U2 Albums Not Living Up To Their Potential

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Jesus Christ did not sing "The Wanderer"!

Are you sure?

As a piece of songwriting, "The Wanderer" is about as outlaw as it gets. Obviously, it's a fluid "category" as you call it, open to endless interpretations... so your post is sort of pointless (quite a shocker there).

:doh: Stop arguing for argument's sake and try to discuss for once.

I have no clue what you mean by "as outlaw as it gets", I have a feeling you haven't listened to a lot of older country music. We really have no clue as to what the character has done, we just know what he's looking for.

BVS, could you send me a Winzipped collection of every one of your posts on this forum? I want to print them out, and tally what percentage of your 30 million posts aren't rude or judgemental.

And if that doesn't keep me awake, I am running low on toilet paper...

I'm pretty sure it was intentional humor.

And I agree with 65980, it's a country song. Yeah, it's dressed up with that bouncy, synthy bass and the Zooropa shimmer, but that lyric and almost traditional melody is very country. To me.

"Country music" these days, as a defining term, is very nebulous and can mean a lot of things and be used to describe a lot of stuff. And I don't usually like putting labels on shit, anyway. I guess just for me, personally, The Wanderer is a country song. We know Bono loved, loved, loved the music of Elvis and Hank Sr., two of the all-time titans of country.

I went out ridin', down that ol' eight lane

I can just picture Cash having recorded that song, just himself and an acoustic, on one of his early country albums 35 years before Zooropa came out. And that shows the power Bono has had as a songwriter.

Incidentally, I can't listen to the Zooropa version of the song anymore without hearing Edge's "WAH WAH WAH WAH WANDERING!" backing vocals.

Back
Top Bottom