The October Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
This album is criminally underrated around here. It almost always ends up at the bottom of ranking threads, survivor games, and gets slagged in general conversation pretty often.

I listen to it all the time, and I think it's great. Personally, I think October is their best album before The Unforgettable Fire. War might have the more famous songs, and big political anthems on it, and I do think in general that War's lyrics are better and more interesting, but the music in October really is incredible - it laid the base for The Unforgettable Fire, and ultimately the band's studio experimentation. The lyrics aren't great, I admit - probably because Bono lost that suitcase. But October is not about the lyrics, it's about the music the other three are laying down, and despite that there are quite a few moments of lyrical brilliance. It deserves way more respect than it gets around here, and here's why:

Gloria: That riff. Adam's bass in the middle eight is some vicious playing. The best part of the song is the outro, obviously. The harmonies are great.

I Fall Down: The dynamics of the way Edge (I presume it's him) plays the piano, with the soft/loud dynamic in the intro is really evocative. Bono sings the song with the kind of dynamic that grips your ear and makes you really listen to the lyrics he's singing. The way Edge plays the harmonics in the bridge are also really unique. I can't recall ever hearing another song before or since that has that same sound in it.

I Threw a Brick Through a Window: The drum intro. Larry fucking kills it. The guitar riff is also very atonal, and shouldn't work, but it does because the bass holds the chord together. It's brilliant.

Rejoice: This kind of riff is now paint-by-numbers U2, but at the time it was unique and innovative. And again, the bridge - Larry is the man.

Fire: The interplay between the bass and drums during the verse drives the song with such momentum. This is another one where Adam and Larry are owning it, and then in the bridge Edge comes in with that chord (the second one especially) that has about 7 or 8 different levels. That chord is un-fucking-real. It swirls around you and you never want it to end. As a guitar player it almost makes me soil my pants (in whatever way you're probably thinking of right now) every time I hear it. I get chills the same way I get chills when I hear the opening chord from A Hard Day's Night. It's my single favourite moment on the album, and this chord led to so much of my favourite moments on UF and AB and going forward.

Tomorrow: I love the way that the song starts with studio chatter that just seems to fall away when the pipes start up, as if the song takes you away into an ethereal other world. This is far and away the lyrical highlight of the album. I used to hate the way Bono sang it, back when I was an idiot and a douchebag. Having now successfully matured into an adult (albeit at a somewhat stunted rate), I realize the emotion and heartbreak are driving the singing. It's an incredibly personal song, and you can feel Bono ripping away at your heart. One of his finest vocal performances, ever.

October: A simple song, but beautiful. I can feel the emotion in how hard the piano chords are stuck, and that alone makes the song interesting to listen to.

With a Shout (Jerusalem): Larry crushes it again with the drum intro. That muted trumpet in the middle eight is also really cool.

Stranger in a Strange Land: Adam's best moment on October. That bass riff is phenomenal, and he carries the entire song. Edge provides just the right amount of atmospheric chords and harmonics. It sounds so effortless.

Scarlet: Another simple but beautiful song. An etheral sonic landscape that led to some amazing songs like 4th of July and Bass Trap.

Is That All?: That intro, again. It's no wonder that they took it to use in Electric Co. It deserves to be used on about six more songs, too. A fantastic closer, and the absolute chaos it breaks down into at the end is great too (the whistling at the very end is slightly Sgt. Pepper's-esque, which I can't knock at all).

I think a lot of the negative opinion may come from people just not having listened to it start-to-finish in a long time. I highly encourage you all to do so, and realize how awesome October is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCIOvmTBww

Some good and bad.

-Gloria is in my top ten U2 songs.
- Brick is awesome live

With a Shout is weak
Stanger in a Stranger Land is one of the worst U2 songs. The opening riff is awesome then the rest of song is a let-down.

My vinyl remaster arrived yesterday with War. Had both cycling through ever since

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Is That All? is a vastly underrated song.

Gloria and October are classics for me.

Brick, Rejoice, Fire and With a Shout are entertaining album cuts of the era.

The rest vary from 'meh' (Scarlet) to horrible (Stranger in a Strange Land).

I value it as part of their canon, I would even say it gets a hard time, but everything from The Unforgettable Fire and onwards is stronger (I never liked War).

I consider it to be up there with their best and nearly flawless. I Fall Down, Gloria, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Rejoice, Tomorrow, Fire, October...there's a ton of great songs on this one.

It's also a killer record to listen to before you see U2 live as they're not likely to play anything from it at the show you're about to see. This one's always got a ton of replay value because it's so under-exposed in their catalog.

I agree with almost every word of the original post (though I wish I Fall Down had been cut from the album). Top five U2 album.

Album definitely doesn't get the respect it deserves from a lot of folks.

Would love to see a few songs from it return to the set if they did a true 2 night innocence vs experience thing. (Which we know is highly unlikely).
Rejoice would be great after something like Electric Co to really get the crowd amped.
and then the band would probably do acoustic Song For Someone

This album is criminally underrated around here. It almost always ends up at the bottom of ranking threads, survivor games, and gets slagged in general conversation pretty often.

I listen to it all the time, and I think it's great. Personally, I think October is their best album before The Unforgettable Fire. War might have the more famous songs, and big political anthems on it, and I do think in general that War's lyrics are better and more interesting, but the music in October really is incredible - it laid the base for The Unforgettable Fire, and ultimately the band's studio experimentation. The lyrics aren't great, I admit - probably because Bono lost that suitcase. But October is not about the lyrics, it's about the music the other three are laying down, and despite that there are quite a few moments of lyrical brilliance. It deserves way more respect than it gets around here, and here's why:

Gloria: That riff. Adam's bass in the middle eight is some vicious playing. The best part of the song is the outro, obviously. The harmonies are great.

I Fall Down: The dynamics of the way Edge (I presume it's him) plays the piano, with the soft/loud dynamic in the intro is really evocative. Bono sings the song with the kind of dynamic that grips your ear and makes you really listen to the lyrics he's singing. The way Edge plays the harmonics in the bridge are also really unique. I can't recall ever hearing another song before or since that has that same sound in it.

I Threw a Brick Through a Window: The drum intro. Larry fucking kills it. The guitar riff is also very atonal, and shouldn't work, but it does because the bass holds the chord together. It's brilliant.

Rejoice: This kind of riff is now paint-by-numbers U2, but at the time it was unique and innovative. And again, the bridge - Larry is the man.

Fire: The interplay between the bass and drums during the verse drives the song with such momentum. This is another one where Adam and Larry are owning it, and then in the bridge Edge comes in with that chord (the second one especially) that has about 7 or 8 different levels. That chord is un-fucking-real. It swirls around you and you never want it to end. As a guitar player it almost makes me soil my pants (in whatever way you're probably thinking of right now) every time I hear it. I get chills the same way I get chills when I hear the opening chord from A Hard Day's Night. It's my single favourite moment on the album, and this chord led to so much of my favourite moments on UF and AB and going forward.

Tomorrow: I love the way that the song starts with studio chatter that just seems to fall away when the pipes start up, as if the song takes you away into an ethereal other world. This is far and away the lyrical highlight of the album. I used to hate the way Bono sang it, back when I was an idiot and a douchebag. Having now successfully matured into an adult (albeit at a somewhat stunted rate), I realize the emotion and heartbreak are driving the singing. It's an incredibly personal song, and you can feel Bono ripping away at your heart. One of his finest vocal performances, ever.

October: A simple song, but beautiful. I can feel the emotion in how hard the piano chords are stuck, and that alone makes the song interesting to listen to.

With a Shout (Jerusalem): Larry crushes it again with the drum intro. That muted trumpet in the middle eight is also really cool.

Stranger in a Strange Land: Adam's best moment on October. That bass riff is phenomenal, and he carries the entire song. Edge provides just the right amount of atmospheric chords and harmonics. It sounds so effortless.

Scarlet: Another simple but beautiful song. An etheral sonic landscape that led to some amazing songs like 4th of July and Bass Trap.

Is That All?: That intro, again. It's no wonder that they took it to use in Electric Co. It deserves to be used on about six more songs, too. A fantastic closer, and the absolute chaos it breaks down into at the end is great too (the whistling at the very end is slightly Sgt. Pepper's-esque, which I can't knock at all).

I think a lot of the negative opinion may come from people just not having listened to it start-to-finish in a long time. I highly encourage you all to do so, and realize how awesome October is.

:up:

You already know how much I love this album!

Sent from my ass crack

:up: :up: :up:
October is such a great album. Full of so much energy and creativity.
Tomorrow and Gloria are both some of the best songs they've ever made. It's a shame that this album never gets any love.
Is that all? is a weird closer and I think would've worked better as the penultimate track, but I don't think it really hurts the album too much overall. Scarlet would've been a better closer, though.

It's definitely a good album, and I think one of their most interesting, just due to the circumstances surrounding it (having the lyrics flogged, Bono/Edge/Larry vs Adam/Paul, short studio time, etc) that elevates it somewhat.

I think the thing that frustrates me most about October is actually the way the majority of people here talk about Stranger in a Strange Land and Is That All. Nearly everyone dismisses those tracks all the time and I for the life of me have never been able to understand why. The former has a great riff, some really nice oh oh ohs from Bono, Larry and Adam work well during the verses and the outro is really fucking lovely. The latter I think we should all feel very privileged that it exists; it is literally a document of the band's frustration recording the album. It is rough, unfinished, atonal, you just don't get that on an album.

I think the thing that frustrates me most about October is actually the way the majority of people here talk about Stranger in a Strange Land and Is That All. Nearly everyone dismisses those tracks all the time and I for the life of me have never been able to understand why. The former has a great riff, some really nice oh oh ohs from Bono, Larry and Adam work well during the verses and the outro is really fucking lovely. The latter I think we should all feel very privileged that it exists; it is literally a document of the band's frustration recording the album. It is rough, unfinished, atonal, you just don't get that on an album.

I think Is That All? is a terrific track, great energy throughout and I think it is the perfect closer.

Stranger in a Strange Land however is stilted and not enjoyable for me. A dirge, no matter how good that Edge riff is.

:up: :up: :up:
October is such a great album. Full of so much energy and creativity.
Tomorrow and Gloria are both some of the best songs they've ever made. It's a shame that this album never gets any love.
Is that all? is a weird closer and I think would've worked better as the penultimate track, but I don't think it really hurts the album too much overall. Scarlet would've been a better closer, though.

I totally agree with you and DaveC on this. October has so many high points for me; Tomorrow, Gloria, October, Scarlet, I Threw A Brick and Rejoice, more than on War in my opinion and I don't think it has any real duffers either.

Is That All is a more than decent album closer, the final seconds in particular with that weird whistle right at the end is very haunting.

It becomes more an more favorite of mine. I like it much more than Boy or War. It has a bad reputation, I still cannot figure out why. Maybe because the lost lyrics? Because the christianity references? Anyway, a great album. Maybe SOI will have a similar fate...

Is That All is a more than decent album closer, the final seconds in particular with that weird whistle right at the end is very haunting.

Like I said in my first post I love the way that it breaks down in the last 10 seconds, sounds like they just put their instruments down and walked off. It's awesome for an album closer. I used to wonder why the closer wasn't Scarlet until I paid attention to those last few seconds of the song.

In many ways I don't understand how someone can be a U2 fan and not love this album.
It's U2 being U2 in that brazen, clumsy, mystic way that no other band can ever pull off. It's great even where, by all accounts, it should be really bad.

And if they don't play anything from October this coming tour they can just delete the word "Innocence" from the tour's name.

In many ways I don't understand how someone can be a U2 fan and not love this album.
It's U2 being U2 in that brazen, clumsy, mystic way that no other band can ever pull off. It's great even where, by all accounts, it should be really bad.

And if they don't play anything from October this coming tour they can just the word "Innocence" from the tour's name.

I cannot agree more :heart:

And if they don't play anything from October this coming tour they can just delete the word "Innocence" from the tour's name.

I think the middle tracks on SoI, Iris through to Cedarwood Road, draw greatly from the sound of October and War so this tour more than any other in decades should be a perfect setting for those songs to return. Surrender, Seconds, Drowning Man, October, I Threw a Brick, Tomorrow and maybe Rejoice should all have a real chance of being played.

I think the middle tracks on SoI, Iris through to Cedarwood Road, draw greatly from the sound of October and War so this tour more than any other in decades should be a perfect setting for those songs to return. Surrender, Seconds, Drowning Man, October, I Threw a Brick, Tomorrow and maybe Rejoice should all have a real chance of being played.

I´m up for that, even more if it means replacing tired songs like BD, MW, Stuck, Sunday, Bullet

For just a few random nights, U2 needs to play October straight through to open the show. I realize that this will never happen, but it'd be the greatest thing this band ever did.

Gloria would make for a great opener, then change the tempo with something like Brick or I Fall Down. It could work.

I'm actually most down with them opening shows with songs that aren't "big"...such as when Love and Peace or Else was an opener on Vertigo shows (which was a double plus since it shortened the monotony of the war-themed mini-set) or Breathe on the last tour. The crowd is pumped for those first few songs as the band's hitting the stage, so why not give momentum to tracks the audience might not be as excited for if they showed up in the middle of the set?

Some good and bad.

-Gloria is in my top ten U2 songs.
- Brick is awesome live

With a Shout is weak
Stranger in a Strange Land is one of the worst U2 songs. The opening riff is awesome then the rest of song is a let-down.

"Stranger in a Strange Land is one of the worst U2 songs"?!?!?!?

Are you out of your fucking mind?

It's a gorgeous track and nowhere near their "worst". Geezus man! You obviously haven't listened to some of the shite they've put out the last two decades!!!

"Stranger in a Strange Land is one of the worst U2 songs"?!?!?!?

Are you out of your fucking mind?

It's a gorgeous track and nowhere near their "worst". Geezus man! You obviously haven't listened to some of the shite they've put out the last two decades!!!

Hahaha!

So true :applaud:

Gloria sounded awesome the other night. Made me wish that they end up playing it at my show at MSG!

Rejoice needs to be played! It's pure raw, energy. Yeah, most people in the crowd won't have a clue what they're listening to, but who cares. This song would set the place on fire.

They'll probably think "Hey there's that song that _____ used in their commercial way back!"

lol

(and I don't mean that as a diss, it's truly one of their best/most accessible riffs of their career imo)

Back
Top Bottom