The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 - Show & Setlist Discussion - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:08 PM
I dunno, I felt like at the start I was around a lot of people who were there for something to do on a Friday night, not because they really wanted to be there. Leaving to get drinks as soon as they don't recognise a particular song. I know I'm being a bit nitpicky and probably overthinking it but it takes me out of the show a bit. All this probably helps shape how I feel about how the band are going.

Bono said 'fucked up' instead of 'messed up' in Ultraviolet Zoo TV style, wonder when that last happened.

kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Wholeheartedly disagree, I thought tonight was better. Bono in much better voice, band seemed a bit looser, show seemed to flow better, and the crowd seemed a lot more willing as well.

Plus I Will Follow. What a great surprise that was, though it wasn't as good as the searing versions they played at the first Rose Bowl show.

Into My Arms snippet for Bad was fucking sick. Loved that shit.

Em loved the show, too. Really, really enjoyed herself. Her least favourite part it turns out was not TTYW ("I got lost watching the painting") but the Australian flag at the end of the show, with which I wholeheartedly agree. Our flag sucks shit and is racist.

I really wish they hadn't closed the roof. The rain was adding such an amazing vibe. Was really special, particularly when it started raining hardest during Running to Stand Still

Didn't cry as much tonight, maybe I put too much pressure on myself to do so with my partner and friends around, but then I got my moment during Ultraviolet tonight. I fucking love that song, totally take back what I said about replacing it, Edge's fucking guitar line always kills me and I just love Bono's lyrics and delivery. Tonight it was really special hearing it. When I first heard Achtung Baby, I was 15, and Ultraviolet was the main song that convinced me to keep giving the album another chance... it was the song above all that kept me interested when at first I found most of the album off-putting (cue my EYKIW post and later on a mysterious C0BL post by a certain someone...) and of course at the time I was quite lonely as well. And continued to be lonely for many years, but U2 were always there for me. And I always felt so much good feels when Bono would sing the bridge, "your love was a light bulb / hanging over my bed..."

And to be standing there, 29, my life amazing, and with my partner Emily there, only present because she wanted to share in something that was so special to me, and to then hear Ultraviolet, its lyrics, that line in particular, with Bono really going for it as well, cuddling Em, fuck me, that was really special. To in that moment reflect back on my life, to that 15yo boy, and where he is now. Wow. Super special
So happy for you Cobbs. I saw that IWF was added and I just remembered our reactions when we got that surprise encore at Rose Bowl 1 and how pumped we were. It’s my least fav of the four “early staples” but I was so damned excited to hear it and they killed it.

Also glad the missus liked it; any other specific comments she made? I’ve made a habit of always giving my other tickets to friends who haven’t seen them before (you are the exception), because I love to hear the positive feedback on their first experience.

I’m getting less confident they’re going to mix it up more in a real way; one would imagine they would do something different for places they’ve never been before, but they’ll probably just focus on giving the best standard seitlist performance they can. Those hoping for The Ground Beneath Her Feet in Mumbai, for example, may be overly optimistic (but damn wouldn’t that be cool).

lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
And to be standing there, 29, my life amazing, and with my partner Emily there, only present because she wanted to share in something that was so special to me, and to then hear Ultraviolet, its lyrics, that line in particular, with Bono really going for it as well, cuddling Em, fuck me, that was really special. To in that moment reflect back on my life, to that 15yo boy, and where he is now. Wow. Super special

this is what a U2 show should be about.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
It was.

Beautiful Day just continues feeling a bit redundant (and gets no snippet love either, as its outro is used for Bono to introduce Herstory Ultraviolet). Replace it with something like Out of Control or Gloria and I swear the casuals won't start heading for the exits.
Ehh, I don’t buy that. Personally, BD is probably my least favorite single of that decade after Crazy Tonight, but the “casuals” love that song; it’s probably their most popular track since JT.

OOC and Gloria have a lot of energy, but most of the casuals you’re talking about probably have never even heard them before.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 - Show & Setlist Discussion

Great review, Cobbler! Glad everyone else had a good time, wish I was seeing this show another time.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
(they closed the patented Interference retractable roof .

Meow
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Bono really going for it as well, cuddling Em.
And you just stood there and let him?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

More like cuck04, amirite??
Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Bono The Bull
Old 11-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Can’t believe that coward Headache didn’t show.
I was there. You just didn't see me.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #111
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Would pay to see that,pay per view?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I’m on my way to JT Melbourne and cannot wait to kick Headache’s arse in our long awaited fight.
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
I dunno, I felt like at the start I was around a lot of people who were there for something to do on a Friday night, not because they really wanted to be there. Leaving to get drinks as soon as they don't recognise a particular song. I know I'm being a bit nitpicky and probably overthinking it but it takes me out of the show a bit. All this probably helps shape how I feel about how the band are going.

This has been standard at pretty much many of the shows I’ve been to. Even in Mexico, I had seats and the bay pretty much half empty from Red Hill to Exit while they got drinks.

One of the reasons I like going close because you’re near people who are legit there for the show and the songs and not just a Friday night outing.

As I was walking out, there were just so many pissed bogans who I am certain, barely knew many of the songs after the first half of the show. The Triple M U2 fan, but to each their own. This would probably me at some concerts where I’m super casual in my interest
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

I really wish they hadn't closed the roof. The rain was adding such an amazing vibe. Was really special, particularly when it started raining hardest during Running to Stand Still

I know right. Running to Stand Still turned out the be a highlight of mine from last night, and there was that moment during the song where I just thought to myself “this is actually perfect” when the rain fell and I wanted it to keep going for the rest of the JT set.

Cause I felt like this next part of the show (Side B) was for me, as a big fan of the band. In any weather.

It was just a beautiful scene. I captured a little harmonica snippet on video that I’ll treasure.

That bloody Etihad roof always lets me down.
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Ehh, I don’t buy that. Personally, BD is probably my least favorite single of that decade after Crazy Tonight, but the “casuals” love that song; it’s probably their most popular track since JT.

OOC and Gloria have a lot of energy, but most of the casuals you’re talking about probably have never even heard them before.
I'll admit Elevation and Vertigo are rock solid opening the encore. Followed by an energetic Even Better with band intros, and EBW gets an appreciative applause at the end. Beautiful Day at this point just feels like they're returning to the Elevation/Vertigo section again, except they don't need to, there's no second encore break here. I Will Follow killed it earlier in the set, and it's probably not much more familiar to casuals than OOC or Gloria.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #115
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I was there. You just didn't see me.
Show yourself coward. You've got JT Adelaide to redeem yourself before I call it a forfeit.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:19 AM   #116
Refugee

I just read this thread now. I’ve been in Hawaii all week so haven’t done much video watching. So please correct me anyone who has seen it, it’s probably just me or I can’t make an educated judgment yet....

But it seems to me that they are tearing it up this tour??

That “Into my arms” snippet was followed by some 360 like “wide awakes” and they’ve seemed thoroughly energetic and well rehearsed yet loose and fun at the same time.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Or tell me I’m wrong?
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's just about as much as I could realistically hope for, and they're playing 24/25 songs a night too. Like Bono gorging himself at an all you can eat buffet, I leave feeling full and satisfied.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post

That “Into my arms” snippet was followed by some 360 like “wide awakes” and they’ve seemed thoroughly energetic and well rehearsed yet loose and fun at the same time.

Bad / Into My Arms was so good.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #119
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It's just about as much as I could realistically hope for, and they're playing 24/25 songs a night too. Like Bono gorging himself at an all you can eat buffet, I leave feeling full and satisfied.
Is Bono ever truly satisfied after a buffet? I’m reminded of the old Bob Marley track:

Old 11-18-2019, 02:56 AM   #120
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
So happy for you Cobbs. I saw that IWF was added and I just remembered our reactions when we got that surprise encore at Rose Bowl 1 and how pumped we were. It’s my least fav of the four “early staples” but I was so damned excited to hear it and they killed it.

Also glad the missus liked it; any other specific comments she made? I’ve made a habit of always giving my other tickets to friends who haven’t seen them before (you are the exception), because I love to hear the positive feedback on their first experience.

I’m getting less confident they’re going to mix it up more in a real way; one would imagine they would do something different for places they’ve never been before, but they’ll probably just focus on giving the best standard seitlist performance they can. Those hoping for The Ground Beneath Her Feet in Mumbai, for example, may be overly optimistic (but damn wouldn’t that be cool).
One of the few early tracks that Edge still really slays on guitar.

She really enjoyed it. I would say 99.9% because of being there with me, but she said she came away with more of a connection to the band, a bigger appreciation for them. Blown away by a lot of the visuals (she didn't hate Trip because she wasn't listening, she was fixated on the painting), cried during Mothers of the Disappeared. Thought the encore was good. She won't become a fan, don't think she'll go out of her way to listen to them ever again, which is all fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
And you just stood there and let him?
It's a bit hard to stop the man with all his fat.

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019, asia, australia, joshua, new zealand, tour, tree, u2