the VERY best feature of all the reissues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
for me it is the lanois mix of a sort of homecoming. followed by saturday night.

nothing else in the way of 'special stuff' has been too thrilling.

anyone agree? disagree?

I liked the Paris show that came with the JT reissue... :shrug:

I found the Lanois mix to be a little odd. Way too Peter Gabriel/ Lion King esque for me.

I liked the Paris show that came with the JT reissue... :shrug:

I found the Lanois mix to be a little odd. Way too Peter Gabriel/ Lion King esque for me.

Damn. I actually agree with all of this.

If you mean it was the most laughable feature of the re-issues, then yes.

hahahah i find it laughable but still a VERY good addition to the box. This is the kind of thing I like about boxes like this, alternate single mixes that never got released finally seeing the light of day. Nice little curiosities to have among the B-sides and the pretty flat unfinished tracks. Anyone who says Rise Up is better than I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For or Saturday Night better than Fire is kidding themselves :huh:

while i admit i usually hate all the demos and such they include in the reissues, i'm glad they're there. it's just a nice bonus. usually though the only thing i appreciate are the dvds. even though i've yet to actually watch any of them! that's just laziness on my part though. :lol:

:reject:

Love, love, love the bonus stuff. It's great to listen to the extra discs and hear music from the same era that wouldn't make sense on the original albums we all know and love. Some of my favorites so far:

Boy: the U23 EP in good sound quality, and yes, even the alternate, acoustic guitar-heavy mix of I Will Follow
October: A Celebration with great sound, the wealth of live tracks and BBC sessions and even the Common Ground Remix of Tomorrow... actually, October has the best bonus disc of all the reissues so far
War: This one falters a bit, but I agree with Dan Smee that Angels too Tied to the Ground is fantastic. It's nice to have the older 12" remixes in decent quality, but I could live without the modern remixes of NYD.
Unforgettable Fire: This is a close runner-up to October for best bonus disc. Disappearing Act and Yoshino Blossom are great outtakes, the quirky remix of ASOH is interesting (c'mon, having Peter Gabriel sing backing vox on a U2 song is cool... although I do agree that it sounds a bit Lion King-ish in places. Actually, the "ooh way oh way ohs" sound a lot like the Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town").
Joshua Tree: It's great to have so much unreleased stuff from the legendary JT sessions, even though it's obvious why none of it turned up on the album. Plus the Edge is correct in saying that this is U2's best set of b-sides.

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea...

I like the B-sides from The Joshua Tree a lot. Especially Desert Of Our Love and Rise Up sound really optimistic and happy, and to be honest U2 didn't have a lot of those back in the days. They may sound unfinished, but the melodies are there and I like them. :up:

Honestly, I really like the booklets. The music is good, but for me I've really enjoyed the essays by all those involved in the making of those albums. The docs have also been good -- even though I've seen them before (and I was surprised the "Classic Albums: Joshua Tree" special wasn't on the JT DVD), it's always fascinating to get a squid's eye view of the process...

Honestly, I really like the booklets. The music is good, but for me I've really enjoyed the essays by all those involved in the making of those albums. The docs have also been good -- even though I've seen them before (and I was surprised the "Classic Albums: Joshua Tree" special wasn't on the JT DVD), it's always fascinating to get a squid's eye view of the process...

is there somewhere i can download or see these booklets online for free?

is there somewhere i can download or see these booklets online for free?

Here you can see it:

u2_2copy.jpg

It's even a little bit open so you get a peak from the inside!

hahahah i find it laughable but still a VERY good addition to the box. This is the kind of thing I like about boxes like this, alternate single mixes that never got released finally seeing the light of day. Nice little curiosities to have among the B-sides and the pretty flat unfinished tracks. Anyone who says Rise Up is better than I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For or Saturday Night better than Fire is kidding themselves :huh:

Saturday Night owns Fire

i want to clarify that it think that mix is one of the best parts of the reissue because it is one of the few u2 things i hadn't heard before that was worth hearing. not because it is itself so great. it's just interesting. also, i wish they hadn't added new vocals to some of those old musical bits. i would have preferred to hear them as raw unfinished tracks like the salome cd's. and as for saturday night, i like it as it is. but i really want to read the booklets but i am not going to shell out for them. u2 has gotten plenty of my money over the years and they're not getting any more...

I really like Wave of Sorrow. It's my favorite of all the bonus features. :reject:

The Paris DVD, plus the Red Hill Mining Town video, I think it's great:reject:

Yoshimo Blossom or whatever it's called is good too...oh yeah, and that other version of With a Shout.

I'm the only one who doesn't have any of the remaster deluxe editions? :reject:
I have Boctowar remastered but not the bonus cd's. And I've been wanting to buy Joshua Tree deluxe but there are always a few things that I want more.

Paris DVD.

Too bad they didn't use a concert directed by Phil Joanou for Rattle and Hum.

Here you can see it:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m28/missmovie/u2_2copy.jpg
It's even a little bit open so you get a peak from the inside!

hahahahaha lovely

Love, love, love the bonus stuff. It's great to listen to the extra discs and hear music from the same era that wouldn't make sense on the original albums we all know and love. Some of my favorites so far:

Boy: the U23 EP in good sound quality, and yes, even the alternate, acoustic guitar-heavy mix of I Will Follow
October: A Celebration with great sound, the wealth of live tracks and BBC sessions and even the Common Ground Remix of Tomorrow... actually, October has the best bonus disc of all the reissues so far
War: This one falters a bit, but I agree with Dan Smee that Angels too Tied to the Ground is fantastic. It's nice to have the older 12" remixes in decent quality, but I could live without the modern remixes of NYD.
Unforgettable Fire: This is a close runner-up to October for best bonus disc. Disappearing Act and Yoshino Blossom are great outtakes, the quirky remix of ASOH is interesting (c'mon, having Peter Gabriel sing backing vox on a U2 song is cool... although I do agree that it sounds a bit Lion King-ish in places. Actually, the "ooh way oh way ohs" sound a lot like the Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town").
Joshua Tree: It's great to have so much unreleased stuff from the legendary JT sessions, even though it's obvious why none of it turned up on the album. Plus the Edge is correct in saying that this is U2's best set of b-sides.

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea...

I absolutely agree with you but would probably be a bit harsher towards the War bonus disc. I have to say I only got it since I LOVE Endless Deep, it's great to have the live tracks off the New Years Day 12" remastered on CD....and I'm a completist. I felt the War bonus disc was a major disappointment for me with so many remixes of TWO songs.

The Boy and October discs are fantastic, like you said the Three EP remastered sounds fucking GORGEOUS. I'll never forget hearing Boy/Girl on that CD for the first time, it was so bloody crisp and clear! :)

The live tracks on October are great too, BBC Sessions are by far the best on Earth. Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are totally different to me because of the stacks of B-sides for each (their best two sets of B-sides in my opinion)

looking forward to seeing what they might put on Achtung Baby

yeah they'll definitely have a few I bet. If I'm not mistaken the Perfecto Remix of Even Better Than The Real Thing was more popular (as a single) than the original? Makes you wonder about the POP disc.

I'd say the Lanois mix backing vocal does sound a bit mid-80's and a bit "Life In A Northern Town". More like "Life in a North Dublin Town"? :wave:

I agree with most if not all of the post listed below.

Back
Top Bottom