The U2 fan's Dublin pilgrimage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Can we collect info, places to see, u2 sites and monuments here BY all those who have done the Dublin trip, FOR all those that are about to do the Dublin trip.

Places to see like the Clarence, Mount Temple, Hanover Quay, Cedarwood Rd, certain u2 bars in temple bar, the Canadian embassy (wink, wink), hell, even the General Post Office (isnt that where Bob Hewson spent his life working?) Any stops of significance that are must-see's for the U2 fan, and any tips and best advice about going about seeing them.

Slane Castle, of course!

Some website has a page that lists a bunch of places... @U2, maybe?

Can we collect info, places to see, u2 sites and monuments here BY all those who have done the Dublin trip, FOR all those that are about to do the Dublin trip.

Places to see like the Clarence, Mount Temple, Hanover Quay, Cedarwood Rd, certain u2 bars in temple bar, the Canadian embassy (wink, wink), hell, even the General Post Office (isnt that where Bob Hewson spent his life working?) Any stops of significance that are must-see's for the U2 fan, and any tips and best advice about going about seeing them.

Canadian Embassy?

LOLO, why? Am I missing something?

@U2.com has an excellent, reasonably up to date Dublin guide.

@U2's Guide to U2's Dublin

EDIT: Or at least it used to! They're experimenting with an interactive Google Map instead of the text and photos they used to have. It's described as a work in progress and, for me anyway, it doesn't appear to be working at all.

I think U2TOUR.DE - U2 News, Berichte, Photos, U2 Forum, Setlists, U2 Kalender has something similar too.

One place I'd recommend as a tourist stop is Kilmainham jail (where U2 filmed the video for 'A Celebration' many years ago). U2 connection aside, the place is incredible.

Somewhere you won't find any more is the Dandelion Market, where U2 played some of their earliest gigs. It's long demolished and replaced by the St Stephens Green shopping centre - but there is a plaque on the wall!

The homes of Bono and Edge in particular aren't that hard to find, but I personally wouldn't bother. There's so much to see and do in Dublin itself that I don't think it's worth the effort to see some high walls and gates. Others may disagree, but I for one wouldn't go to stake out their actual houses.

Their old houses are easier to get to. Also a lot around the Quay has changed/been renovated/demolished etc. It's not the same now that Dockers is gone. :sad:

Captain Planet food ... lots of U2 stuff in there, food is not that good.
Windmill Lane Studios
Hanover Quay Studios
U2 Store just after the h'penny bridge
Of course Kiliney via the Dart ....
Hard rock cafe with ZOO TV trabant inside

Been there, done that ... :applaud::applaud::applaud::D

You can have lunch at Nude in Suffolk St, a fast, but healthy food restaurant owned by Bono and run by his brother, it's near the Trinity College and Grafton Street, just round the corner from the Tourist Information offfice.

Don't forget the Ha' Penny Bridge and the Merchants Arch. in Temple Bar Pub, there are some pics of th band on display, but I think they're for the tourist, more than because of a connection.

I've remembered there are some U2 walking tours, I think they depart from St. Stephen's Green, one of them is guided by a fan called daveyg, who posts in @U2 and I've seen him posting once here too. He knows everything.

The homes of Bono and Edge in particular aren't that hard to find, but I personally wouldn't bother. There's so much to see and do in Dublin itself that I don't think it's worth the effort to see some high walls and gates. Others may disagree, but I for one wouldn't go to stake out their actual houses.

Actually the trip down the coast to Killiney by train is beautiful and Bono's gates are definitely worth seeing/reading if you're a diehard fan. Of course I'd never think of just "staking out" his home...I think we were there for about 15 minutes taking photos and reading..didn't want to intrude too much on the man and his family's private life.

Guinness Factory!!!!! Link - Guinness is nice, and U2 drink it :drool:

i stayed in the paramount hotel just round the corner from the ol' Clarence. I saw the edge getting out of his nissan primera on the second day of my holiday. I shouted 'OI, EDGE!!' he turned around and gave a face that just said 'what?' :| i stuck my middle finger up at him from the safety of the other side of the road, but that didn't stop him. Fucker ran across the street headbutted me to the floor and set fire to my shoes! :angry:

i stayed in the paramount hotel just round the corner from the ol' Clarence. I saw the edge getting out of his nissan primera on the second day of my holiday. I shouted 'OI, EDGE!!' he turned around and gave a face that just said 'what?' :| i stuck my middle finger up at him from the safety of the other side of the road, but that didn't stop him. Fucker ran across the street headbutted me to the floor and set fire to my shoes! :angry:

:lol:

I went to Dublin once in the 90's and never even looked for any U2 sites, still enjoyed it very much. My mother bought me a U2 Croke Park shirt there when she went on another trip to Ireland, that's as close as I got :shrug:

@U2's map doesn't show it but check out Upper Sheriff Street. This is where parts of 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' is filmed. Here is the map location - Google Maps

If you look west on Sheriff St. where it meets Castleforbes Rd(look for stone wall on north side of Sherrif St.) you will find this part of the vid -
eqntqf.jpg

real photo(from u2tour.de) http://i44.tinypic.com/ddjbpg.jpg

I've been actually working on some Google Earth stuff on exact U2 locations as a hobby. I don't mean approximate locations, but exact down to within a few feet. I've got where Bono was at the end of the Stay video exactly or if anyone has ever wondered where some of those photos were taken on the AB cover(railway crossing) or other promo AB shots. Tangier to Joshua Tree! It's taken awhile to do but I've been wanting to make a Google Earth thread for some time so maybe soon when I get time.

The @U2 site above is working for me...I used that quite a bit when I was there last year. Didn't do too much "U2" stuff, but visited Kilmainham Gaol, The Clarence Hotel, Windmill Lane Studios/U2 Wall and Slane Castle...

Guide to U2's Dublin on Google Maps

I went at end of May...Highlights for me were:
Windmill Lane
Kilmainham Gaol (Jail)
Slane Castle

2505267622_cced862663.jpg

2504413517_d61d1773a3.jpg

2504467321_01a2a94dd1.jpg

Have fun!

This thread is similar: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/dublin-u2-pilgrimage-time-188373.html

Hanover Quay? Check.
DSCF0215.jpg

Kilmainham Gaol? Check.
DSCF0206.jpg

They're not uploaded, but I also have shots of me in front of the Clarence, on the Ha'penny Bridge (near the record store/U2 store edgeplaytheblues is talking about :yes: ) and at St. James Gate/Guinness factory. And we didn't get a chance to stop in, but we also got shots of the Dublin Hard Rock & Temple Bar. :drool: My God - if given the chance, I'd leave this afternoon to go back with just my toothbrush & a credit card. :heart: Dublin :heart:

dont know the PC way to ask this, but does anyone have detailed instructions on how to get to the gates across from the Canadian Embassy? I just want to get a picture in front of them since this will probably be my one and only trip from Canada over to Ireland! , but i hear its quite a trip out of town? buses? taxi? what do i ask for? an address?

no clue, if someone could fill me in that would be great, as i've alwasy drempt of this.... and i promise i'm not a stalker, lol

Back
Top Bottom