The NME again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stopped take NME as a good an serious magazine since they wrote an awful article when the bass-player of The Shamen drowned while smashed his head on rock when he was out for a swim. They named the article "On The Rock, The Last Days Of The Shamen"...

^ that is awful! That's a horrible way for anyone to die, and to make light of it shows just how little class the magazine has.

I know I'm an American but I still used to read NME religiously when I was younger. Then I realized that the magazine was 75% about the Gallagher bros., and that I never agreed with their reviews. The way they treat U2 is typical of the British Press, unfortunately. U2 have an uphill battle there, it seems.

Ah, the "influence" debate again.

I haven't even looked at this article, I don't want to and don't need to, I really don't care who NME thinks is influential. They lost what little credibility with me with that review that might as well have been scribbled on the wall by a tantrum throwing ten year old with Tourettes.

In general, however, I think it's accurate to say that U2, while certainly one of the greatest and most successful rock bands of all time, is not among the most influential.

U2 is not influential at all?

Coldplay

Most guitarist tend to have more of a The Edge, Andy Summers like sound than say anything from the 80s early 90s solomachoism

But then this is my opinion and NME's editorial have theirs. It's all OK

Coldplay, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Muse

Tell me they aren't influenced by U2! They even admit to it. And they're all pretty successful in their own right! I'd say Edge and Andy Summers were the 2 most influential guitarists of the 80s. There was of course Slash, Kirk Hammett, etc, but they're a completely different style that nobody plays anymore. You still hear a lot of Edge's influence in today's music.

Noel Gallagher was massively influenced by U2 aswell

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yes it's clearly rubbish to say they have not influenced so many bands. Coldplay and The Killers have vouched for that enough themselves.

If you grew up in the 80s with the inky version of the NME then you can really appreciate how utterly shite and neutered the current click bait celeb headline dot-com version has become. How shite? well, they had to get their cute little nice editor in one day to tell people in the comments section to stop swearing. How the mighty fail.

If you grew up in the 80s with the inky version of the NME then you can really appreciate how utterly shite and neutered the current click bait celeb headline dot-com version has become. How shite? well, they had to get their cute little nice editor in one day to tell people in the comments section to stop swearing. How the mighty fail.

I started buying the nme around the year 2000, I loved it. My dad brought it when he was a kid and then I brought it. The pattern will stop with my kids. It's a complete and utter rag now. I brought it for about 4 years and stopped. I hated the way they turned on U2 around the vertigo tour stage before that the nme were all over U2, they even won godlike genius award in 2001. Didn't a new editor come in? And that's when all the hate started I think

The scary thing is U2 actually won the NME godlike genius award in.....,.,,2001 ATYCLB area

How does one measure "influential"?

The irony really comes in when you look back at the 90s and you have interviews where Radiohead speak of u2's influence on them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Link me to those glorious interviews plz :drool::drool::drool:

Radiohead are still big U2 fans. I remember Ed O'Brien talking about how good AYCLB is. In 1995, U2 are REM were the only bands that Radiohead would consider opening for. They ended up opening for REM. Imagine if they'd opened for U2 in 1998....:drool:

Don't believe what you hear
Don't believe what you see
If you just close your eyes
You can feel the NME.

Smash hits :) i use to buy that before i saw the light of real music ?

There are some great bands on their list but Simple Minds? I can't imagine how anyone could think they were more influential than U2. Who did Simple Minds influence exactly?

u2

Common knowlegde that u2 were blown away with New Gold Dream ....

....Unforgettable Fire followed. Bono, or was it Daniel Lanois has even quoted this somewhere.

And you just have to check out Simple Minds early pioneering albums championed by Manic Street Preachers, Primal Scream, Moby, The Killers, The Horrors etc etc.

You could check Itunes for a Free blast of the Minds new album, you will not fail to be impressed. Check out Concrete & Cherry Blossom to hear U2 by numbers :hmm:

Yes, Kanye West has influenced many punchlines.

Music? Not really.

Are The Beatles on it? I mean how would Radiohead be above The Beatles or Nirvana?

Back
Top Bottom