The Masters of Less Bombastic Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
On my drive home last night, pretty late, I really was blown away by some of the mellower tunes U2 has done, especially from the mid-90s. So many people know them as the bombastic song writers, but in this case, I really came to appreciate songs that are a bit more understated.

e.g. Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo, North and South of the River

Here's hoping that they can dazzle a bit with those chops, rather than having to make every song that ultimate climax. Or, even if they do, the buildup can be just like a float down a river or a stroll in the park. Remember when they could do that so well?

I really love U2 songs that are not "bombastic" and I also like their accoustic versions. I have the impression many fans here think those songs are boring, but I don't. I would love to have more of this kind in the future, also on the new album and in form of live performances. I wouldn't mind hearing more stuff like Million Dollar Hotel.

if you wear that velvet dress..slug...stateless...two shots of happy, one shot of sad...

im in to these types of songs too :wave:

I LIKE bombastic. Lots of guitar, synthesizer, echos, rythm and the voice of Bono!

The Hands that built America and The Ground beneath her feet are among the best songs ever performed by U2. So is the Unforgettable fire.

On my drive home last night, pretty late, I really was blown away by some of the mellower tunes U2 has done, especially from the mid-90s. So many people know them as the bombastic song writers, but in this case, I really came to appreciate songs that are a bit more understated.

e.g. Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo, North and South of the River

Here's hoping that they can dazzle a bit with those chops, rather than having to make every song that ultimate climax. Or, even if they do, the buildup can be just like a float down a river or a stroll in the park. Remember when they could do that so well?

Your blue room (I adore that song) and miss sarajevo are two of the best songs they have done in the last 15 years. I absolutely LOVE the live version of NaSotR, the studioversion not s much

I quite like U2's gift for bombast. The bombast (and its child, Bono's preachiness) summarize what the world's millions of U2-haters hate about the band. But unlike many groups (whose bombast I loathe), U2 have a gift for sincere, heartfelt, and intelligent bombast, which I rather enjoy, in moderation. They are capable of doing very low-key but evocative music, for sure -- 'Walk To The Water' is a personal favourite.

Here's a question: are any of their of "greatest hits" subtle?

Grace
Stay
First Time
If you wear that velvet dress
Running to stand still{ Is it bombastic?}
Deep in the Heart
Grace
Your Blue Room
Promenade

I will add other names later.....

I love Stateless, Heartland, and The Unforgettable Fire. Mellow, but highly melodic and evocative songs.

Love those songs, plus Promenade, Slug, Your blue room, loads more too. I'd love to hear more of these on future albums. I hate NASOTR though, probably because Christy Moore is involved.

Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Love Comes Tumbling
The Playboy Mansion (I actually love that song)
Beach Sequence (one of my very favorite U2 tracks)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom