The SOI Singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
The SOI singles have no chart positions in the uk singles charts.

Were they not eligible to chart there? Or did they just, not chart?

Does anyone know?

The UK singles charts only count sales of singles and none of the SOI 'singles' were released for sale. They were all radio-only. With the album having been in everyone's iTunes I guess they didn't saw the need of releasing anything for sale.

In that case then, YTBTAM is U2's lowest ever charting single in the UK post-Boy

Pretty sure they were still released as singles, they just didn't chart. I might be wrong though

The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, and Song for Someone were released to radio as singles, but none was ever sold in the UK as a physical single or a paid download.

I'm pretty sure the UK singles chart calculation has included streaming since Summer 2014, so SOI album cuts would have been eligible for the chart when they hit Spotify in October of that year, but by then the free iTunes release had been out for a month. Apple Music hadn't even launched at the time, so the album was only available as a free download for the first few weeks, which doesn't count as a "sale" for chart purposes. The album did stream initially on Beats Music, but I believe that was US only?

Anyway, The Miracle didn't chart because it was initially only available as a free download as part of the album.

The single version of Every Breaking Wave was a free download on U2.com. There was never a download for sale or a streaming single (other than the U2.com stream).

Song for Someone was released as a streaming single on Spotify in September 2015, so it would have been eligible to chart, it just didn't. It wasn't noticeably different from the album version, anyway.

So maybe that makes Song for Someone U2's worst performing chart-eligible single, failing to chart at all?

Last edited:
The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, and Song for Someone were released to radio as singles, but none was ever sold in the UK as a physical single or a paid download.

I'm pretty sure the UK singles chart calculation has included streaming since Summer 2014, so SOI album cuts would have been eligible for the chart when they hit Spotify in October of that year, but by then the free iTunes release had been out for a month. Apple Music hadn't even launched at the time, so the album was only available as a free download for the first few weeks, which doesn't count as a "sale" for chart purposes. The album did stream initially on Beats Music, but I believe that was US only?

Anyway, The Miracle didn't chart because it was initially only available as a free download as part of the album.

The single version of Every Breaking Wave was a free download on U2.com. There was never a download for sale or a streaming single (other than the U2.com stream).

Song for Someone was released as a streaming single on Spotify in September 2015, so it would have been eligible to chart, it just didn't. It wasn't noticeably different from the album version, anyway.

So maybe that makes Song for Someone U2's worst performing chart-eligible single, failing to chart at all?

Interesting read, think it would be unfair on song for someone though .when it was only up on streaming sites, so it didn't have the full release that say best thing has had

Yeah, that's probably a bit unfair for SFS, but it was the only single from that album that was available in a chart-eligible format right out of the gate.

I suppose when you give your album away for free for a month, you are pretty much conceding any chart performance.

Back
Top Bottom