have the album version with the click clacks intro and backing vocals(nto as short as the single version) it'd be epic.

I merged the long intro with the body of the single version (with backing vocals) once.

I still think AB is muffled in many places and could use a good remaster, at least just to clean things up a bit. The album, as we all know, is brilliant. But put it on right after one of their better mastered albums, or one of the remasters, and you will notice quite a difference. When I first bought AB, being a newer U2 fan that would be around 2002, the first thing I thought was : wow this is muffled, but it rocks! Re-master it all the way!:up::up:

Besides people, you know they will remaster it whether we think they should or not. 2011 seems like a logical year to release the AB remaster because of the 20th anniversary.

Is the AB remaster even confirmed? Seems kind of illogical to release it this year when the twentieth (holy shit) anniversary is in 2011.
It's not. And I still don't get why people have this ridiculous idea. AB remaster will be 2011 to follow up the JT 20th anniversary release.

I merged the long intro with the body of the single version (with backing vocals) once.

That'd help, but it still lacks a lot of backing vocals Edge does live and not on the single version, and the click tracks. Maybe someone who knows a lot about this stuff could do a version with Edge's live backing vocals and larry's click clacks? :hmm:

Not taking the remastering itself into account, Yoshino Blossom is worth price of the UF remaster itself.

Looking forward to 90's remasters, personally.

But what I want the most are alternate/unfinished versions of songs, like the Bob Dylan bootleg series or Beatles Anthology. I guess we have to wait longer for that kinda thing :(

That'd help, but it still lacks a lot of backing vocals Edge does live and not on the single version, and the click tracks. Maybe someone who knows a lot about this stuff could do a version with Edge's live backing vocals and larry's click clacks? :hmm:

If that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest just listening to one of the great many amazing live versions of the song that exist. :wink:

Or maybe I could try overdubbing my own voice and click-clacks (created by Rock Band drum sticks) onto the album version. :hmm:

If that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest just listening to one of the great many amazing live versions of the song that exist. :wink:

Or maybe I could try overdubbing my own voice and click-clacks (created by Rock Band drum sticks) onto the album version. :hmm:

:lol: Well I do have plenty of great live versions, but I was just saying how they could make the studio version perfect for me.

They really did make that song huge live. Oh right, that reminds me. I just love what Adam did with the live version chorus. It's a nice change from the album version. :)

You should just record it by yourself, I'm sure it'll be a hit on youtube. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom