Thoughts on U2 as of late....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScandalCrow

The Fly
I personally think that U2 are getting a pass from the fans. The last two albums were not very good and Bono said before that if you make two duds in a row, it's time to quit. But the fans are just eating ATYCLB and HTDAAB up. So they think they are doing good and not keeping Bono's promise.

I've been a MEGA fan since 87. I listen to all of to all of their albums front to back without skipping tracks. They used to make perfect albums. That is until ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And NLOTH is shaping up to be another dud based on the song titles and the content of Get On Your Boots. I wish the fans would realise this and cause a backlash for the band. It would cause them to seriously reconsider their music.

As a band who have broken the mold and made every album perfect in the past, they need to shape up. Don't say it's great just because you love Edge or Bono. Don't think it's wonderful because the band makes you feel like they care or that they are your friends. I know their music has that effect. It's part of what used to make them special.

So here is a list of things they could do to put the magic back into the music:

-Bono needs to spend more time in the studio while the band is writing the music. Bono has better instincts than Larry or Adam.

-Adam and Larry need to back off with the "We need to make a U2 hit" crap. The band did fine for a long time without trying to do that.

-Edge needs to ditch that Line 6 crap. They are cheap effects and it's messing up the studio and live sound.

-The band needs to find A new producer. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite have let the band down on the last 2 albums. No quality control.

-The band needs limitations while in the studio. They do their best when they are on a budget and have time restrictions. No time to tinker and second guess. No time to overkill a song.

Most of the early reviews for NLOTH are raving, actually. Don't slag the record off before you've even heard it.

They will never put a time limit on creating an album again. They took their time with JT, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB and HTDAAB and all of those sold massively. They rushed Pop and it was a failure.

Anyway, I think you need to accept that U2 isn't catering to your demographic. They've moved on. I think we all know that JT and AB are incredible albums but U2 can't make another masterpiece by trying to do the same things that they did before.

They will never put a time limit on creating an album again. They took their time with JT, Achtung Baby, ATYCLB and HTDAAB and all of those sold massively. They rushed Pop and it was a failure.

Anyway, I think you need to accept that U2 isn't catering to your demographic. They've moved on. I think we all know that JT and AB are incredible albums but U2 can't make another masterpiece by trying to do the same things that they did before.

Pop was a hit in my book. And my "demographic"? What is that supposed to mean?

They've moved on? You mean from making great albums? ATYCLB and HTDAAB are crud. They have none of the soul of the previous albums.

So basically you're agreeing that the last two albums are not up to par. And for the record...every album was perfect up until ATYCLB. Thanks for making my point! :hyper:

And NLOTH is shaping up to be another dud based on the song titles

lol. song titles, great way to judge.

Most of the early reviews for NLOTH are raving, actually. Don't slag the record off before you've even heard it.

yeah you should probably actually listen to the new record before you decide that you need to give U2 advice on how to make an album

I'm not even gonna argue with you about ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I personally think that U2 are getting a pass from the fans. The last two albums were not very good and Bono said before that if you make two duds in a row, it's time to quit. But the fans are just eating ATYCLB and HTDAAB up. So they think they are doing good and not keeping Bono's promise.

I've been a MEGA fan since 87. I listen to all of to all of their albums front to back without skipping tracks. They used to make perfect albums. That is until ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And NLOTH is shaping up to be another dud based on the song titles and the content of Get On Your Boots. I wish the fans would realise this and cause a backlash for the band. It would cause them to seriously reconsider their music.

As a band who have broken the mold and made every album perfect in the past, they need to shape up. Don't say it's great just because you love Edge or Bono. Don't think it's wonderful because the band makes you feel like they care or that they are your friends. I know their music has that effect. It's part of what used to make them special.

-Bono needs to spend more time in the studio while the band is writing the music. Bono has better instincts than Larry or Adam.

-Adam and Larry need to back off with the "We need to make a U2 hit" crap. The band did fine for a long time without trying to do that.

-Edge needs to ditch that Line 6 crap. They are cheap effects and it's messing up the studio and live sound.

-The band needs to find A new producer. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite have let the band down on the last 2 albums. No quality control.

-The band needs limitations while in the studio. They do their best when they are on a budget and have time restrictions. No time to tinker and second guess. No time to overkill a song.

There are so many things wrong with this post I'm not sure where to start...

First, at this point you should just listen to the album before making such an absurd thread. What's a couple of weeks?

Based on song titles? Are you serious?

- Bono spent much more time in the studio this time around than the last two.

- I don't know about Adam, but Larry I agree has questionable taste at times...

- What evidence do you have that Edge uses a lot of Line 6 gear? Were you in the studio? The only Line 6 items I know of for sure is the acoustic built-in effects guitar... hardly a reason to get upset.

- This is extremely arguable, they tried Rubin, it didn't work. When Lillywhite was the main producer most people bitched. Howie wasn't that great... I don't think anything is wrong with Eno and Lanois as long as it isn't forced.

- When was the last time U2 had limitations? Come on, you are going to have to try harder than this...

BLAH, how can you say NLOTH is a dud without even hearing it? and basing it on one song is just ridiculous! U2 sold millions of album from HTDAAB and ATYCLB hardly duds at all, why would they quit now?

They've moved on? You mean from making great albums? ATYCLB and HTDAAB are crud. They have none of the soul of the previous albums.

So basically you're agreeing that the last two albums are not up to par. And for the record...every album was perfect up until ATYCLB. Thanks for making my point! :hyper:

Do you realize how weak this "point" is? Let's grow up and talk like adults... shall we?

lol. song titles, great way to judge.

yeah you should probably actually listen to the new record before you decide that you need to give U2 advice on how to make an album

I'm not even gonna argue with you about ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I'm a smart guy and a great listener. I can tell just by the titles, descriptions of the songs, and Get On Your Boots that this album is not going to deliver. Seriously....don't cut the band slack because you love them. We pay for this stuff. They have a duty to make sure I buy a concert ticket.

Line 6 is crap. I'm a music producer and a session player. I know what good gear is.

Yeah about the Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite thing...aside from LAPOE Eno and Lanois had virtually nothing to do with Bomb, and I have always held the opinion that ATYCLB was much more Lanois than it was Eno, despite the Lanois/Eno billing. All signs seem to indicate that this album will be the most Eno-influenced U2 record since Zooropa(or Passengers, if you count it), and that is one of the rather huge reasons so many people are so hopeful about this record.

I'm a smart guy and a great listener. I can tell just by the titles, descriptions of the songs, and Get On Your Boots that this album is not going to deliver.

Are you sure? Because this doesn't sound like the post of a smart person...

A smart guy wouldn't judge an album by one song.

And a good listener wouldn't dismiss GOYB...:wink:(OK that part's subjective...)

I'm a smart guy and a great listener. I can tell just by the titles, descriptions of the songs, and Get On Your Boots that this album is not going to deliver. Seriously....don't cut the band slack because you love them. We pay for this stuff. They have a duty to make sure I buy a concert ticket.

lol.

if you're such a great listener, perhaps you should listen to the album, and then make this thread.

a smart guy who doesnt understand a basic term like demographic?

seriously, lets not validate this shit any further by arguing further. A guy who is prepared to slag off a new record based on song titles isn't worth it

Are you sure? Because this doesn't sound like the post of a smart person...

A smart guy wouldn't judge an album by one song.

And a good listener wouldn't dismiss GOYB...:wink:(OK that part's subjective...)

Ummmm....I'm judging it based on the crap song that is Get On Your Boots. It's a perfect example of the dumbed-up..."we need a U2 hit" crap that infected ATYCLB and HTDAAB. If you cant hear the similarities between GOYB and say....Fast Cars, Vertigo, and Elevation, then you have no business being a musci listener.

That guitar riff sucks! The production sucks. It sounds like it was recorded on a Tascam 4-track recorder.

Ummmm....I'm judging it based on the crap song that is Get On Your Boots. It's a perfect example of the dumbed-up..."we need a U2 hit" crap that infected ATYCLB and HTDAAB. If you cant hear the similarities between GOYB and say....Fast Cars, Vertigo, and Elevation, then you have no business being a musci listener.

That guitar riff sucks! The production sucks. It sounds like it was recorded on a Tascam 4-track recorder.

Once again, ONE SONG!!!

Though I disagree with your judgements of the song, but I've talked enough about Boots.

You definately have an agenda here, you aren't addressing any of the real questions you're being asked, you're just speculating and assuming with a closed mind...

see ya.

Guys, I dunno why this guy is upset, I mean, U2 are a country band playing songs driven by harmonica right? at least thats what I get from only listening to trip through your Wires.

To quote Stewie Griffin : "It's like he's fucking 5!!"

I suppose you haven't noticed how pretty much every review so far says that GOYB is pretty much the weakest track on the record.

Wrong! ScandalCrow= pissed off fan because U2 has gone to hell.

well, I guess that means you're not a fan anymore.... and hanging around a forum that is clearly filled with fans excited for the new album is only going to infuriate you and the other members of the forum... So, I guess the only logical solution is....

Should Radiohead dump their Line 6 gear as well?

Unless it's modded, Line 6 stuff isn't the best available. That said, I'm sure bands like U2 and Radiohead probably get their Line 6 stuff modded.

:huh::huh::huh: This thread will be no good. But obviously now come the people, who want to have attention in a very special way. So you want to provoke here ("ScandalCrow" says it all), and you were successful. But while you perhaps think to know, what U2 "need" to do, I'd like to recommend you, what you may "need" to do:

1. Listen to the album first. You can only really criticize, what you know.
2. U2 are in a wealthy artists' position, not really "needing" to do anything.
3. If you don' like U2, you might "need" to search for another band ...

While I try to understand your sentiment, inbetween the lines I do miss any real positive point of view and I do miss anything substantial to talk about really. So the "Mega Fan", I can't believe or imagine. Your praise for the past sounds empty to me, sorry. Everything I hear from you is :down:, in a demanding language, I don't like at all. Oh, and so I leave this thread ...

While I agree with a lot of what you say (not the specifics, but absolutely the general “last 2 albums were incredibly sub par for U2” complaint), I think it’s a little silly to post it just 3 and a bit weeks out from a new album. *If* it is crap, then a decent chunk of the U2 fanbase will have reason to invoke Clause B.4.89 of the Band/Fan Relationship Code (commonly referred to as the “Two crap albums and we’re out” clause), but we’ve only heard a single that while certainly in the same mold as recent U2 pop-rock outings, is, IMO (and most of the boards) far better than the last few efforts and, in the opinion of most of the reviews, either the worst track on the album or the least indicative of it’s sound.

I do agree with your sentiment, I do agree with the topline of your argument, but I don’t think you’ve picked the best time to make it. No GOYB is not great U2. No, it doesn't hold a candle to, say, the Fly. But give it a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom