The Remasters and their impact on future releases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally think that Pop should be left alone. Not remastered, not re-released. It isn't the same album if it's more complete. I agree, song-for-song, in general (not always), the album would be better with the single and Mike Hedges remixes.

However, it wouldn't be Pop.

Regarding AB and Zooropa, what would be most amazing is if they released a DVD with a show from one of the first three legs of Zoo TV from the former (Stockholm, Washington, and East Rutherford were filmed - was Houston? There are probably others, too, that we don't know about.), and then a Zooropa (I doubt they'd do Zoomerang, as it would have the exact same setlist as Sydney) show from the latter (Basel might be the only option, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin was secretly filmed).

More realistically, I can see the two being remastered and re-released together in a mega-ultra-uber-deluxe-edition.

Also, for TUF and R&H... we need DVDs! I'd consider TUF one of their 'masterpieces' (it's my second favourite U2 album, after AB), so, IMO, it deserves just as special treatment as JT and AB.

What would be wrong with simply remastering the existing version of the album? Obviously it wouldn't change very much.

Once you start getting into the digitally-recorded albums (Pop on), my understanding is (I could be wrong) that sound quality will not improve more than marginally on a remaster... remastering an album just serves to allow the artist to make more money, or create a 'deluxe edition'.

Also, for TUF and R&H... we need DVDs! I'd consider TUF one of their 'masterpieces' (it's my second favourite U2 album, after AB), so, IMO, it deserves just as special treatment as JT and AB.

I'd love a TUF show but it has to have Wire and Indian Summer Sky. Those were two live gems that I hope won't be lost in time.

Please not Dortmund. From the video's on Youtube, no thanks. :down:

I also think we honestly need "remixed" versions.

A remastered version simply takes an existing recording and cleans it up.

But when listening to the Boy/October/War remasters, I kept waiting for Larry's kick drum to just knock through my chest, and it never quite did.

I'd love to hear some remixes for these songs. Don't alter song structure or anything, just let a producer (preferrably a hip hop producer, to be honest with you) go in and rework those rhythm sections to make the album really pulse.

I also think we honestly need "remixed" versions.

A remastered version simply takes an existing recording and cleans it up.

But when listening to the Boy/October/War remasters, I kept waiting for Larry's kick drum to just knock through my chest, and it never quite did.

I'd love to hear some remixes for these songs. Don't alter song structure or anything, just let a producer (preferrably a hip hop producer, to be honest with you) go in and rework those rhythm sections to make the album really pulse.

I can't help thinking of what that would do to subtle songs like Promenade. :lol:

"Barbed wire fence cut me down" bum bum BUM! "I'd like to be around" bum bum BUM!

But imagine a Sunday Bloody Sunday where the kick drum sounded like the streets were vibrating to the beat of a march!

Imagine how pumped up you would get at the start of Out of Control if you could feel that beat beating in your chest!

Once you start getting into the digitally-recorded albums (Pop on), my understanding is (I could be wrong) that sound quality will not improve more than marginally on a remaster... remastering an album just serves to allow the artist to make more money, or create a 'deluxe edition'.
That's an excellent point and I think you're pretty much correct. I just misinterpreted what you originally said, as though you thought that remastering would make the album worse.

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me would go on Zooropa surely? It was recorded then for a start, and it SORT of finishes of the Zooropa era before they went on to Passengers so to put it on Original Soundtracks 1 wouldn't make much sense (even though it WAS for a soundtrack :wink:)

I really hope they re-release Original Soundtracks 1 with a bonus disc of stuff they didn't use. Apparantley there was quite a lot, I mean with Brian Eno I wouldn't be bloody surprised!

Achtung Baby is really starting to worry me as well, what are the chances of a 3-disc set with a dvd, or a third CD with just remixes?

Once you start getting into the digitally-recorded albums (Pop on), my understanding is (I could be wrong) that sound quality will not improve more than marginally on a remaster...

You'd be surprised how much a digital recorded album can improve with a remaster. Not sure if it'll be the case with Pop as I thought that one already sounded quite good. Need to listen again soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom