Tour Delay Theory: Trump and the Elections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaimearodriguez

The Fly
It occurred to me this morning this morning that the tour delay and album delay for Songs of Experience seems 'off'. Not because the boys take longer and longer to record, but because it directly contradicts many things said last year during the tour.

To me, there is something else at play here. to me: Bono wants NO PART of the U.S Election in 2016.

My theory:

The past 11 months have become a fireworks display of anti-immigration sentiment in many parts of the US electorate. Candidates (mostly from the right) have piled on with talk of border fences, deportation and ending birthright citizenship. The messages tapped into a timeworn fear that unchecked immigration will erase what is American about America.

Donald Trump has unfortunately/ fortunately (based on your beliefs) struck a chord with millions of Americans . The American people feel like refugees and helping undocumented immigrants is a real scam. I heard a guy the other day say: “These are not refugees in my mind. This is an economic pitfall for the American people.”

We all know what U2's music is about. We all know how Bono feels about: refugees, gun control etc.

This year, it seems the American electorate has no appetite for what U2 preaches. To me, the band is disgusted and would rather stay clear.

Thoughts?

In short: NO

not one for conversation, are you? :wink:

not a bad theory OP.. I dont know if they've deliberately avoided touring because of it, but I seem to recall them saying in the past that they didn't want to tour during an election cycle.. or am I dreaming?

EDIT: should have said, "tour the US during an election cycle"

Last edited:
Bono has matured over time realizing he needs people on both sides of the aisle to accomplish great things. In W's administration he got AIDS drug funding for Africa saving millions of lives. He enlisted big liberal donors and evangelical Christians to the cause. It was a great moment for the US and the world.

He's interjected current events into lyrics like 'hands up don't shoot'. Overall the dude has a hard on for America seeing it as an 'idea' and a force for good in the world. If he were an American voter he'd vote for more progressive policies, but he knows better than to alienate a good chunk of his fan base by taking a super-hard stance. I love theories, but I don't necessarily buy into yours. Vertigo tour occurred during the height of the neocon military adventurism in the Middle East. I don't think a figure like Trump will factor into any of their plans.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I didn't think it needed much. Immigration was already a heated discussion when they toured the first leg. Did they drop it in Paris, I can't remember?

Trump only represents a small portion of this country, why the fuck would U2 concern themselves with that? They've already shaded Trump on national TV, why would they shy away from it?

but to the OP, I don't think the US election has altered U2's plans in any way.

edit: to say that they're by the American electorate and they're trying to steer clear is dramatic.

"A good chunk"? There's something to be said for wishful thinking.

Not directly in reference to Pro-Trump U2 fans, but if he said something blatantly divisive along ideological viewpoints. For example if he came out and said "Pro-Lifers need to have their heads examined". That's the alienation I'm talking about. I would expect that from Vedder or Stipe. I honestly don't know what Bono thinks about abortion. He is more nuanced in the way he politicizes his views. Even if the fans don't agree with those viewpoints, they realize he's not shoving it in their faces.

regardless of how you feel about Trump, he's one of the two major nominees. he now represents the Republican party in 2016.

Which is already a smaller dying off portion of this population. And just because he now represents the party it doesn't really mean he represents those people, just like many Democrats wouldn't necessarily say Clinton or Bernie represents them.

Trump received 10 million votes . More than any candidate in Republican primary history.

Wishful thinking? Not quite.

Why is this so consistently cited as a big deal? Every election cycle SHOULD set "historical" records as the population should increase over half a decade and more registered voters should come into the fold. Also, after eight years of opposition, a party is expected to be energized.

I hate that people think this is some historical big deal.

I doubt U2 are avoiding the election cycle. They're more likely to just be being U2 and uncertain of themselves.

So they can't tour Europe/rest of the world - nowhere else exists?

U2 aren't touring Australia right now because they don't want any part of our current election cycle. The band is, in fact, on the verge of breaking up because Bono and Larry keep getting into Shorten-vs-Turnbull arguments.

The only way we could draw this conclusion is if U2 had planned to play a WWE event and canceled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bono has matured over time realizing he needs people on both sides of the aisle to accomplish great things. In W's administration he got AIDS drug funding for Africa saving millions of lives. He enlisted big liberal donors and evangelical Christians to the cause. It was a great moment for the US and the world.

He's interjected current events into lyrics like 'hands up don't shoot'. Overall the dude has a hard on for America seeing it as an 'idea' and a force for good in the world. If he were an American voter he'd vote for more progressive policies, but he knows better than to alienate a good chunk of his fan base by taking a super-hard stance. I love theories, but I don't necessarily buy into yours. Vertigo tour occurred during the height of the neocon military adventurism in the Middle East. I don't think a figure like Trump will factor into any of their plans.

This exactly.

Bush and the neocon movement didn't stop 2005 and references to Iraq and torture in the shows. Very prominent ones at that.

Whatever reasoning is behind the decision not to tour, it's not Trump or any political figure or event.

Last year, I was one who disagreed strongly with the "Hands" piece and said so at the time.

Still do disagree.

It was a new experience for me and it hurt to hear Bono say something divisive that I honestly felt he got wrong.

That being said, I have agreed with every political statement I know of him making before or since. Once I got over my initial reaction to disagreeing with what he said, I realized that it's a very short segment and he by no means shoved it in my or anyone else's face.

I still saw him shaking police officers' hands and heard him thanking them in Stockholm after that scare.

There is something to be said for his temperament and maturity. Even when I was upset with what was said, my respect and admiration for the man was never, ever in jeopardy.

Bono's make up is one that is sorely lacking say, in the Republican Party of today. Trump or otherwise.

Trump only represents a small portion of this country, why the fuck would U2 concern themselves with that? They've already shaded Trump on national TV, why would they shy away from it?

Exactly.

Right on national TV and syndicated I Heart radio stations he gave Trump a good slap.

Why is this so consistently cited as a big deal? Every election cycle SHOULD set "historical" records as the population should increase over half a decade and more registered voters should come into the fold. Also, after eight years of opposition, a party is expected to be energized.

I hate that people think this is some historical big deal.

I doubt U2 are avoiding the election cycle. They're more likely to just be being U2 and uncertain of themselves.

Yes.

Excellent point.

Also, lost in this Trump record BS is the fact that Hillary, who we're led to think by the far left (Bernie and his people) and the far right, nobody likes, has received more votes than anyone this cycle.

not a bad theory OP.. I dont know if they've deliberately avoided touring because of it, but I seem to recall them saying in the past that they didn't want to tour during an election cycle.. or am I dreaming?

EDIT: should have said, "tour the US during an election cycle"

They were on a pretty big tour in the US in 1992...

the reason for this delay is they probably want to have a finished album before the tour continues.

Bono predicted the disintegration of the EU in the opening of ZooTV Sydney when he rises in front of the EU flag and the stars fall apart.

Bono predicted the disintegration of the EU in the opening of ZooTV Sydney when he rises in front of the EU flag and the stars fall apart.

And about 4 years later U2 was on the Simpsons, exactly 3 years later The Simpsons predicted Trump as president...

That means Trump 2024, just like marriage - Third Time's a Charm

They're more likely to just be being U2 and uncertain of themselves.

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-610x426.jpg

If Trump wins the election, there will be so much rioting and anarchy that there won't be any bands touring in America for a long time. Think about that.

Cynicism: it's what's for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom