Thoughts on U2 as of late....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me repeat, ScandalCrow = Not just a normal troll, but a special one.

OMG ScandalCrow loves POP! I love you!!! :heart::heart::heart::drool:

But what the heck is all this crap about NLOTH being a dud. It's not even out!!!

Some people are so sceptical of the new album that they already have their minds made up that they won't like it. It won't matter how good it is, these people will never give NLOTH a chance, just like they didn't give ATYCLB and HTDAAB a chance.

Scandal...you haven't even HEARD the new album. Never, EVER, go by what someone has written in THREE SENTENCES ABOUT EACH SONG. You must have fucking shit your pants when you bought Zooropa and took a look at the back of the sleeve.
My oh my, just LOOK at those really crazy song titles. Although a rational thinking person would probably listen to the songs first and, were they moved enough by U2's departure and what [in my opinion] is their best album, would realise that Zooropa's pretty fucking great.

The fact is, you're digging yourself a gigantic hole signing up to a U2 FORUM and bursting in guns blazing with your idea that the album is already shit because you don't like the titles or one song that everyone's saying is the weakest on there. Don't hide behind that pathetic little barrier "IT'S MY OPINION!! OH MY GOD! I'M BEING BULLIED FOR HAVING AN OPINION!" as if you're battling against the world and are a hero and an individual for your opinion which you're soooo convinced is GOSPEL.

Coming in here and spouting a load of bollocks about being a producer and musician and 'knowing what good equipment is' is useless unless you're actually going to back it up. Not just drop the name of a piece of equipment and snobbily say 'It sounds like it's been recorded on a tascam 4 track blah blah blah'. If you'd say WHY Line 6 equipment is ruining The Edge's sound with a HINT of maturity and REASON then maybe we'd listen to you.
But I'm sorry, your first few posts immediately made you fair game in a forum full of people who signed up to this forum to talk about U2, discuss and debate their music in an adult manner. Not sign up, bitch about a record you haven't even heard and expect us all to bow to your shitty little remarks because we're a PRODUCER or MUSICIAN.

I'm a musician and "amateur producer". I'd LOVE to have a really lengthy discussion about stuff like that here but when someone turns up and thinks mentioning their status as a producer will add a little weight to their argument and make us think 'Oh! He KNOWS what he's talking about. Can't argue with him he knows it all!' it makes it pretty difficult.

In short, you will not win. :)

To the original poster, ScandalCrow: I'd like you stop telling me and the others what we have to like or not and what we have to do and not to do, it will also be very appreciated on my part if you don't dare tell the band what they have to do. I can understand your opinion, even if I don't share it, so, please, try and make an efford to understand why we've found your post so very offensive.

ATYCLB = masterpiece
HTDAAB = not cohesive, but still a very good album with some classical tracks.

Period.

you don't expect GREAT song titles from her if you're not an avid fan anyway so yeah it's irrelevant ;)

I personally think that U2 are getting a pass from the fans. The last two albums were not very good and Bono said before that if you make two duds in a row, it's time to quit. But the fans are just eating ATYCLB and HTDAAB up. So they think they are doing good and not keeping Bono's promise.

I've been a MEGA fan since 87. I listen to all of to all of their albums front to back without skipping tracks. They used to make perfect albums. That is until ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And NLOTH is shaping up to be another dud based on the song titles and the content of Get On Your Boots. I wish the fans would realise this and cause a backlash for the band. It would cause them to seriously reconsider their music.

As a band who have broken the mold and made every album perfect in the past, they need to shape up. Don't say it's great just because you love Edge or Bono. Don't think it's wonderful because the band makes you feel like they care or that they are your friends. I know their music has that effect. It's part of what used to make them special.

So here is a list of things they could do to put the magic back into the music:

-Bono needs to spend more time in the studio while the band is writing the music. Bono has better instincts than Larry or Adam.

-Adam and Larry need to back off with the "We need to make a U2 hit" crap. The band did fine for a long time without trying to do that.

-Edge needs to ditch that Line 6 crap. They are cheap effects and it's messing up the studio and live sound.

-The band needs to find A new producer. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite have let the band down on the last 2 albums. No quality control.

-The band needs limitations while in the studio. They do their best when they are on a budget and have time restrictions. No time to tinker and second guess. No time to overkill a song.

YouTube - Get on your boots live by U2 Undercover (Maringa - PR - Brasil)

ScandalCrow, GOYB is ALREADY rockin´the world :rockon:

My point is that a lot of people do judge a song by its title, like the OP did with NLOTH.

I think it's more likely that most of us didn't look past the fact that it's a song by Kelly Clarkson. That music holds none of my interest so I don't see why I should listen to it or download it.
The fact that I haven't heard it means I cannot give a valid opinion on it, so I don't.

This guy would automatically say OMGWTFBBQ KELLY CLARKSON IS SO CRAP!!!

I don't. That's the difference.

Even if I listened to the song, I wouldn't say it was crap. I would either say I like it, or that I dislike it. And perhaps give a few DECENT arguments, rather than wow the songtitle sucks!

I personally think that U2 are getting a pass from the fans. The last two albums were not very good and Bono said before that if you make two duds in a row, it's time to quit. But the fans are just eating ATYCLB and HTDAAB up. So they think they are doing good and not keeping Bono's promise.

I've been a MEGA fan since 87. I listen to all of to all of their albums front to back without skipping tracks. They used to make perfect albums. That is until ATYCLB and HTDAAB. And NLOTH is shaping up to be another dud based on the song titles and the content of Get On Your Boots. I wish the fans would realise this and cause a backlash for the band. It would cause them to seriously reconsider their music.

As a band who have broken the mold and made every album perfect in the past, they need to shape up. Don't say it's great just because you love Edge or Bono. Don't think it's wonderful because the band makes you feel like they care or that they are your friends. I know their music has that effect. It's part of what used to make them special.

So here is a list of things they could do to put the magic back into the music:

-Bono needs to spend more time in the studio while the band is writing the music. Bono has better instincts than Larry or Adam.

-Adam and Larry need to back off with the "We need to make a U2 hit" crap. The band did fine for a long time without trying to do that.

-Edge needs to ditch that Line 6 crap. They are cheap effects and it's messing up the studio and live sound.

-The band needs to find A new producer. Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite have let the band down on the last 2 albums. No quality control.

-The band needs limitations while in the studio. They do their best when they are on a budget and have time restrictions. No time to tinker and second guess. No time to overkill a song.
I mostly agree with you, but I'm glad U2 didn't quit after 2 albums because then it would never make another and we'd never know.

One review that gives me hope criticized the last album for its "cheesy lyrics", and said this didn't have any.

There's a bit of hope, but I have been very disappointed, as you have, including by the new single.

Thanks for expressing valid criticism, which will get you jeers, but some of us agree with you.

If your such a good producer why didnt U2 approach you to produce the new album etc? instead your apparantley leaving e-mails around the net asking people to contact you?

I hate it when people state opinions as facts, shart your saying HTDAAB is "crap"? again am sorry, but i like it mate.

I'd kill to be in that position. But I'm just a meager local producer, so it would never happen. Although I'd bet money I could do a better job of quality control for U2. They need someone to stand up and say they are losing their touch.

I'm a smart guy and a great listener. I can tell just by the titles, descriptions of the songs, and Get On Your Boots that this album is not going to deliver. Seriously....don't cut the band slack because you love them. We pay for this stuff. They have a duty to make sure I buy a concert ticket.

I am sure they wont find anyone to take your seat at he concert :lol: If you aren't there, the tour is screwed, lets be honest here.

Anyways, we the fans keep giving them a free pass?? If thats true, than it must be a conspiracy, because the critics, the entire music industry, Killers, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Fray, etc are all giving them a free pass. On second thought, no they are worshipping U2. Like others have said, ATYCLB and HTDAAB sold millions of copies in the Internet era and were followed by massively succesful tours. U2 regained their mass appeal and added to their fan base. In fact, it is the "free pass" fans that you talk about that seem to be the most critical of the 00's U2 here on this forum. U2 could not continue with just a few sycophants giving them a free pass. They continue by making great music.

All of the reviews for the last 2 albums were positive, but nothing mindblowing or eath shattering was suggested. The reviews so far for this album have all suggested: 1.)A departure from the 00's sound 2.)new innovative sounds and 3.)an eclectic, yet cohesive album that brilliantly puts together some of the best work U2 has ever done. We have heard this from people not given easily to being impressed or to bragging(Eno).

Dont cut the band slack? On an album we have not heard yet, cut them no slack at all? Please make sense. You are smart and a great listener- I am sure you are, but do you have X-ray thinking and listening such that you have heard and analyzed every track?

Silly season is in full swing at interference. Mods, merge this thread into some other 00's bashing thread... forgot, there are too many of those to find the right one! How about a new section entitled: those who want to bitch about damn good music that doesnt copy JT or AB? That way, all the complainers can get lost there. It is one thing to criticize or say this or that album does not meet U2's standards, it is quite another to call output crap constantly remaking the same thread over and over in the process.

Finally: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Stuck, Elevation, Kite, In a little While, Electrical storm,Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Original of the Species, Crumbs, a man and a woman, yahweh. Not bad.

I'd kill to be in that position. But I'm just a meager local producer, so it would never happen. Although I'd bet money I could do a better job of quality control for U2. They need someone to stand up and say they are losing their touch.

Why haven't they hired you yet? You have put out better work than UF, JT and AB, Eno/Lanois albums? Well shit, everyone, I have not had the good fortune of hearing this guy's work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I am bored waiting another month for the new album.

I think touring is part of being a rock n roll band and U2 have given us the fans 2 excellent tours this decade. 2 Tours that have showcased the tunes from each respected album from this decade at a high performing level.

I personally think ATYCLB and HTDAAB rescued U2 from 2 previous pieces of trash. But hey, that's only my opinion and I would never try to ever convince anyone that it is fact.

U2 cross multiple generations now and believe this type of new sound, if it's representative of the new album, will create a new breed of fan who will like none of what has preceded it.

I'm saying that the last two albums were not on the level with all of their previous work. And Get On Yor Boots SOUNDS LIKE A SONG THAT COULD BE FROM EITHER OF THEM. Therefore....it's a good chance that NLOTH is going to more of the same. And the titles stink. The descriptions stink. If it looks like a duck.........

I think touring is part of being a rock n roll band and U2 have given us the fans 2 excellent tours this decade. 2 Tours that have showcased the tunes from each respected album from this decade at a high performing level.

No way. The last tours don't hold a candle to Zoo TV and Popmart.

Wrong! ScandalCrow= pissed off fan because U2 has gone to hell.

Wrong again! You are a TROLL! :angry:

Any producer worth his meddle isn't spending their time on a message board slagging established artists. I'm kind of surprised that this thread still exists.

You'll be banned soon, so "enjoy it" while you can.

Wrong again! You are a TROLL! :angry:

Any producer worth his meddle isn't spending their time on a message board slagging established artists. I'm kind of surprised that this thread still exists.

You'll be banned soon, so "enjoy it" while you can.

That sounds like a personal attack. Maybe you should read the rules of the forum. :sexywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom