The Remasters and their impact on future releases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelaj

Refugee
As we know, U2 are in the process of remastering the "back catalogue".

The question which strikes me is what their definition of "back catalogue" actually is - i.e. how many albums will be remastered?

It is a lock they will go to Zooropa, and Pop is also a likely candidate. But what after this?

Will they re-release All That You Can't Leave Behind & How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, ostensibly "remastered" but as an excuse to include B-Sides and Demos with the "new packaging".

On that note, will the deluxe packaging of the remasters be used going forward? It would be damn annoying if the forthcoming album didn't carry on the slipcase/book format in some form.

Finally, how do we think the remaining remasters will be grouped/boxed? The first set is 1980-1983, comprising 4 albums. I can't see another 4 album box unless it includes Achtung Baby, which makes no artistic sense. Will they switch to 3-album boxes from now?

My guess is that they'll stop after Pop. The last two albums probably won't be touched when there is a new standard of music quality.

I don't think the rest of the 80's will be put in an album box since TJT was already released. Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop will probably be kept together in the boxes. Passengers will probably never be addressed by the band again. Which is sad.

I want to add that with these releases the band might be more likely to leave some really good songs off the future albums and singles for a future remaster or boxset.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB won't be touched for a long time yet. Unless there's a another cash grab,ala U2:18. maybe a year after the new album.

That AB set could be quite long, what with the MW and EBTTRT remixes...

It would be interesting if for the POP remaster they put two versions of the album out, the remastered original, and then a totally revamped POP.. the version they wanted or something.

It would be interesting to see an Achtung Baby remaster. It would have to be a triple disc, considering the massive amount of remixes available from that album.

Another issue would be "early" versions and unreleased tracks. Haven't we heard most of these via the Salome bootleg? Wonder if they'd include them.

Also, while I love the Boy/October/War remasters, I feel like Achtung Baby deserves something "bigger", like The Joshua Tree received. Achtung Baby is, to this poster at least, just as important and popular of an album as the Joshua Tree and, in my humble opinion, the superior piece of musical genius.

I think Achtung Baby should receive the big box set like JT did and come with the original, remastered album (God, how great would that sound? Make those drums beat like a Timbaland track!), but it should also come with TWO CDs of B-Sides/Remixes/Unreleaseds and a DVD of a previously unreleased show (An Outside Broadcast show would be loverly. Though I'd love to see one of the famous Sarajevo linkups as well).

As for Zooropa, I'd LOVE to hear some of the songs talked about in Bill Flanagan's book "Until The End of the World", such as the early (rockier) versions of songs such as "Wake Up Dead Man".

Last edited:
I feel like the issue of a Pop remaster needs its own post.

Before I continue, allow me to state that I am an ardent Pop defender. I love the album. But I do see its weak points (The Playboy Mansion is a good melody, but as a song it's a little flat and the lyrics are outdated).

As for how the rerelease should be handled, I think it should go something like this:

Rerelease the album in remastered form (duh).

As for the bonus CD, obviously I'd love to hear the unreleased tracks, but I think there's going to be an obvious issue when it comes to remixes, and I'm not talking about the 4,500 Mofo and Discotheque remixes. I mean the "retooled" versions of the songs that seem inevitable when dealing with this album, similar to those released with the Best of 1990-2000 CD.

My theory is that, if they do retool the songs, the following changes need to be made:

First of all, retool ALL the songs, even those on the Best Of package. Those remixes weren't perfect. Discotheque is good, but the "rockier" version is just too...plain for me. That dirty guitar sound on the original version is too good to replace. That said, the remixed version on the Best of had a superior intro to the song. The vocals on the remix were also superior to the original version. But for God's sake, please please PLEASE: Bring back the Boom-Cha! It's not Discotheque without it and the space where the Boom-Cha used to be sounds empty without it.

Leave "Do You Feel Loved" and "Mofo" the fuck alone.

Take the bass out of the "remixed" intro of Staring at the Sun and turn Edge's vocal harmonys up and you have yourself a hell of a tune.

Stick with the original version of "Gone", please.

And as for the DVD which should come with this album (but probably won't):

The Sarajevo Show. Not only is it a huge piece of U2 history but its a decent piece of European history as well. Sure, Bono's voice was shot, but that makes the show so much more poignant when the crowd picks up for him. Hopefully there's some good footage of this show. If not, whatever you do, don't release the Vegas show.

Unfortunately, I don't think Pop or Zooropa are destined for the "big" release like JT, and they'll probably get released with a smaller, "October"ish release, sans DVD.

It would be interesting to see an Achtung Baby remaster. It would have to be a triple disc, considering the massive amount of remixes available from that album.

Another issue would be "early" versions and unreleased tracks. Haven't we heard most of these via the Salome bootleg? Wonder if they'd include them.

I actually counted the b-sides/remixes on the AB singles and there are around 28. :lol:

I imagine there was a lot of stuff done after they left Berlin. If three songs came out of Take You Down alone, imagine how many other songs were inspired by the Berlin sessions?

john tree, i like your ideas :up: i'd buy those discs.

i really think they'll go up to pop. they need to. but i hope they just remaster, and not remix or rerecord these songs. if they do, then they need to be on a separate disc, leaving the actual album intact.

I'm pretty sure ATYCLB and HTDAAB will be part of the remasters program. Paul McGuinness did say that the entire catalog would be remastered. And both of those albums have plenty of b-sides/remixes/leftovers to fill up the second disc, especially those songs that were exclusive to that iTunes box set that no one can even get anymore. This would also be a good opportunity to perhaps correct the overcompression of HTDAAB.

And as for Pop being reworked, I don't see it happening as it would be a bit redundant. Between the single versions of IGWSHA/Please/LNOE and the reworked versions of Discotheque/SATS/Gone, half of it's been reworked already.

I'm pretty sure ATYCLB and HTDAAB will be part of the remasters program. Paul McGuinness did say that the entire catalog would be remastered. And both of those albums have plenty of b-sides/remixes/leftovers to fill up the second disc, especially those songs that were exclusive to that iTunes box set that no one can even get anymore. This would also be a good opportunity to perhaps correct the overcompression of HTDAAB.
yeah, i personally think they'll do those too, but i'd bet money they'll at least go to pop. the whole money-grabbing crap aside, htdaab needs remastering, which is kinda sad, really. that album is proof with the loudness war, no one wins. :sad:

I think the number of remasters they release (in terms of how far through their catalogue they go) is all going to be determined by how fast the CD declines in the next few years. We all know one of the main reasons why they have been bringing these remasters out (aside from the fact that, yes the early albums were crying out for it) is that they want to capitalise on the CD market before its too late.

I mean, in the UK the last 3 remasters fared really badly - they only sold somewhere in the region of 2000 copies between them in the first couple of weeks - and I was one of the ones who bought all 3! Personally, I can envisage them releasing up to Achtung Baby but no more after that, unless they really rush the rest out and saturate the market; a market that is gonna probably be overloaded with U2 again before too long.

Depeche Mode didn't ommit Exciter, which is from 2001, when they were putting on sale their remastered catalogue, so I think it's highly probable that ATYCLB is also taken into consideration.

I just hope they don't leave anything off of the Achtung Baby and Pop remasters because of all the remixes. I was disappointed in the Best Of 1990-2000 b-side disc when it was filled up with remixes and left off plenty of good real songs, ie - Holy Joe, Salome, Where Did It All Go Wrong, Big Girls Are Best, etc.

I think the number of remasters they release (in terms of how far through their catalogue they go) is all going to be determined by how fast the CD declines in the next few years. We all know one of the main reasons why they have been bringing these remasters out (aside from the fact that, yes the early albums were crying out for it) is that they want to capitalise on the CD market before its too late.

I mean, in the UK the last 3 remasters fared really badly - they only sold somewhere in the region of 2000 copies between them in the first couple of weeks - and I was one of the ones who bought all 3! Personally, I can envisage them releasing up to Achtung Baby but no more after that, unless they really rush the rest out and saturate the market; a market that is gonna probably be overloaded with U2 again before too long.

I don't have any concrete evidence to back this up, but the remasters seemed to do really well in the US. Many Best Buy stores sold out of their first shipments during the week of release, and the boxed set was firmly planted in amazon.com's Top 10 sellers for at least two weeks leading up to the release date. There are very few $60+ boxed sets that have done that.

It would be interesting if for the POP remaster they put two versions of the album out, the remastered original, and then a totally revamped POP.. the version they wanted or something.

I would love a remastered POP. It is by far the one of the most consistent and interesting albums released by U2. If I could also get Santiago '98 on DVD with better audio......:drool:

yeah, i personally think they'll do those too, but i'd bet money they'll at least go to pop. the whole money-grabbing crap aside, htdaab needs remastering, which is kinda sad, really. that album is proof with the loudness war, no one wins. :sad:

Indeed. I could see them getting to that album in a year or so and remixing those tracks to have a more dynamic sound. Hell, I'd approve.

Yes. Oh yes.

If they're serious about that, the Pop remaster would be their last chance to do it.

As for Zooropa, I'd LOVE to hear some of the songs talked about in Bill Flanagan's book "Until The End of the World", such as the early (rockier) versions of songs such as "Wake Up Dead Man".

I`m also very curious about that.
I like to see rough takes from Wake Up Dead Man , Last Night On Earth and If God Will Send His Angels.
Those three were already from the Zooropa sessions.
And what about The Wanderer ( Bono vocals ).
And that other song called Babel?

And also , if they think of putting Hold Me , Thrill Me , Kiss me , Kill Me on the remasters 2nd disc , wich one would it be on?
Zooropa or Pop?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

And also, if they think of putting Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me on the remasters 2nd disc, wich one would it be on?
Zooropa or Pop?

Considering that POP has a massive stockpile of b-sides and ZOOROPA comparatively few, it would make better sense to put it on ZOOROPA's. However, since they were both released in 1995, it would make the most sense (and could boost sales a nudge) to add it to a remaster of Passengers: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACKS 1.

Below I am going to post a summary of what material U2 has for the remaining albums. All of this material (bar Mercy) has been released in some form and is hence a good candidate for appearing on expanded editions.

Hopefully this may help us to see where the band may have to fill the disc with remixes and live performances (and demos hopefully).

Non-Album Tracks

2006 Window in The Skies, from U218 Singles album
2006 The Saints Are Coming, from U218 Singles album
2006 Tower of Song, from Window in The Skies single

2002 Electrical Storm, from Best of 1990-2000 album
2002 The Hands That Built America, from Best of 1990-2000 album

2000 Stateless, from The Million Dollar Hotel album

1998 Sweetest Thing, from Best of 1980-1990 album

1995 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, from Batman Forever album
1995 Miss Sarajevo, from Original Soundtracks No. 1 album
1995 Your Blue Room, from Original Soundtracks No. 1 album

1988 Jesus Christ, from Folkways album
1987 Christmas Baby (Please Come Home), A Very Special Christmas album

=====================================================

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Original/Cover B-Sides: 3 (1 original, 2 cover)

Are You Gonna Wait Forever?, from Vertigo single
Neon Lights, from Vertigo single
Ave Marie, from Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own single

Unreleased/Rare: 2

Smile, from iTunes Boxset
Fast Cars, from some album editions

Demos: 6

Mercy, from fan leak
Xanax & Wine, from iTunes Boxset
Native Son, from iTunes Boxset
All Because Of You, from iTunes Boxset
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own, from iTunes Boxset
Yahweh, from iTunes Boxset

Song Mixes: 3

City of Blinding Lights [Single]
Original of The Species [Single]
All Because of You [Single]

==========================================================

All That You Can't Leave Behind

Original/Cover B-Sides: 4 (3 original, 1 cover)

Summer Rain, from Beautiful Day single
Always, from Beautiful Day single
Big Girls Are Best, from Stuck in A Moment single
Don't Take Your Guns To Town, from Elevation single

Unreleased/Rare: 4

Levitate, from iTunes Boxset
Love You Like Mad, from iTunes Boxset
Flower Child, from iTunes Boxset
The Ground Beneath Her Feet, from some album editions

Song Mixes: 3

SIAMYCGOO [Acoustic] & [Single]
Elevation [Tomb Raider Mix]

==========================================================

POP

Original/Cover B-Sides: 8 (6 original, 2 covers)

Holy Joe, from Discotheque Single
North & South of The River, from Staring At The Sun Single
Your Blue Room, from Staring At The Sun Single
Pop Muzik, from Last Night On Earth Single
Happiness is a Warm Gun, from Last Night On Earth single
Slow Dancing, from IGWSHA Single
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad, from IGWSHA Single
I'm Not Your Baby, from Please Single

Song Mixes: 6

Please [Single]
Last Night On Earth [Single]
Gone [New Mix]
Discotheque [New Mix]
Staring At The Sun [New Mix]
IGWSHA [Single]

========================

Zooropa

Original/Cover B-Sides: 2 (1 original, 1 cover)

Slow Dancing, from Stay Single
I've Got You Under My Skin, from Stay Single

Song Mixes: 2

Numb [New Mix]
Lemon [Single]
Stay [Craig Armstrong Mix]

====================

Achtung Baby

Original/Cover B-Sides: 8 (4 original, 4 covers)

Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova 1, from The Fly single
Lady With the Spinning Head (UV1), from One single
Satellite of Love, from One single
Night and Day, from One single
Salome, from Even Better Than The Real Thing single
Where Did It All Go Wrong?, from Even Better Than The Real Thing single
Paint it Black, from Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horsessingle
Fortunate Son, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses single

Rattle And Hum

Original/Cover B-Sides: 5 (2 original, 3 cover)

Hallelujiah, from Desire single
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, from Angel of Harlem single
Dancing Barefoot, from When Love Comes To Town single
Unchained Melody, from All I Want is You single
Everlasting Love, from All I Want is You single

The Unforgettable Fire

Original/Cover B-Sides: 6

Boomerang I, from the Pride single
Boomerang II, from the Pride single
The Three Sunrises, from The Unforgettable Fire single
Love Comes Tumbling, from The Unforgettable Fire single
Bass Trap, from The Unforgettable Fire single
Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come, from The Unforgettable Fire single

Considering that POP has a massive stockpile of b-sides and ZOOROPA comparatively few, it would make better sense to put it on ZOOROPA's.
Not to mention the fact that HMTMKMKM was originally demoed for Zooropa.

Back
Top Bottom