The Meaning of Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for pointing this out. I thought this was a remarkable interview.

As a music fan, I would prefer Bono to be a rock musician primarily. I now concede, however, that he is -- and probably has been for many years -- a part-time musician, who is fundamentally a social figure and a spiritual leader.

Thanks for pointing this out. I thought this was a remarkable interview.

As a music fan, I would prefer Bono to be a rock musician primarily. I now concede, however, that he is -- and probably has been for many years -- a part-time musician, who is fundamentally a social figure and a spiritual leader.

Well put (though I'm not quite sure I agree that Bono is a "spiritual leader").

He's no longer primarily a "rock star"...though ironically it's his rock star status that allows him to do everything else he does.

That was a very interesting program. Ive thought a lot recently a bout faith and the meaning of things much greater than myself. I don't know if its just the cycle spinning around for me or im getting older or what it is, ive been here before so who knows. Enjoyed watching it though.

The Gay Byrne interview was very good. I don't think Bono answered the tax question straight on because how can you? It is hypocrisy. But much of the rest of the interview was candid and thoughtful. His description of the last moments of his father's life was heartbreaking. I'm happy he's making the One campaign focus on corruption. It looks like he's understanding why some countries aren't doing as well as others when you look at the institutions. What's poverty in one country is wealth in another.

What you want is a character. I think it would be pretty sad if people were primarily a CEO and not philanthropist, primarily a teacher and not a mother, primarily a politician and not artist. We should all be _____ AND _____. We become like the paparazzi(or worse) when we start needing our stars not to be human.

The Gay Byrne interview was very good. I don't think Bono answered the tax question straight on because how can you? It is hypocrisy.

But how much more straight could he answer the question? He basically confirmed U2 is a business and that the tex move was a business decision. I feel pretty ok about him saying that people need to get over the "warm fuzzy" image about him as a philanthropist and that he's trying to be tough and rigorous about business decisions. What else should he have said except: Yep, I'm a hypocritical asshole (I'm sure he would have said that in another context, not this particular interview).

i think the worst thing re. the tax issue was him then taking the credit for bringing Google and Facebook to Ireland - does he have no clue how that sounds? :lol:

i think the worst thing re. the tax issue was him then taking the credit for bringing Google and Facebook to Ireland :lol:

He took some of the credit and he is right in saying this, the Irish government know only too well about his efforts to bring these businesses to Ireland!

it came across like, "i brought these businesses to Ireland so cut me some slack and let me do what the hell i want with my tax affairs" :lol:

it came across like, "i brought these businesses to Ireland so cut me some slack and let me do what the hell i want with my tax affairs" :lol:

Well his tax affairs is his business! His point is that the Irish have no problem taking jobs off the likes of google who are only in Ireland on a tax dodge anyway

People need to finally realize that U2 pay a shitload of taxes in Ireland (and everywhere else in the world). The whole argument is one-sided. I will never, in my whole life earn as much money as U2 are paying in Irish taxes every year. They could just move away into an income tax haven like many other celebrities did.

And yes, Bono was indeed involved in bringing Google and Facebook to Ireland, but yes, the way he said that sounded a bit ... defiant. I see how Irish people and media will be all over these statements.

Well his tax affairs is his business! His point is that the Irish have no problem taking jobs off the likes of google who are only in Ireland on a tax dodge anyway

sure it's his business, however, he had an opportunity to diffuse the situation, but i think he pretty much just added fuel to the fire putting it that way...

Yeah? What could/should he have said differently? He was being honest, IMO.

No matter what he says and how he says it, he'll always be criticized and hated.

I thought he dealt with the issue quite well. Of course he'll defend U2's decision. He won't say: It was a mistake, sorry.

U2 have invested great amounts of money in Ireland, they have funded a music education program with millions and they still pay a lot of taxes in their home country. People tend to ignore that. But no matter what Bono says, critics will always see what they want to see.

I thought that the tax question was generally out of place in the interview. I can see why people are interested in this issue, but discussing "The meaning of life" shouldn't be about discussing your finances and tax affairs. It was, to be honest, the segment of the interview I was least interested in.

What you want is a character. I think it would be pretty sad if people were primarily a CEO and not philanthropist, primarily a teacher and not a mother, primarily a politician and not artist. We should all be _____ AND _____. We become like the paparazzi(or worse) when we start needing our stars not to be human.
You may have misunderstood the word "primarily" in my post. Now, calm down.

Yeah? What could/should he have said differently? He was being honest, IMO.

No matter what he says and how he says it, he'll always be criticized and hated.

I thought he dealt with the issue quite well. Of course he'll defend U2's decision. He won't say: It was a mistake, sorry.

U2 have invested great amounts of money in Ireland, they have funded a music education program with millions and they still pay a lot of taxes in their home country. People tend to ignore that. But no matter what Bono says, critics will always see what they want to see.

I thought that the tax question was generally out of place in the interview. I can see why people are interested in this issue, but discussing "The meaning of life" shouldn't be about discussing your finances and tax affairs. It was, to be honest, the segment of the interview I was least interested in.

it felt a little bit like "let them eat cake!" (or brioche, technically) :D

If U2 were stupid and indifferent in regards to their business and money and would leave all the decisions to advisors (like many other celebrities seem to do), they would be bashed as well. I'd rather have them more shrewd about their business, that doesn't mean they cannot do humanitarian work. If Bono wasn't rich, I don't think it would be easier for him to do the political work he does.

Haters will always hate, but I think it's important for him that the people he works with, those who really matter and who know him personally can trust his knowledge and competence, regard him as credible and authentic and take him seriously enough.

Enjoyed what I saw of the interview - tried watching while there were distractions nearby so, of course, I missed several bits & finally gave up when they cut for a break. I'll sit down when I can give it my full attention & watch the whole thing.

As for the tax question: they made a business savvy & fully legal decision. It's not an option we have as individual tax payers & that natural resentment, I believe, is the source of a majority of the backlash. :shrug: My ever so humble opinion. ;)

The essence of Bono's answer to the tax question seems to boil down to: "'U2' functions as a large corporation, and therefore it's entitled to act in its own economic interests, regardless of whatever I say or we sing about, etc.".

It's basically the same thing The Pope would say if anybody asked him why The Vatican hordes massive stores of gold and money, hidden from the poor and devout behind locked doors. I guess the problem I have with Bono's answer is that any leader of a nation-state could basically say this as well: "The German state functions as a corporation and must remain solvent in the protection of the German people; therefore, we cannot afford to contribute to world aid." In other words, his own defense kind of undermines his own goals for activism.

Anyway, what's really interesting to me is how U2 is called to task for these things, while no other stadium filling act in rock history has been. The clear message from the mass public is: "If you are going to be a do-gooder, prepare to be bitch-slapped for every tiny fault we can find with your way of life." Which is a bit sad, but I guess it's just human nature.

I also think the topic wasn't necessary in the context of this interview, but in a way I admire Gay Byrne for asking it -- simply because it means the interview wasn't a total butt-kissing enterprise.

The essence of Bono's answer to the tax question seems to boil down to: "'U2' functions as a large corporation, and therefore it's entitled to act in its own economic interests, regardless of whatever I say or we sing about, etc.".

It's basically the same thing The Pope would say if anybody asked him why The Vatican hordes massive stores of gold and money, hidden from the poor and devout behind locked doors. I guess the problem I have with Bono's answer is that any leader of a nation-state could basically say this as well: "The German state functions as a corporation and must remain solvent in the protection of the German people; therefore, we cannot afford to contribute to world aid." In other words, his own defense kind of undermines his own goals for activism.

Anyway, what's really interesting to me is how U2 is called to task for these things, while no other stadium filling act in rock history has been. The clear message from the mass public is: "If you are going to be a do-gooder, prepare to be bitch-slapped for every tiny fault we can find with your way of life." Which is a bit sad, but I guess it's just human nature.

I also think the topic wasn't necessary in the context of this interview, but in a way I admire Gay Byrne for asking it -- simply because it means the interview wasn't a total butt-kissing enterprise.

Good post :up:

:up:

He should say what I've always thought he should say - 'personally I thought it was a mistake, I was against it from the point of view of my humanitarian work, but U2 is a 4-way democracy (5 if you include Paul who I'm sure gets a large say in their tax affairs), and in this instance I was out-voted. Tough shit.'

He should say what I've always thought he should say - 'personally I thought it was a mistake, I was against it from the point of view of my humanitarian work, but U2 is a 4-way democracy (5 if you include Paul who I'm sure gets a large say in their tax affairs), and in this instance I was out-voted. Tough shit.'

exactly! that would've been perfect! AND got him off the hook! (but then his bandmates would've kicked his head in) :lol:

No, nothing will ever get Bono "off the hook".

And why say something that he doesn't mean? I'd rather he'd say the truth about these issues. I don't think he should hypocritically apologize for something that he feels was a right decision, just because some fans can relax and sleep better afterwards.

^ Maybe for PR reasons??? Instead of trotting out this frankly quite embarrassing nonsense about it following 'the spirit of the law'. Frankly, its cringingly embarrassing, as someone who has grown up loving Bono and the band, to see your hero come out with something like that.

No, nothing will ever get Bono "off the hook".

how do YOU know? are you his fecking guru or something??

And why say something that he doesn't mean? I'd rather he'd say the truth about these issues. I don't think he should hypocritically apologize for something that he feels was a right decision, just because some fans can relax and sleep better afterwards.

a bit of PR and diplomacy never hurt anybody - you should try it sometime ;)

btw - i sleep really well actually lol

Back
Top Bottom