The U2 Conference is Back! April 2013!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cathal-andy-conference.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking as an academic who just got back from a (pretty good) conference, I'm in no hurry to mesh any band I like with the possible drudgery and/or stress of a conference. My idea of music at conferences is retiring to my room at the end of the day to listen to some cool tunes.

That said, if they were to put me on a plane to talk about setlists, then sure.

You will be giving a lecture entitled "Ax's Thoughts on One and Ultraviolet".

I have it on good authority that the band thinks that this and events like it are an utter and complete waste of time.

Bono thinks that if you want to understand U2's music better, pick up a newspaper. Or read the Bible. Or better yet, just play one of their f**king records.

This information has been confirmed and verified.

:applaud:

I thought you'd say boo-urns!

tumblr_lhugeyuwca1qfc3h9o1_400.jpg

I think the idea of lectures is interesting. But really, unless it is a scientific convention, people don't attend these for the lectures. They attend for the showings, dealer tables, music, etc. So if there are some lectures in a side room, I might attend one or two to see what they are about. If interesting, I'll stay. If not or if I strongly disagree, I'll go elsewhere. As long as there's a place showing on a BIG SCREEN some of U2's older videos and as long as there are dealer tables featuring some cool items as well as some stuff from related bands, then it's worthwhile for a day or two.

There's room for this sort of event as well as a fun time out with fans/tribute bands.

Those interested in the latter, why didn't you come to Clawfest that we organized for Vegas in July? That was epic fun... so if you're interested in that sort of thing then there WAS that sort of thing in July - we had a blast.

For this conference though, I'm looking forward to a cerebral discussion about U2, it will be great too. I'm planning on going to this one as a lot of my good U2 pals live in Ohio and it will be a chance to catch up with them as well. Getting together with other U2 fans for any reason is good in my book.

Exactly! Many people don't necessarily like tribute or cover bands either (or whatever other U2-ey flavor/spin the event has on it), but it doesn't necessarily stop them from attending these similar type events and having a good time meeting/reuniting with like-minded U2 fans. Somehow, they manage. :up:

Oh yes, and I met the amazing Cathal at this conference, whose book alone is worth its own session at the next one.

Meeting people is easy, Andrew :)

A session sounds lovely, provided it's a pub-based one!

And you look like a wheelin-dealin boxing promoter in that photo, I look like a corruptible referee.

For this conference though, I'm looking forward to a cerebral discussion about U2, it will be great too. I'm planning on going to this one as a lot of my good U2 pals live in Ohio and it will be a chance to catch up with them as well. Getting together with other U2 fans for any reason is good in my book.

A cerebral discussion before the cerebral destruction with Festy. Lock up your livers y'all.

Too bad for Cathal that I am sober for 3+ years (pretty great for me). It would have been wild if he & I had met before I got cleaned up like Adam Clayton.

Yeah, I head-butted myself when I remembered that you were dry when I returned to this thread later, so my apologies Andy for any offence. I've actually cut waaay back on the boozing in the last year, often having soft drinks when all around are shoving their faces deeply into buckets of booze. Although I do still enjoy a wee sesh now n again.

But for the conference in 2009 I was staying in Raleigh with an old colleague, an English guy who married a lass from Nashville. He dragged me out on a huge bender on the Friday night to a bar where a U2 tribute band were playing. I'd sprained my lower back quite painfully earlier that day on the road down from Charlottesville with BlueRoomGirl. Standing, sitting, lying down were all uncomfortable. After being forced to skull many pints of Stella by Richard, I was up dancing around to the pretend U2. A veritable miracle drug. And then the Saturday night was the concert with a very enjoyable tailgate party beforehand. And then very early on Sunday morning there was an important Old Firm footie match. Some of this may be partly why I was less engaged in the wordier conference sessions during the mornings than I may otherwise have been.

But it was still a terrific weekend. I'd certainly recommend checking out the conference to anyone considering it. I've since learned that buckets of booze are not necessary.

U2... conference?? :laugh:

Sorry, no disrespect meant to people taking part in this but... the word 'conference' I usually associate with corporate topics like Quality Management, Supply Chain Management, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma etc.

No it isn't. Conferences are common events for the scientific community to get together and share their knowledge and experience in certain fields. I work in science, we have a lot of conferences on different subjects, some more interesting than others. I don't think having a U2 conference is THAT odd and to be honest, when I saw the programme yesterday I thought: Damn, that sounds amazing, not only as a U2 fan but as someone interested in popular culture. I work in cultural studies and we have had conferences that dealt with a lot of issues in popular culture. We had a Rolling Stones, a Beatles, a Bob Dylan conference. Why not a U2 conference? Their work, history, life and music touches many aspects of life. If I could go there I surely would, but it's too far away. I think the programme is interesting. U2 isn't an isolated phenomenon, instead the discussion can touch various fields of popular culture, but also philsophical and spiritual issues.

So yes, I don't think it's such an odd idea and coming from the scientific community I can tell you there are conferences on issues that are much, much stranger than U2.

U2... conference?? :laugh:

Sorry, no disrespect meant to people taking part in this but... the word 'conference' I usually associate with corporate topics like Quality Management, Supply Chain Management, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma etc.

Yeah. I stand by what I said on the first page when this thread started last year...it's silly.

U2 has conferences every few years that are worth attending. They're called tours.

No it isn't. Conferences are common events for the scientific community to get together and share their knowledge and experience in certain fields. I work in science, we have a lot of conferences on different subjects, some more interesting than others. I don't think having a U2 conference is THAT odd and to be honest, when I saw the programme yesterday I thought: Damn, that sounds amazing, not only as a U2 fan but as someone interested in popular culture. I work in cultural studies and we have had conferences that dealt with a lot of issues in popular culture. We had a Rolling Stones, a Beatles, a Bob Dylan conference. Why not a U2 conference? Their work, history, life and music touches many aspects of life. If I could go there I surely would, but it's too far away. I think the programme is interesting. U2 isn't an isolated phenomenon, instead the discussion can touch various fields of popular culture, but also philsophical and spiritual issues.

So yes, I don't think it's such an odd idea and coming from the scientific community I can tell you there are conferences on issues that are much, much stranger than U2.

I think the difference is is that a conference(like that in a scientific community) is one where people are actively participating and can potentially effect that community. You are all active participants in that community, therefore your ideas and experiences can actually make change. None of these participants are active U2 members or part of the team, so any ideas or experiences don't effect tours, output, songs, or even what the new renewal gift will be. I think a more appropriate word would be "convention", it's like a Star Trek convention for U2 geeks, not that there's anything wrong with that, but that seems to be a more accurate description.

I have it on good authority that the band thinks that this and events like it are an utter and complete waste of time.

Bono thinks that if you want to understand U2's music better, pick up a newspaper. Or read the Bible. Or better yet, just play one of their f**king records.

This information has been confirmed and verified.

But has it been remastered?

I went to this conference with intention to hook up with all the ladies. It didn't happen. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom