Third-Eye Blind...BLATENT S.B.S. RIP OFF!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounded like any other Third Eye Blind song to me.

I like "Jumper"

This may have already been discussed but holy crap...I can't stand the fact that I heard a Third-Eye Blind song on my Sirius radio that is a BLATENT rip off of Sunday Bloody Sunday!

If Joe Satriani can sue Coldplay, and Tom Petty the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2 should sue Third Eye Blind for this:

Third Eye Blind on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Listen to "Non-Dairy Creamer"

Somebody call the motherfuckin' COPS!

Village-People-Cop.jpg

U2 have "borrowed" from other songs, themselves. The chorus of "Vertigo" is the same as the chorus of "You Keep Me Hanging On" by The Supremes. The vocal melody of "Please" is almost identical to Prince's "When Doves Cry". "Stuck" sounds like a dozen other soul/gospel tunes. And, of course, there is "Get On Your Boots", whose progenitors have been listed ad nauseum in other threads. And it's tough to really call it a coincidence, because all these artists are megastars and U2 have certainly heard these classic songs.

On the flip side, I've heard countless bands rip off the bass line from "With Or Without You" over the last 20+ years. There is even a piece of music near the end of BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, when they travel into the future, that totally copies it. It even has Edgey guitars in it. And, the end credits music on the original BEVERLY HILLS 90210 series sounded eerily similar to the chorus of "Where The Streets Have No Name".

Stuck is a blatant People Get Ready ripoff...and then John Mayer came along and ripped them both off.

To me, the intro of "All Because of You", sounds similar to "What's the Story Morning Glory" By Oasis. Just a slightly different tempo and a changed note here and there.

If Joe Satriani can sue Coldplay, and Tom Petty the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2 should sue Third Eye Blind for this:

It kinda pissed me off when I heard that Tom Petty was suing The Red Hot Chilli Peppers when both bands have had highly successful careers regardless of a recently "ripped off" chord progression.

WTF are you guys talking about? Tom Petty never sued or tried to sue the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Tom Petty to Chili Peppers: We’re Cool : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

Forget all that stuff about Tom Petty suing the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Earlier this month the New York Post reported that the remarkable similarities between the Chili Peppers’ “Dani California” and “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” could turn into a lawsuit. “Tom Petty was made aware of this and is looking into legal ramifications,” the item stated. “The Chili Peppers could be facing a huge plagiarism lawsuit.”

But Petty set the record straight himself in the July 14th issue of Rolling Stone, on newstands today. Here’s an excerpt:

RS: Have you heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Dani California” yet, because obviously it sounds a lot like “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.”

Petty: Yes, I have. Everyone everywhere is stopping me. The truth is, I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock & roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took “American Girl” [for their song “Last Nite”], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, “OK, good for you.” It doesn’t bother me.

RS: There have been news reports that you were going to sue the Chili Peppers.

Petty: If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe. But I don’t believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous lawsuits in this country without people fighting over pop songs.

I guess the opening five seconds sounded like a mix between the drum opening of "Seconds" and the initial notes of "SBS"....if so, it shows how unoriginal Third Eye Blind is. If not, then they're still lame. Their bridge was mildly amusing though: "Don't date Republicans."

Can I just say I'm tired of the anal-retention/hypocrisy that goes on with these music-lawsuit cases? (This is a bit off-topic, sorry.) I realize there's a fine line to be drawn between "sue every bastard who uses the same two-notes we did" and "let everyone rip us off and profit by it", but surely the bands who are in comfortable positions financially (like, U2, Tom Petty, etc.) can rest at ease if a fellow artist "borrows" their chord-progression or a part of a melody, provided that it's "outed" by the media and that everyone knows who originated it.

It's a different story if (a) the artist being ripped off is struggling to pay the bills, like most musicians (not sure about Satriani -- does he need money? 'Cause he sure is making an ass of himself in the Coldplay case), or (b) if the "borrowing" is a complete rip-off to the point where the new song couldn't even exist without the old one (for example, Oasis's B-side "Step Out", which was supposed to be on Morning Glory until the first person who heard it matched it to Stevie Wonder's "Uptight" -- did he actually think he would get away with that??).

The cases that piss me off, though, are the ones like The Rolling Stones' management versus Richard Ashcroft and the Verve. Way back in 1964/65, Mick and Keith wrote a song, "The Last Time", which was a bit UK hit, going to #1. Some months later, their manager hires some studio musicians to do an orchestrated version of some of their songs, including "The Last Time", for which the orchestration sounds nothing like Mick and Keith's song. 32 years later, The Verve obtain permission to use a sample of the orchestration before releasing their record. When "Bittersweet Symphony" becomes a big hit, suddenly ABCKO and the Stones' publishing cry 'foul' and argue that Ashcroft used too much of the sample, even though the violin melody, the lyrics, and the lyrical melody have no basis in the old track (which Mick and Keith had nothing to do with in the first place). So now R.Ashcroft has to suffer the indignity of his biggest song being officially credited to "Jagger and Richards" even though they didn't write the melody of the orchestral version which he (legally and with permission) sampled. I'm sure it was Mick and Keith who initiated the legal proceedings in that case, but obviously they had the power to stop it from going through, which would have been the graceful thing to do, especially when The Stones made their whole career on copying old blues guys who never earned a cent.

What I'm saying is, all musicians, by necessity, borrow things. Famous and wealthy groups should have the grace to turn a blind eye unless it's totally obvious (I mean, like beyond obvious), or else they run the risk of invoking the wrath of the rock'n'roll gods. . .

Couldn't have said it better myself. In fact I tried to, but couldn't :applaud:

This may have already been discussed but holy crap...I can't stand the fact that I heard a Third-Eye Blind song on my Sirius radio that is a BLATENT rip off of Sunday Bloody Sunday!

Third Eye Blind on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Listen to "Non-Dairy Creamer"

What about thet John Mayer song "Waiting On The World To Change". It's Totally Stuck In Moment. They should sue.

Stuck is a blatant People Get Ready ripoff...and then John Mayer came along and ripped them both off.

Beat me to the punch! Didn't see your post.

And Please is When Doves Cry. Get On Your Boots is Wild Wild West by Escape Club. There are others as well. Someone should start a thread about songs U2 has ripped on.

Get On Your Boots reminds me of Pump It Up by Elvis Costello. And the end of Walk On reminds me of the end of Eclipse by Pink Floyd.

Back
Top Bottom