Top 15 U2 songs of the 80's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where The Streets Have No Name
Deep In The Heart
All I Want Is You
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Seconds
I Will Follow
Gloria
Twilight
An Cath Dub / Into The Heart
Scarlet

I've noticed that a lot of U2 fans really like 'An Cat Dubh'. I don't dislike it, but I often find it overlong and slightly boring. The melody is one of the weakest on Boy. Nothing special about the musicianship or the lyrics, nor is the song sonically or aesthetically unique on Boy. So, what is it about this song that people like so much? Is it just the 'vibe' and the ambience?

(I do think "Into the Heart" is fantastic.)

I've noticed that a lot of U2 fans really like 'An Cat Dubh'. I don't dislike it, but I often find it overlong and slightly boring. The melody is one of the weakest on Boy. Nothing special about the musicianship or the lyrics, nor is the song sonically or aesthetically unique on Boy. So, what is it about this song that people like so much? Is it just the 'vibe' and the ambience?

(I do think "Into the Heart" is fantastic.)

same here, I don't dislike it but I don't see/understand the love for this song. So many songs on Boy that are better than An Cat Dubh, starting with Into the Heart.

How is Into the Heart better than An Cat Dubh? Aside from the fact they're pretty much one song, the latter has a great dark riff, fascinating lyrics, great chorus, whereas the former has a plodding two-note bass line and an overlong intro.

There's much that's sonically and aesthetically unique about An Cat Dubh. In fact, I would go so far to say that it's one of their most unique tracks. Especially when coupled with Into the Heart, what U2 songs sound like that?

For what it's worth, that dual song and "Electric Co." both went up in estimation around here due to their surprise appearances on The Vertigo Tour. It was fun to see those tracks live and "Electric Co." truly is a highlight, but they really aren't much in their initial incarnations on Boy.

They played "The Ocean" as well, but poorly, so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom