The '00's - U2's least productive decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Assuming the forthcoming album is the last of this decade, U2 will have released only three studio albums in this current decade. This is distinctly unimpressive when measured against their own output in the 1980's - 6 studio albums - and the 1990's - 4 studio albums, including Passengers. I think it is reasonable to include Passengers, given that it is completely original, it absorbed a significant amount of the band's time in the mid '90's, and a large part of the creative input came from U2 members (Note, I am including Rattle and Hum as a studio album. If it is excluded, then U2's 1980's output is 5.)

One could include U2's contributions to the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack as a separate album in itself, but if one were to do so, one would also have to include similar side projects in the 1980's and the 1990's. So, it wouldn't really make the 00's look any more impressive.

The arguments regarding quality have already been threshed out here, but no-one can deny that U2's output has not been prolific in this decade.

It seems that however one looks at it, the 1980's are U2's most productive decade in terms of studio album releases. One could make an argument that Passengers shouldn't be included, in which case we have a tie between the 1990's and the 2000's.

The Edge is not bald, how dare you. It's just the way he chooses to style his hair.

Spiderman

+ assorted non-album singles, best ofs, charity singles, and two massive tours... not that unproductive, really.

But, if we include that stuff, we also have to include similar stuff in the 1980's and 1990's.

My argument is no more than that U2 are relatively unproductive, in quantitive terms, in this decade, as compared to the 1980s, and (probably) as compared to the 1990's also.

Eh, I dunno. On the basis of new albums, yes. But they have released a few compilations, random singles, U2:3D, and U2 by U2. I think people often forget about the book and movie, both of which take a good while to produce.

Yeah, but the movie didn't take a long time from the band, more likely it was from the post production teams. The band doesn't need to do anything except approving/disapproving what they see.

Eh, I dunno. On the basis of new albums, yes. But they have released a few compilations, random singles, U2:3D, and U2 by U2. I think people often forget about the book and movie, both of which take a good while to produce.

But in the 80's as well as the studio albums we had:

EPs & random singles (U2:3, 11 O' Clock, Another Day, A Celebration, Wide Awake in America)
Live albums (Under a Blood Red Sky, Rattle & Hum)
Films (Under a Blood Red Sky, Rattle & Hum, Making of Unforgettable Fire)
Compilations/Side Projects (Christmas Baby Please Come Home, Jesus Christ, Sun City, Wire Dub, Band Aid, 2 tracks with Robbie Robertson)
Special Concerts (Live Aid, Live For Ireland, Amnesty)
Soundtracks & solo (Captive, In a Lifetime, Edge/Jah Wabble)

We also had Bono's trip to Ethiopia, a couple of books, one-off TV performances (Womanfish, Springhill Mining Disaster, Southern Man, etc) and plenty more.

I agree with the first post, on that scale the 2000's has been disappointingly quiet.

U2 have been getting old, we and themselves MUST come to terms with this. Just be thankful that they are still together and for new music!!!!

I think it's because the Bonemeister has been more involved with all the AIDS and Africa campaigns, One etc. eating up a lot of time that could be used in the studio.

Still, it is a good discophogary they've amassed over the years, either way :D

Assuming the forthcoming album is the last of this decade, U2 will have released only three studio albums in this current decade. This is distinctly unimpressive when measured against their own output in the 1980's - 6 studio albums - and the 1990's - 4 studio albums, including Passengers. I think it is reasonable to include Passengers, given that it is completely original, it absorbed a significant amount of the band's time in the mid '90's, and a large part of the creative input came from U2 members (Note, I am including Rattle and Hum as a studio album. If it is excluded, then U2's 1980's output is 5.)

One could include U2's contributions to the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack as a separate album in itself, but if one were to do so, one would also have to include similar side projects in the 1980's and the 1990's. So, it wouldn't really make the 00's look any more impressive.

The arguments regarding quality have already been threshed out here, but no-one can deny that U2's output has not been prolific in this decade.

It seems that however one looks at it, the 1980's are U2's most productive decade in terms of studio album releases. One could make an argument that Passengers shouldn't be included, in which case we have a tie between the 1990's and the 2000's.

And in other news, the sun will come up tomorrow.

U2 are now an established band and they are around 50 years old! do you honestly think they are gonna release new material every 2 years and tour around the clock?

Be realistic man! if they were a new young band then yes of course they need to keep knocking out albums but not now!

if they were a new young band then yes of course they need to keep knocking out albums but not now!

Yeah, this is true, the main reason the band produced so many albums in the eighties was because of desperation, they were deeply in debt to Island and their future as a group was in the balance, they had no choice but to keep churning out albums and going on the road every year, as soon as JT came along those days were over.

ATYCLB
HTDAAB
NLOTH
Spiderman

+ assorted non-album singles, best ofs, charity singles, and two massive tours... not that unproductive, really.

:up:

Exactly. There are also various performances, side projects, non-album-singles, a 3d movie, various stuff.

:up:

Exactly. There are also various performances, side projects, non-album-singles, a 3d movie, various stuff.

The guys are almost 50. You can not expect them to come up with the same creativity as if they were in their 20's -30's. The production is however a bit low. Since 1998(popmarttour was finished) they recorded:
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
NLOTH
(spiderman) (the horror :huh:)

11 years later and 3 records finished and a sideproject.

well, at least it is more than Axl has produced. God bless him :wink:

Considering the talk about the massive amounts of material recorded, I think we may yet get something new by 2010 (or the extra Corbijn directed DVD that is rumoured to include extra U2 songs not on NLOTH). Given that Bono's had two "jobs" to handle since 1998, 3/4 albums and 3 tours is ok with me. (and it beats the 3 albums and mere two tours of the previous decade, and let's not even count the amounts off non album/non single U2 songs released)

Passengers counts about as much as MDH. Or Spiderman soundtrack.

Yeah...this decade kind of sucks for them...

Spiderman The Musical

LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN

SPIDERMAN-THE-MUSICAL

I wish I was born in the 80's :(

One could make the argument of this decade being more productive than the 90's...

1990's -
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
POP
Passengers
Bono sides ("In the Name of the Father," "Save the Children")
U2 At the End of the World
"HMTMKMKM"
"GoldenEye"
"Mission: Impossible"
Best Of... w/ "The Sweetest Thing

2000's -
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
No Line on the Horizon
The Million Dollar Hotel sdtk
Ramones Tribute w/ "Beat on the Brat"
Best Of... w/ "Electrical Storm" and "THTBA"
U2:18 w/ "The Saints Are Coming" and "Window in the Skies" (which I heard last night in a liquor store :drunk:)
Bono sides ("Children of the Revolution," "American Prayer," "A Dying Sailor to His Shipmates")
U2 by U2
U23D

And last but not least... the musical
It seems most people on this forum are against U2 being involved with the Spider-Man musical... why? First of all, it's not U2 - it's Bono and the Edge. I honestly don't see how them taking part in this show is any different than them writing a song for "GoldenEye" or Adam and Larry retooling the theme for "Mission: Impossible."

Also, did anyone HONESTLY think The Lion King was going to be good? I expected massive fail on an epic scale... but then I actually saw the production and was blown away. 'Twas quite the spectacle (perfect for a big-budgeted Broadway production) and the new songs made for a more coherent narrative. This was all based on an animated Disney feature (which was, must be mentioned, also loosely based on Hamlet). Maybe because I am a fan of the comics, but I can really see some interesting themes being developed with this Spider-Man - coming of age, loss of innocence, sacrifice, plight of the individual, etc.,. Just because it's based on a comic book does not necessarily mean the musical will be any less fulfilling than other Broadway productions (case in point - the aforementioned "The Lion King" (though not the best example, as its primary demographic dwindles near the younger crowd); also "The Dark Knight" - while not a Broadway musical, still based on a comic book and many are predicting "Best Picture" nominations).

I think we should all reserve judgment until this thing sees the light of day. At the very least, we'll get more Bono & Edge material to hearken to.

But yeah, this decade has been somewhat fruitful in terms of the band's output... not nearly as much as the 80's, but considering the band was still trying to reach the masses, it's understandable - now U2 has the ability to run the risk of overexposure.

But regardless, purely judging from the band's quantitative output as opposed to its qualitative, the 00's may just be a tad more productive, IMO.

One could make the argument of this decade being more productive than the 90's...

1990's -
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
POP
Passengers
Bono sides ("In the Name of the Father," "Save the Children")
U2 At the End of the World
"GoldenEye"
"Mission: Impossible"
Best Of... w/ "The Sweetest Thing

But regardless, purely judging from the band's quantitative output as opposed to its qualitative, the 00's may just be a tad more productive, IMO.

I see your point but there is stuff they did in the 1990's you left out. Hold Me Thrill Me single, for example. I'm sure there are other examples.

I see your point but there is stuff they did in the 1990's you left out. Hold Me Thrill Me single, for example. I'm sure there are other examples.
Yeah, I can't believe I left that one out. Edited for all conveniences :wave:

EDIT: And jacobus, YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH!!!! First of all, even though HTDAAB was not so good, ATYCLB is, IMO, in the upper echelon of U2 records (above Boy, October, TUF, Rattle & Hum, POP, and the aforementioned HTDAAB... War, TJT, AB, and Zooropa reign supreme). No Line..., from what we've heard thus far, is shaping up to be quite the quality record, with hardly any of the feedback thus far being Bono's spewing of hyperbolic gobbledy-gook, but from more trusted sources (i.e. Lanois, Eno, Edge's grandmother).

Considering the talk about the massive amounts of material recorded, I think we may yet get something new by 2010 (or the extra Corbijn directed DVD that is rumoured to include extra U2 songs not on NLOTH). Given that Bono's had two "jobs" to handle since 1998, 3/4 albums and 3 tours is ok with me. (and it beats the 3 albums and mere two tours of the previous decade, and let's not even count the amounts off non album/non single U2 songs released)

Passengers counts about as much as MDH. Or Spiderman soundtrack.

Please, let's not start this again.

MDH was mostly Bono with a backing band. All the stuff on Passengers is credited to all four U2 members, plus Eno. It's also an album of all-new material, something you can't say about MDH, which has two covers and two versions of The First Time (an old song).

Why was this thread created when we just had a knock-down, drag out argument about this a couple months ago? WHY?!

Back
Top Bottom