The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 - Show & Setlist Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won’t be able to do live updates given that these shows are in the other side of the world, hence why we could put everything (updates, videos, etc.) in this thread. Something so that people can keep track of this tour. :shifty:

after all that fuss about lovetown, the only song played from that era ends up being angel of harlem, and the setlist is pretty good?

Well of course there should have been more of a Lovetown element for the Australia / NZ shows. But that isn't compatible with them wanting to copy and paste the 2017 show.

How is that even possible? The tree image and gold color are painted onto the screen. The screen is not rendering them.

Or at least that is how it was in 2017.

How is that even possible? The tree image and gold color are painted onto the screen. The screen is not rendering them.

Or at least that is how it was in 2017.

If the screen is rendering deep black you wouldn’t see the tree either way

after all that fuss about lovetown, the only song played from that era ends up being angel of harlem, and the setlist is pretty good?

If they aren’t going to dig deep for Lovetown content, I’d rather them only play one song rather than trot out desire, angel, aiwiy and waste set slots. I still want to hear some newer stuff live rather than the things I’ve heard multiple times on their rare trips here

If they aren’t going to dig deep for Lovetown content, I’d rather them only play one song rather than trot out desire, angel, aiwiy and waste set slots. I still want to hear some newer stuff live rather than the things I’ve heard multiple times on their rare trips here

:up:

I won’t be able to do live updates given that these shows are in the other side of the world

Sounds like someone needs to man up and take one for the team :wave:

Woke up at 145 and started listening from Exit.

So glad to live in 2019. The feed was great.
Was kinda bummed not to be there.

Thought the transition to AOH fell flat.
Would not be surprised if they dropped it, but they may be hell bent on playing something from R&H/Lovetown in that slot.

Not sure why I was surprised to hear Elevation with the intro, but I was. I don’t think it was mentioned in the rehearsal posts. For me, that’s the best version.

Looking forward to watching Elevation, Vertigo, EBTTRT on YouTube.

Is it actually painted? Not saying you're wrong just trying to figure out how video plays, ya know, through paint.

I read an article about the 2017 tour screen that said because the "shaders" shielding each LED component are by default black, they had to remove each individual one and paint it gold (or for the tree, silver), requiring them to remove and then re-insert nearly 1.5 million screws. And after the tour was over, I'm pretty sure the paint job had to be undone.

Thought the transition to AOH fell flat.
Would not be surprised if they dropped it, but they may be hell bent on playing something from R&H/Lovetown in that slot.

Why can't AOH be part of the encore instead of being tacked on at the end of Mothers? Seems to me that's why it falls flat. There doesn't need to be such a clear division between 80s and 90s/beyond material.

Why can't AOH be part of the encore instead of being tacked on at the end of Mothers? Seems to me that's why it falls flat. There doesn't need to be such a clear division between 80s and 90s/beyond material.
Why can't they just create a transition that makes sense and flows and do All I Want Is You between Bad and Streets?

And this way if they absolutely must split the 80s with non 80s at the encore, they can slot Pride into the final slot of the first set. At least go out with a crowd pleaser (interference aside)

Just listening to the concert from last night .

After the Joshua tree has finshed and Bono says “ here’s what came next “

Now am I the only one that would swap angel of Harlem round with the combination of zoostation , the fly and wild horses . Like the e & I tour. Cut the encore down then .

Just listening to the concert from last night .

After the Joshua tree has finshed and Bono says “ here’s what came next “

Now am I the only one that would swap angel of Harlem round with the combination of zoostation , the fly and wild horses . Like the e & I tour. Cut the encore down then .

I disagree — R&H is what came next. What I’d change, is I’d have them playing All I Want is You as an epic main set closer.

If they did that, swapped Bad & Pride, and replaced Elevation with The Fly... I’d call this a perfect setlist, in the context of playing JT in full.

Given how popular R&H is down here its no suprise they'd play something from that album.

Pretty happy with the setlist to be honest. Just the placing of Every Breaking Wave is weird. It seems to kill of the momentum built up by the preivous couple of songs.

I'm a little annoyed by Ultra Violet, not just because I personally don't care for the song but also because we got it in 2010. So many other cool tracks have been played on intervening tours that we haven't heard in Australia for a long time or ever. Can we have one of those instead? Whether it's UF, Zooropa, Wild Horses, another song from SOI/E, whatever, I care far less about the specific selection and more about hearing something we've missed out on.

This is why, incidentally, I'm stoked EBTTRT has stayed in the set - it was last performed in Australia in 1998, and New Zealand in 1993. It's not a favourite of mine on Achtung but I'm absolutely keen to hear it live for the first time.

I like that they're playing a 24 song set rather than 21-22 they played last time. Noel plays for about 50 minutes too so just over 3 hours combined is pretty good.

Mt Smart feels like it's buried behind some light industrial area, it's weird.

Were there any setlist changes on night 2?

edit: nvm, just checked u2gigs.

Best Thing for Every Breaking Wave, was hoping we would see All I want is You

Last edited:
More like the LOLtown tour, amirite??

Given how popular R&H is down here its no suprise they'd play something from that album.

Must be REALLY popular in Los Angeles because we got to hear All I Want Is You, When Love Comes to Town, and Angel of Harlem all in one show. In fact, it looks like most of the i+e shows in 2015 had 2 songs from R&H.

They also played 3 R&H tracks at the Apollo Theatre show last year.

So much for the band being aware of that local popularity we keep hearing about.

Last edited:
Were there any setlist changes on night 2?

edit: nvm, just checked u2gigs.

Best Thing for Every Breaking Wave, was hoping we would see All I want is You

Maybe they’ll sub that in for Angel of Harlem at some point. Hope they do because the song is amazing, I was also at the three R&H song LA I+e show, and it was a highlight.

I wonder if the EBW/Best Thing slot is where we’ll eventually see
The Miracle

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom