This place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
I don’t know if any of you all were on Murmurs, Ethan Kaplan’s R.E.M. message board, but apparently today it turned 25 years old. Except it didn’t, because it closed in 2014. Reading some of Ethan’s and others’ reflections today made me realize how grateful I was that this little corner of the internet still exists. I ran across this blog post, which also sums it up well:

https://athensmusicjunkie.com/2021/04/26/murmurs-atu2-and-other-places-i-can-no-longer-go/

I really miss the late-90s/early-00s message board culture. I used to have about as many message boards bookmarked as music blogs. Interference is the only one that I used to use that's still active and I really appreciate this place. I think that's why I "like" Reddit "so much" - if you curate it well enough, it's bearable and it resembles these old vBulletin forums.

If Interference ever shuts down, I'm sure it'll be a huge bummer for a little bit. Then we'll forget, since it's the Internet where everything lives forever and yet not at all.

I'm more of a fiction writer, but at some point I should write a hybrid memoir/exploratory non-fiction book about message board culture. There's an audience for it.

I have been on some form of web forum since I was 10 years old. Continuously. I’m not prepared for the impending time in society where this isn’t an option.

I somehow have never gotten suspended or banned from this place.

Ditto, but I was spoken to a few times. :wink: It's definitely been years since that happened. I might not post a lot, but I try to check in daily. This place will always be home.

Glad this place is still here. I don’t post all that much but I check in pretty regularly. I miss the film talk that brought me in back in the day but I suppose Reddit has that covered. As long as any you people are still commenting I’ll keep lurking by the figurative canapé table.

This must be the place

(I've been listening to a lot of Talking Heads lately)

I absolutely agree. I’ve been very nostalgic about the whole message board thing lately! And I’m so grateful this one still exists. Met some lovely people here back in the 00s, still keep in touch with one girl via Facebook. Amazing to think how much was going on here back then. Those were the days! ??????

Nostalgia is a real thing. Maybe this year is the return of Interference back to 2001 days.

Back
Top Bottom