The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 - Show & Setlist Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read this thread now. I’ve been in Hawaii all week so haven’t done much video watching. So please correct me anyone who has seen it, it’s probably just me or I can’t make an educated judgment yet....

But it seems to me that they are tearing it up this tour??

That “Into my arms” snippet was followed by some 360 like “wide awakes” and they’ve seemed thoroughly energetic and well rehearsed yet loose and fun at the same time.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Or tell me I’m wrong?

I think you're wrong. Firstly, it's no good so early in the set. Into My Arms was fucking amazing, and quite extended (not as much as the 2017 "Heroes" snippets though).

And I think the wide awakes are the worst I've ever heard. He's not going for it like he used to, not holding the notes, and by the second wide awake the band is already breaking back into the standard part of the song.

So you used to get these amazing...

IM WIDE AWAKE
IM WIIIIIDE AWAAAAAKKEEEEE
IM WIIIIDEE AWWWWWAKKKKEEEEEHHEYYYYEEKEKKKKKKK (band breaks out of the chorus and back into the standard synth/guitar/rhythm part) I'm not sleeping....

Now it's more like

I'm wide awake - I'm wide awake (band breaks out of the chorus and back into the standard synth/guitar/rhythm part) - wide awake - I'm not sleeping

Still a magic song, but of the five Bads I've heard they're the least two enjoyable.

fuck it, why not
1. Melbourne 2010 (came after fkn Mercy)
2. LA1 2017 (came second last and didn't seem super planned or set in stone, I absolutely fucking lost it, belter rendition)
3. LA2 2017 (still a belting rendition but it came earlier in the encore)
4. Melbourne 2019 (Into My Arms :drool:)
5. Brisbane 2019 (Beds are Burning was great but slightly off-beat)

I can't remember all of them but I'd put the Rose Bowl 1 me and Cobbler saw together at #2 because as he said above we didn't expect it and freaked out with joy.

#1 would have to be the Vertigo show in Los Angeles on the second U.S. leg. It was a pretty standard setlist (they had soundchecked Mofo but didn't play it :sad:) but in the encore we got full-band (but I don't think full lead electric) Wild Horses, and then closed with Bad, with a long outro snippeting Patti Smith's People Have the Power that took it into the stratosphere, the crowd continuing the refrain after the band stopped playing.

If you start from minute 5 or 6 you'll get the drift.

I dunno. Something about this Oceania tour seems flat. It just sort of seems like a very odd appendix to the E+I tour.

The reviews have been unbelievable for this leg so far . One review called it U2’s defining moment . These shows are being raved about over there.

Must admit the clips I’ve seen and listened to look amazing

No fucking Bad in Adelaide?!!?! What the actual shit???

They’d better fucking remedy this by Sydney on Friday. It’s been the highlight of the tour so far.

I actually disagree, I'd have at the very least Even Better than the Real Thing, Streets and Exit ahead of it, if not more.

But they may have simply moved it to the encore.

Why the fuck did they drop Bad? [emoji20]
Have to find a video of Exit, people keep saying tonight’s version was a highlight.

Snippet watch for Ax: Daddy's Gonna Pay at the start of Vertigo.

Cobbler, you actually gonna be on Hard Quiz?

Why the fuck did they drop Bad? [emoji20]
Have to find a video of Exit, people keep saying tonight’s version was a highlight.

Possibly they had to drop something because of curfew? (Even though according to U2start they still had 7 minutes up their sleeve.

I reckon Melbourne ran ever so slightly late.

Still no opener for Asia? I heard OneRepublic rumored.

Yuk.

I was very pleased with Noel Gallagher. It sounded much better this time around (probably because of my elite position) and his new stuff actually piqued my interest. The Oasis stuff at the end of his set was well delivered.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bad, but probably partially because I was so in love with everything that was going on in front of me - the Into My Arms snippet was on point, the crowd around me seemed to really get into it too.

I’d be disappointed to have lost it in Adelaide.

I was very pleased with Noel Gallagher. It sounded much better this time around (probably because of my elite position) and his new stuff actually piqued my interest. The Oasis stuff at the end of his set was well delivered.

NG has hit a real purple patch the last couple of years. His expanded band sounds amazing, and as much as I don't like it on paper, the all solo stuff for the first part, all Oasis for the second part format actually works pretty well. They nail the solo songs, and then have a completely un-ashamed crowd pleasing singalong for half an hour at the end. Jess' harmonies on Stop Crying Your Heart Out are beautiful.

WTF is “Jess”? Is that someone we’re supposed to be aware of?

Imagine knowing the names of the people who play in the solo Noel Gallagher band. :|

I mean if you saw how talented and ridiculously hot her and YSEÉ are, you'd know their names too.

I was quite impressed with them and their music. Genuinely really enjoyed three or four of those songs. The Oasis covers, meanwhile, ranged from shit to decent. Little By Little sucks arse, Wonderwall was flat as all fuck, Stop Crying was okay and Don't Look Back in Anger was pretty great. He's obviously really enjoying his new band, and less so Oasis, and he makes that very clear, so all power to him :up:

Tonight was the first show in Sydney.

Bad returned!
They played Stuck in a Moment (no surprise there)...instead of Love is Bigger. :grumpy:

Great show, reintroduced a bit of the magic that was missing in Adelaide. Re-adding Bad helps with that of course.

I can't believe how awful the SCG facilities are. Funnel everyone through a tiny walkway for toilet/bar/food and watch everything slow to a crawl. Thankfully I only had to deal with this at the start.

Back
Top Bottom