The Oohs when Bono Sings during the early 80s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquais94

Babyface
I was wondering how did he sing when it comes to words when he goes ex: from the song Gloria, He says "Gloria, "Exult(toh)te (Exultate)" I know that he was singing with his Irish dialect, But I don't know which jaw, tongue position, nasal, or mouth can it produce the bono style (ooh-like) notes. I know he sings from his diaphragm, but I can nail with a British Accent (but I have an American Accent by default, but capable of speaking with the British Accent). But I cannot produce the O-like when singing. I have the similar voice as him, when I sing, but my voice type is High Baritone (F2-F5) (I know he was a baritone but trained to become a tenor) but I'm not trying to be like him, if you are wondering, but I'm always be myself. I can nail "Stories for Boys" very well, as he wasn't using his oohs very much.

I don't know what style of singing that he was singing with the oohs, etc.
does anybody know, what technique does he use for his oohs-like vocal.

Last edited:
Not enough mention of the high Cs.

Anyway, personally, I couldn't carry a melody in a fucking wheelbarrow.

I could hit C5 in Falsetto, but It sounds like a woman when hitting C5, but Not from F2-F4, as it sounds similar to Bono during his early days in the late 1970s above the middle C. But not in the mixed voice register.

Last edited:
Actually, my vocal range is A2-B4 without falsetto, but C5-D5 in falsetto and E5-G#5 in Head voice (sounds like a lady i meant). not F2-F4.

I just sent Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a PM hoping he can weigh in here.

This really isn't fair, you're throwing this guy into an inside joke on his first day? Plus, he doesn't deserve to be thrown into the same conversation as Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this guy actually knows musical theory.

Aquais, Peterrrrrrrrrrr is a poster obsessed with Bono's voice and he's always asking about "what note is Bono hitting here?", "what's the highest high C Bono has ever hit in Bad?", etc. So no one is making fun of you; you seem to know what you're talking about.

But he does splice some interesting montages of Bono's singing sometimes and posts them on YouTube.

Oh yeah, and welcome :wave:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
This really isn't fair, you're throwing this guy into an inside joke on his first day? Plus, he doesn't deserve to be thrown into the same conversation as Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this guy actually knows musical theory.

Aquais, Peterrrrrrrrrrr is a poster obsessed with Bono's voice and he's always asking about "what note is Bono hitting here?", "what's the highest high C Bono has ever hit in Bad?", etc. So no one is making fun of you; you seem to know what you're talking about.

But he does splice some interesting montages of Bono's singing sometimes and posts them on YouTube.

thanks, I am appreciated with that.

I agreed with you, no one should put jokes like that to the person who just joined this forum. People should show respect to the other. That's what Bono wants us to be, since he helped and worked so hard in Africa to make things better and show generous support on these poor people.

Aquais, Peterrrrrrrrrrr is a poster obsessed with Bono's voice and he's always asking about "what note is Bono hitting here?", "what's the highest high C Bono has ever hit in Bad?"

You just made me realize why I dont use this forum that much anymore...
Yes I ask people about the notes, I dont have perfect pictch but Im learning about how to define notes.
I dont know where you have seen me post "highest C note",a C is a C. Either I have spell wrong... I have asked if there are any live version where he actually hits the C♯5 instead of the C5 he hits on Amnesty Tour, Vertigo Tour, 360 Tour... What I know there is only one time he have done that and it is in 1997 on Popmart where they snippet Bad in AIWIY. In fact the tour that have most C♯5 is Popmart. A bit strange due to Bono's voice problem on that tour.

Thanks, first time you have been nice to me. I appreciate that.

Last edited:
I think Bono did a lot of throat singing when he was younger. There's a recent article about Freddie Mercury's singing ability and techniques he utilized and it made me wonder if he and Bono shared similar techniques.

What I've always wanted to know is how Bono clipped his toenails in the late-80s.

If you study photos and film-clips intensely, you can clearly determine that Bono's toe-nails are longer and more ragged in the early days than from The Joshua Tree onward.

It's of course commonly speculated that this increased toe-nail clipping and general fastidiousness of pedicure contributed greatly to the sharper and more incisive lyrical approach typical of late-80s U2 compositions.

What remains to be determined is the exact instrument with which Bono treated his nails. Until this tool is specified, U2 fans will not rest.

What I've always wanted to know is how Bono clipped his toenails in the late-80s.

If you study photos and film-clips intensely, you can clearly determine that Bono's toe-nails are longer and more ragged in the early days than from The Joshua Tree onward.

It's of course commonly speculated that this increased toe-nail clipping and general fastidiousness of pedicure contributed greatly to the sharper and more incisive lyrical approach typical of late-80s U2 compositions.

What remains to be determined is the exact instrument with which Bono treated his nails. Until this tool is specified, U2 fans will not rest.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom