The NME again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so pissed about this. So pissed that I'm taking a personal day today.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So these are the artists that influenced Rihanna, One Direction and Katie Perry.
Thanks a bunch.

Mmm, well, 'influential' is not the same thing as 'worthwhile' and frankly, no, I don't know that U2 are that influential. And most of the artists who consciously namecheck them, I would run a mile from.

King Bono has decreed that the NME and all their readers be hung, drawn and quartered for such an unforgivable omission!

Unless musicologists look at song after song and the musical influences that can be found in the patterns of notes how can they really make a list like this? These lists are to change constantly and is just advertising for the consumer base to find more music to listen to.

This is no different for the album and song lists or for that matter, movie lists. This is hardly worth getting angry about.

U2 probably haven't been particularly 'influential', but it is difficult to take seriously a list that puts Radiohead at number 1 and Kanye West at number 3.

King Bono has decreed that the NME and all their readers be hung, drawn and quartered for such an unforgivable omission!

All two dozen of them? :wink: NME is the last of the weekly music mags. There were once three or four of them. I do not think it is much longer for this earth however.

NME lists cannot be taken seriously. They are so much up their own ass it's almost funny. Even NME readers are constantly commenting on how ridiculous and annoying these lists are. If I want to read something U2-related, I turn to other music magazines. NME is just a massive manifestation of the general UK aversion against U2.

How does one measure "influential"?

The irony really comes in when you look back at the 90s and you have interviews where Radiohead speak of u2's influence on them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How does one measure "influential"?

The irony really comes in when you look back at the 90s and you have interviews where Radiohead speak of u2's influence on them.

How about a link for this?

How about a link for this?

I had a radiohead book once,one of these unofficial bio books and it did bring u2 up a fair bit

Didnt thom yorke and bono work together on jubilee 2000? (Completey off topic i know)

You can't influence anyone if you're too chickenshit to release music.

Radiohead #1? Ha, I wish.

And I can honestly say that I have no idea who Country Teasers are. I'm fairly certain that U2 have had a bigger impact, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Radiohead #1? Ha, I wish.
I think that's pretty fair actually. At least if you're talking about modern bands. They're the most well respected band out there and countless artists mention them as an influence in interviews and such.

U2 should of course be on there but who cares. I even stumbled upon this article of a few years back. There's probably outrage about this in an older thread.
It's Depressing, But True - U2 Are The Most Influential Band Of The Last 25 Years | NME.COM

Hahaha this list is fucking rich. The Modern Lovers more influential than the Velvet Underground, a band they doesn't their entire career worshipping? Most of Jonathan Richman's songs are just some variation on Sister Ray.

And Tame Impala over Led Zeppelin is hilarious for similar reasons.

I think that's pretty fair actually. At least if you're talking about modern bands. They're the most well respected band out there and countless artists mention them as an influence in interviews and such.

People namecheck them to sound knowledgeable, but I don't hear much Radiohead out there in the mainstream, or even pseudo-alternative, which is about as far as NME's reach typically extends. Certainly, plenty of IDM artists owe their careers to Kid A, but I would say more NME guitar rock is influenced by Gang of Four than Radiohead.

It's the same thing with U2. Bands namecheck them all the time, but how many of them really sound like U2?

Last edited:
Big influences should be people who influenced Elvis and the Beatles. Basically whoever invented rock band setups in the first place. Then as you go down the list chronologically any major changes in that setup that influenced newer bands.

Radiohead is too young for #1. I can hear Pink Floyd and The Beatles with their music. Krautrock as well:

Flea - Positively Charged: Thom Yorke's 20 Biggest Influences | SPIN

Radiohead's Music Influences, From Fleetwood Mac to Thomas Pynchon | Rolling Stone

There are some great bands on their list but Simple Minds? I can't imagine how anyone could think they were more influential than U2. Who did Simple Minds influence exactly?

Radiohead's definitely the most influential act since Nirvana. And if we're just focusing on modern acts, Kanye wouldn't be too far behind and could arguably already have the strongest discography in rap history.

Radiohead more influential than U2? Maybe. More important in the history of rock? Not at the moment, but possibly down the road. Think how The Velvet Underground can now rank in the Top 5 of many Greatest Artists In Rock History list nowadays without batting an eye...would not surprise me at all if Radiohead's importance continued to grow in the future.

The NME's lists should generally be avoided, even their own readers take issue with them. However the NME have always had a bit of an anti U2 thing going on. I don't like the general 'too cool for school' attitude of the publication.

Back
Top Bottom