Top 5 Awful Moments in U2's 'Rattle & Hum'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of awful R&H moments (not the song or performance, mind you) and nipples...

U2_Rattle_And_Hum_Front.jpg

Oh god, the high-waisted grandpa pants with suspenders and no shirt.

Some people say the mullet was his worst look, I say it's that right there.

I won't have a word said about the red trousers. At least Bono in his infinite "wisdom" chose those pants. U2 paid Lola Cashman to look that bad during JT.

I actually see fuk all wrong with Rattle and Hum. Its just U2, in America, footage of their gigs and different scenerios in-between...................Bono preaching and its nothing new........chests showing, long hair, gospel, broken arm, Larry had a hole, Edge got a dirty bum, Adam seemed to be rarely in it - just all that and a load of fun craic for U2 fans..........know?

althou Id give ANYTHING to watch the Lovetown doc again too!

:yuck: Ugh, those grandpa pants are horrible indeed. Though they all looked like a bunch of Hobo's during most of JT/RnH era. I can't believe they had a stylist during that era. What the fuck was she thinking????

Despite the pomp and the whiff of cheese throughout, I quite enjoy me some Rattle & Hum (film). Unlike some of the others on Interference, I used to watch Rattle & Hum. I related to it, because I used to drive across North American myself, for a couple of years, with my parents... I was what they called a glorified hobo boy. So, I related to Rattle & Hum. It was great to buy the film on VHS and now it's eternally digital and all, but I wish the film could exist somewhere where I couldn't have got it. I don't know why, you know, it's just one of those things.

R&H makes me cringe and I really prefer Outside It's America. U2 have a sense of humor! :shocked: I think Phil Joanoaouauoo made them look like a bunch of starchy humorless guys with really bad clothes, but OIA shows that they're actually hilarious guys with really bad clothes.

Larry and Edge have the funniest moment in the film.

"If I had feet like that, Lawrence, I wouldn't want them in the film."

"Yeah, well if I had a head like yours, I'd bleedin' bury it."

Larry and Edge have the funniest moment in the film.

"If I had feet like that, Lawrence, I wouldn't want them in the film."

"Yeah, well if I had a head like yours, I'd bleedin' bury it."

So that's what he said? :lol: I've watched that film a bunch and have never quite been able to make out the dialogue there. That is pretty funny.

I think Phil Joanoaouauoo made them look like a bunch of starchy humorless guys with really bad clothes...
You're right, but we probably shouldn't lay the blame at Joanou's feet. Consider that, in fall 1987, Joanou was a 26-year-old director fresh out of film school, and U2 was the biggest rock hype in the world. I think they knew exactly what he was doing, and they were probably calling most of the shots (not literally... but, you know what I mean).

Why do you think this takes giant balls??? It's a cool lyric and a great way to end the album, but balls?

Because on first appraisal, it sounds pretty depressing! Like he's ending the album on a major downer or bum note. Which runs contrary to U2's characteristic mood of uplift. I'm glad you think it's a great way to end the album, cuz that's an enlightened view. It most certainly wasn't my initial reaction.

My very initial reaction was "Ugh, depressing"! I then realized he was really saying something meaningful, and being real and honest. But to close out the whole album, an important album, with those lines, and vere that far from U2’s characteristic mood, did indeed take guts. It was a brave way to finish.

And my point from the last post to you was that you seem to place him on a giant pedestal.

My remark that Bono is one of the greatest lyricists ever was not made as a statement of worship (lol), but simply as a statement of fact. And it is a fact. Plain and simple, it just is. The suggestion was that Bono be assaulted in the crotch region for reading his own lyrics. I merely made the distinction between a crap lyricist reading his own lyrics, and one of the greatest ever lyricists (fact not worship
icon12.gif
) reading his own lyrics and that, well, there's a certain amount of leeway or license there.

I also made the far more important point, which you may not have noticed, about context. I’m sure you don’t agree with taking things out of context. The reason Bono was reading those lyrics was cuz U2 wrote that song, and Bono wrote those lyrics, for BB, and with him in mind. And Bono was reading the lyrics, not to himself aloud in staggered admiration, but to BB, as like a gift to him.

You're right, but we probably shouldn't lay the blame at Joanou's feet. Consider that, in fall 1987, Joanou was a 26-year-old director fresh out of film school, and U2 was the biggest rock hype in the world. I think they knew exactly what he was doing, and they were probably calling most of the shots (not literally... but, you know what I mean).

It sounds like they took a huge risk and it didn't pay off. And U2 were pretty unhappy with the film when they saw it, so if they were calling the shots, then they made a whole lot of bad choices!

It sounds like they took a huge risk and it didn't pay off. And U2 were pretty unhappy with the film when they saw it, so if they were calling the shots, then they made a whole lot of bad choices!
shit, rattle and hum wasn't that bad.

there were some hugely cringeworthy moments, but welcome to any u2 movie post under a blood red sky.

can't fucking believe i'm defending 80s u2.

Back
Top Bottom