The songs/performances you never tire of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
What are the U2 songs or live versions that you never get sick of hearing? For me, it's

Pretty much any version of Streets
One in the studio and from Slane Castle
Walk On, mainly from Slane and Boston

Other songs come close, but these are my top 3.

Live:
Where The Streets Have No Name
Zooropa
Until The End Of The World

Acrobat and NLOTH2 studio. can listen to those on repeat x infinity.

I generally never tire of the studio versions, probably because I only listen to them once in a blue moon, when I'm really in the mood.

As far as live versions go, I tire of everything quickly. The only things I'm never tired of are new songs. That's why I'm not keen on bands playing lots of old songs unless it's a once-in-a-while kind of thing.

Has to be Bad for me.

Every other song goes through phases, but that one always remains a constant, no matter how many times I hear it.

With the exception of the Elevation tour, I've enjoyed practically every other manifestation. The Lovetown versions remain definitive though IMO, both the band and Bono were in perfect synchronicity.

Everything since then it's been a little more restrained, but I still get a tingle down my spine when I hear that chiming sequencer.

i'm still bummed bullet the blue sky never made an appearance on 360, despite the general consensus that the song needed a break after vertigo.

the song is killer live... they just screwed the pooch on the vertigo version, much like they did with the vertigo version of streets... which came back with a vengeance on 360.

I thought bad on the elevation tour was pretty cool.

I think it stems from my dislike of the Elevation tour in general.

I just felt they became less interesting as a live act, the performances seemed to lack genuine spontaneity and Bono's voice sounded a bit too strained to my ears.

Plus I thought that the live versions of the ATYCLB tracks were pretty much identical to their studio counterparts, there wasn't a great deal of development.

On the one hand, it's great that U2's musical expertise has reached such a point that they are able to reproduce songs so completely on stage, but on the other hand things can start to sound a bit clinical.

I think this goes back to what Bono was saying in that press-conference, that as U2 get better and better at learning their craft, they increasingly run the risk of ending up with something very good, rather than something truly extraordinary.

For me, this has been something they've constantly been struggling with over the past 10 years, both in the studio and on stage.

With all that said, I can appreciate that the ATYCLB/Elevation era was the moment the band recaptured mass popular appeal and everybody fell back in love with them again. So I'll always be thankful to it for that.

These four songs should be played at every single show:
Streets
Bad
New Years Day
UTEOTW

I get tired of shit easily and I've heard them all a billion times but those are all still MONEY.

Live Performances:

Streets
One Tree Hill
Bad
Mysterious Ways
Zooropa
City of Blinding Lights
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
All I Want Is You

Studio Songs:

Out of Control
Pride (In The Name of Love) - [but only when I hear it on the radio :wink:]
Even Better Than The Real Thing
New York
No Line On The Horizon II
The Playboy Mansion
Angel of Harlem

Kite, Sydney 2006.
With Or Without You, Milan 2005.
The Fly, Boston 2001.
Bad/40/Streets, Boston 2001.
Mofo, Mexico City 1998.
Bullet, Running & Streets from Sydney and or Dublin 1993 they never bettered that segue...
Mysterious Ways, 1992 [the one from the zoo radio thingy broadcast]
Exit, Denver 1987.
11 O' Clock Tick Tock & The Electric Co, Loreley 1983

^They didn't play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock @ Loreley. The UABRS version is from Boston. Great version though.

I recently just had to listen to SYCMIOYO about 4 times in a row. God that's an amazing song.

All my other "I could listen to this forever"s are fairly typical, listed already songs.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock is amazing also!!! (just not the 2001 version :no: )

Back
Top Bottom