TV Exec: "Get me the best U2 ripoff ever for my late-80s drama series!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this Youtube comment on this video:
I wonder who sings this song. It sure sounds like Bono from U2.  Does anyone else know for sure?

hahaha yeah it really was! :lol: i've heard some sound-a-likes being used in ads before but never anything like this as a tv theme! its just embarrassing to listen to if anything...funny though

Just shows how fine a line U2 walks between brilliance and cheesy campaign slogan music. Sometimes they do both.

Zoowhata?

I only listened to the first minute or so to see why everyone was LOLing over it. It didn't hit me right off the bat as a "U2 soundalike," and I didn't care enough to listen to the whole thing to listen real hard for any similarities.

But yeah, first impression? I don't know how anyone could think it was U2 or Bono.

it's not EXACTLY like him obviously! but there's little bits in there that the guy does pretty well...the shouts and funny little breathier bits etc - its just pretty funny imagining a bunch of guys being drafted in to write this and getting a guy in who can do a so-so bono impression. i've written a couple of sound-a-likes before purely for my own stupid entertainment and its great fun, i can imagine the musicians having a right laugh recording Jesse Hawkes!! :lol:

but i'm surprised you couldn't hear it as a soundalike right from the start...the chords in the fade in leading to jangly delay laden guitars...it just screams Where The Streets Have No Name from the very start!! I wouldn't be surprised if they were using the song in the early stages and had to commision a soundalike when they're either refused permission to use the real thing or are warned 'there's no way in hell you'll get it', happens all the time!

Zoowhata?

I only listened to the first minute or so to see why everyone was LOLing over it. It didn't hit me right off the bat as a "U2 soundalike," and I didn't care enough to listen to the whole thing to listen real hard for any similarities.

But yeah, first impression? I don't know how anyone could think it was U2 or Bono.

I don't know how you couldn't hear it. It sounds like a complete 80s U2 ripoff and I think that guy sounds like Bono... he's obviously trying his best.

Okay, fine. You guys win. Since you are all bullying me mercilessly ( :wink: ), I went back and listened to it from the beginning. I think when I first took a gander, I skipped ahead to when the singing started, and I was all ".. uh, okay?"

But holy crap. You guys are right.

Although I have no idea why you brought up Zooropa, Gonzo. It's Streets all the way.

Okay, fine. You guys win. Since you are all bullying me mercilessly ( :wink: ), I went back and listened to it from the beginning. I think when I first took a gander, I skipped ahead to when the singing started, and I was all ".. uh, okay?"

But holy crap. You guys are right.

wooo! another victory for peer pressure! :rockon:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom