The Fly vs. The Fly vs. The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
The Fly is one of the best, if not THE best live song in U2's catalog in my opinion. Which version is your favorite: ZooTV, Elevation, or Vertigo/360°? I'd have to go for the Vertigo/360° version.

ZooTV was great because of Bono's great vocals, and I liked how the last chorus was done. Elevation was good because of the :censored:ing brilliant solo, plus an extended ending and an intro, but it seemed a little week without falsetto in the chorus.

But I like the post-2005 version the best because it's a blend between the two. The song sounds better in the lower key, plus it's got the longer outro. I really dig the version from Glastonbury, and the version from the Chicago DVD would be good too, but Bono's guitar is too damn loud.

Thoughts?

Vertigo/360 version seconded.

I don't like the Elevation version and the key it in makes all the vocals sound the same.

The late Vertigo/360 versions to me are the ultimate fulfillment of the song live. I love the drum roll outtro, very reminscent of the the ending to When Love Comes To Town on RnH (movie).

1. 360
2. Zoo TV
3. Vertigo
4. Elevation

There is a difference in 360 and Vertigo: namely Edge playing the Strat instead of the Variax (improvement), Bono's guitar being louder and being that Tele (big improvement), Bono not mailing it in vocally (big improvement) and the intro being sharper. I consider it the best version of the song they've done. ZooTV is a close second, as that was probably Bono's best vocal take and they just looked badass as shit (especially Edge) back then. Vertigo is third. Elevation is last.

I'd say Vertigo/360, but I might be biased since that's the only version I've seen live. :drool:

1) U2360
2) Elevation
3) ZooTV
4) Vertigo

The U2360 version was just POWERFUL live. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. But, it was the only time I heard The Fly live. Anyhow, pure :drool:

I was considering having the 360 and Vertigo versions in different categories, but they are pretty close. If that's the case, 360 is my favorite.

There is a difference in 360 and Vertigo: namely Edge playing the Strat instead of the Variax (improvement), Bono's guitar being louder and being that Tele (big improvement), Bono not mailing it in vocally (big improvement) and the intro being sharper. I consider it the best version of the song they've done.

Agree on all of these points, it truly comes full circle with everyone being at the top of their games on 360. I think the later Vertigo versions (with the exception of Edge's guitar) come pretty close to 360, also.

I love the intro and transition of the Elevation version however the rest of the song suffers a little bit due to the higher key it's in. Love the sound of Edge and his LP on the solo though. Best tone with the solo on Elevation by far.

So maybe all the different bits of the Elevation version in the key of Vertigo.

ZooTV > 360 > Vertigo > Elevation.

The intro to the Elevation version is cool, but the song never changes gears - it peaks at the starting kick and just stays flat from there - and I hate the lack of the dual vocals.

hmm, never saw elevation - i'd probably say the original - when all the screens were blasting you - u2 were way at the top of the world then - still are really. it was quite an event to see for the first time ever.

These guys changed the face of touring rock with that tour, and that song in particular.

It was amazing.

Nothing comes close to the studio version for me, it's my favourite of all time and though I love all it's live versions, Elevation version wins for me.

ZooTV Fly will always be the definitive live version for me, sacred even. It's a case of the sum of it's parts being greater than the whole. I love how Bono's voice goes from deep in the verses to high in the chorus, and sings the chorus twice at the end. Edged guitar zips along, it 'flies' without ever being too meaty.
Vertigo/360 Fly both sound overcooked to me. Technically they are almost faultless, but it's almost a case of them trying TOO hard and thus making the song sound like a standard heavy rocker.
Elevation Fly is a crime against music.

In no way is this true.

Agreed! First of all: Edge is using a Strat again and not some semi-acoustic! It sounds much heavier (and frankly, better) with a Strat. Second, Bono is hitting those notes again in the chorus, whereas during the Vertigo Tour he would go low at the end of each sentence of the chorus, which really killed the excitement of the song.

I've seen all 4 versions live and I have to say I really enjoyed the 360 version, followed by Elevation (which was something different), followed by Zoo (don't know why there's always this big fuss about that version) and last and thank God least: Vertigo! HORRIBLE guitar choice, ridiculous sound.

And as a note: I also absolutely adore the studio version. That's the only thing I missed during 360 --> they didn't distort his voice enough, it was way too clean.

cobl04 said:
You walk out into the sports hall, lights go down, it's a whole different scene...

Epic. Elevation Fly was my favorite version until I saw the U2360 version live - nothing like having The Fly at your first U2 show. :rockon:

I LOVE the vertigo/360 version. 360 probably more than Vertigo because I love the tone of B's new guitar. Elevation I don't really care about, don't like the different arrangement. Original was good, but 360 had some newfound passion the original doesn't have.

360 is the superior version, without a doubt.

I remember Edge saying how Vertigo Fly was what they wanted it to sound like on the album or something? Or how the album version was unfinished and they got closest to what they wanted with Vertigo.

But I disagree. I think they figured out what they wanted on Vertigo and finally achieved it when they rocked out with The Fly on 360. :drool:

I remember first hearing it on the tour at Anaheim II. I had a few friends - who aren't hardcore U2 fans like I am - who wanted to go to the show, but couldn't get tickets. They went outside Angel Stadium to just listen and when The Fly started I, of course, was freaking out that U2 were playing it! After it ended, my friends all texted me and said, "Dude! What the hell was that song!??! It was insane!"

They had never heard it before! And after I told them, they all went out and got Achtung Baby and listened to it and now they love U2 like me :D

According to the band, The Fly didn't sound right until Vertigo -- and they perfected it...

Referring to the Vertigo tour;

The version from the Elevation Tour, featured just The Edge on a Gibson Les Paul Custom playing in a higher key with less wah-wah. Bono did not play guitar on these versions, as he usually performed on the heart-shaped stage in the audience. This version is also notable for its added introduction with Bono singing new lyrics over only The Edge's arpeggiated chords. His new lyrics would then involve him reciting parts of the chorus of the song. The Edge did not sing in falsetto during the chorus as he has done on the versions from other tours. This tour also included the first extended ending of the song. The band felt that although the song was good, they hadn't gotten it exactly right. David Bowie told them, upon hearing it, that it needed to be re-recorded. Bono has also said, "It took us fifteen years to really get it right live," implying that the intended product is the version played on the Vertigo Tour.

360 is essentially the same as Vertigo in that the structure, key, and flavour of the song is the same. Yes, Edge's guitar tone is slightly different and you can hear Bono's guitar better and he does a better job vocally, but they are very very similar otherwise and are closer to each other than any other version. 360 is the ultimate refinement of an overhaul that began with Vertigo.

Seeing the fly being played at glastonbury with the retro zoo tv video flashes was imense.it was the best live song ive ever heard from anybody

In no way is this true.

If you compare how radically different the ZooTV, Elevation and Vertigo versions are, the 360 version basically is the Vertigo version with a different guitar. It also has that weird rhythmic play-back thing, but that's about it. For some reason, I prefer the Vertigo versions - not all of them featured tired Bono's vocals - some were more energetic than anything I've heard from this year.

Back
Top Bottom