Typical U2 Hater List (feel free to add)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Bono sounds old now, he doesn't have the range he used to." Smoking and maturity can do that to a person.

"I can't get over Adam's early 80's fro, therefore I don't like him."/"What's up with the bassist? He doesn't do anything." Personal problem/Adam is probably cooler than you in all aspects and doesn't have to impress you. But listen to the bass! It's there!

And anyone who confuses Adam and Larry needs to do their homework.

my better half, Mrs CKONE, calls them Bonio, The Ledge, Harry Connick Jnr and Adam Claypole (character from early 80's English kids programme) just to annoy me. She uses the too old comment, who does Bono think he is comment and all the others constantly. The problem is she loves music, melodies, great lyrics and great tunes so secretly she cant avoid her love for U2. She wont admit it as many of them dont but all the 'haters' are closet U2 fans. Its a fact but they will never admit it!!!:lol:

Lol! I know lots of people who say "Bone-o" just purely to get on my nerves. But a few of them really are closet fans, I know for sure! :wink:

Some people, however, just need to get their facts straight. Believe it or not I actually know someone who once told me she thought that in the 80's, U2 made country music. And I don't mean Dalton Brothers, I mean she really thought they had a "country period." :doh:

My favorites from people I know :lol:

"U2? No I don't like them...what songs do they sing?? I don't think I could name one U2 song"

"Can't stand that Bono - he's such a disgrace to the Irish" HUH!!!????!!!!

"Ugh Bono - he's such a womanizer - no wonder he isn't married".

If you ever want to introduce someone who is a teenager to U2, I would suggest having them listen to a song that is opposite to the songs they play on the radio (i.e. Beautiful Day, Vertigo) because those are the 2 songs most people will use to judge if they like U2. If you play something like "lemon", many people will think "hmmm....there might be more to this band than I thought", and for me this video below defines U2 as a crazy, unique, and interesting band and introduces people to the dark Zoo TV side of U2, instead of probably the more mainstream songs they are used to defining the band as. (and dont get me wrong, I love vertigo and BD, but I think people are defining U2 by those 2 songs without understanding that overall, U2 is a very dark and experimental band)
My friend was blown away by the chaos of this video, and said he never saw anything like it.

YouTube - U2 : The Fly - Live '92(Zoo TV Special) HQ

:love:

How about something like Mofo live from Mexico etc. or Zoo Station from the ZOO TV DVD, or even Bullet from Popmart DVD. The choices are endless.:up:

no people who purposely pronounce his name "Boner" are worse...

ugh... :doh:

They think they're so damn good. :wink:

Yeah, I know right? And GOYB sounds sooooooo much like Vertigo!! Well, okay, but not all U2 songs are the same...

It's like that phrase has become such a stock response for anyone feeling compelled to justify their dislike of the band.

"So whatchya listening to, Catman?"
"Oh, just some U2-"
"UGH! ALL U2 SONGS ARE THE SAME!"
"Well no, not really. Have you listened to-"
"THE SAME!"
"But have you-"
"GAAAAAAARGHGALGAGLLASFGLHAS ALL.THE.SAME!HATE.EVERYTHING!!!!!"
"Please, stop yelling. Listen to-"
"AGLHAGAIGHLANGLALIGFALG"
"Those are just sounds. Stop."

This happens all the time. Exactly as transcribed above. Exactly. It really does bug me how easily someone can just write a band off with some stock, flippant response (but I guess that also says a little something about me if I'm actually bothered by it... :shifty:) Yes, Vertigo and GOYB aren't exactly worlds apart. But if someone actually listened to the band's catalogue, or at least not just the recent, more commercially developed tunes, then I think they'd be pretty surprised by what came out of their speakers. In fact, I'm gonna make a 20-song playlist right now.

1) I Will Follow
2) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
3) Fez-Being Born
4) Lemon
5) Tomorrow
6) Fast Cars
7) Beautiful Ghost/ Introduction to Songs of Experience
8) Mofo
9) Hawkmoon 269
10) Like a Song...
11) Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
12) Unknown Caller
13) The Sweetest Thing
14) The Fly
15) Never Let Me Go
16) Numb
17) Miss Sarajevo
18) Lady With the Spinning Head (extended)
19) Bullet the Blue Sky
20) White as Snow

No "Beautiful Day." No "Vertigo." No "Mysterious Ways." No "Desire." No "Pride." (come to think of it, no "Zooropa," "Your Blue Room" or "Soon," either) That doesn't mean these songs are bad by any means (say what you want about Vertigo; I find it catchy as hell), but there is definitely more to U2 than their big singles.

So if someone starts telling me "all u2 songs are the same!!1," well alrighty then... :doh: Their loss.

Well, it does. And so do all the other songs they've ever made. Everyone who doesn't realize this is a blind sheep, absolutely deluded or simply stupid. :grumpy:

How could you say that anything from Boy, October, War sounds like anything from Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop?

How could you say that anything from Boy, October, War sounds like anything from Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop?

I believe she was being sarcastic. Every real fan knows that their 3 decades of music are very different. The only ppl oblivious to it are the ones who only know "radio U2". And radio U2 = ONE, BEAUTIFUL DAY and maybe 2 more songs

At the end of the day, it's not hard to determine why U2 has a passionate legion of haters:

1) They sing songs about God and large social (I hesitate to say 'political') issues.
2) They're very post-punk.
3) Bono.
4) They're too popular and have been for so long.

Reason #1 is uncomfortable for a lot of people. While I disagree completely, I can understand why some people don't like that. Personally, I don't like Bono's onstage speeches (I call this redundant didacticism -- preaching to the converted), but, you know, he's been around for a while, he can do what he wants.
Reason #2 is why older people like George Harrison and my dad don't like them. My dad is enthralled watching Eric Clapton play a 12-bar solo for three minutes, but at the drop of a U2 song he falls asleep. Why? Because some people of the 60s generation are so beholden to the blues and traditional forms that they can't appreciate the post-punk mentality and ethos at all. U2 are not great musicians, don't care about guitar-solos, don't want to sound like traditional R&B guys . . . and yet they go on about how they love those kinds of musics and people. This was what got them into trouble on Rattle & Hum.
Reason #3 is a strange one -- Bono offends some people's sensibilities because he's too much of a do-gooder who talks a lot. A lot of people aren't offended by do-gooders, but they're offended by people who talk a lot about themselves. And Bono is both. I respect him for that because he's obviously intelligent enough to know that any rock credibility he had (if he ever had any after the mullet) goes out the window as soon as he talks about human rights campaigns, etc., and yet he goes right on doing it. But for people who prefer their musicians simple, humble, and focused on music, Bono can seem too much.
Reason #4 is the most obvious thing -- the bigger you get, the more people want to knock you down. And U2, against every conceivable career curve known to rock, has never really been taken down. You can see people's desperation for this when Pop failed to set the world on fire (only 7 million sold!), and the non-U2-friendly parts of the rock press acted like they had released Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed. I seem to remember Britain's U2-hating music press mag Melody Maker giving the album a 0 out of 10 rating... This kind of thing in itself proves that U2 have reached the stage where they are larger than the industry, and we cannot take any printed review seriously anymore because everyone comes at them with so much knowledge, experience, and opinion that no one's perspective can be objective anymore.

:up:

I believe she was being sarcastic. Every real fan knows that their 3 decades of music are very different. The only ppl oblivious to it are the ones who only know "radio U2". And radio U2 = ONE, BEAUTIFUL DAY and maybe 2 more songs

Oh yeah sorry :reject: sarcasm detector was malfunctioning.

Back
Top Bottom