Terry Lawless' Role

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
I was thinking about Terry, the hidden member of U2's sound at live shows, and wondering when he came on board? I only recall u2 menteioning him starting with the Elevation tour. I've checked a couple liner notes prior to Elevation and do not see his name. I do see Des Broadberry as Keyboard Tech thou- and wonder if this was the same job? Or perhaps the job/role was just uncredited prior to Elevation?

I was also wondering about the extent of Terry's role. It seems to me unrealistic that they would risk human-error for a 5th person playing live, so i suspect that Terry would basically press "Play" on certain pre-recorded elements (whether they be extra guitar parts, synths, loops, etc). An example would be Unknown Caller- Bono would call out to Terry for the organ-sounding part in middle- but do you think Terry would play the organ part live every night from Underworld, or just be pushing a button at the appropiate time for that part?

I think U2 have far too many mess ups for Terry just to play a button. Sometimes Bono starts rambling, forgets a lyric, comes in late.... the band adjusts to him. But if the synths just were a button push, they wouldn't go along with the changes. So I do think he plays live.

I believe his first official U2 tour was Elevation.

Why would he not be playing live ?

In a recent article he talked about how the shows are always rather "improvisational" and full of surprises, ie accidents and slips, which I took to mean that he's playing live. I forget the link now but it's in the pleba news thread from early this fall, I think. I totally understand why he's not on the stage. He's really good and he's really important but he's essentially a hired gun; he's not part of the creative process, the parts are already written when he comes to rehearse. And with U2 more than many bands the foursome is so important, both creatively and visually.

I've wondered the same about Dallas. He and Edge trade off on cueing the sequences and such, but does he ever actually play himself during a show? It was fun to see him sitting in on "This Is" this summer.

Dallas takes over for Edge on effects if he's too far away from his pedalboard, ie on the bridges last tour or on the outer ramp. The pedalboard is directly routed to the one in the underworld, so Dallas can always put the right effect in.

I think Desmond Broadberry filled this role on the Zoo TV tour (Popmart too?). I think Terry's first tour was Elevation.

I think Terry is basically as much a member of U2 as Adam or Larry now. He records with them in the studio also. He went to Fez with them. I think he prefers to be anonymous.

It's always pissed me off that they have Terry hiding out under the stage. It seems a real shame, to me anyway.

I was hoping they make bring any hidden players up on stage. Other bands like R.E.M, The National and Elbow all have additional players on stage with them and it would be nice to see them acknowledged.

I did notice that Dallas was on that video recently playing acoustic guitar with the band, Perhaps a change of heart?

As an aside, with the recent change of management and little noise from "yer man" this feels like a strange time for the band. We might see a few changes. :hmm:

I think that for This Is they just had to have two guitars and since it was a live recording it would be clear that they were playing either with an extra track or an extra player, so they decided to go with the extra player. And now that I think of it, didn't Dallas's guitar kick that song off? Neat opportunity for him, and also probably influenced their decision to have a second player; with the song starting with the acoustic it would have been way obvious that they were using a track.

Maybe terry doesn't want to be onstage? Maybe he enjoys walking down a busy street without being recognized as the "5th member" of U2, which he basically is. If he were onstage, he'd suddenly have people stopping him for pics and autographs all the time. I know I have no clue what he looks like.

I'm sure he is paid so well that he'd set up outside the stadium in the back of a semi trailer if they wanted him to.

Terry has stated that he prefers not to be seen.

Besides, it's not like he's playing along to every tune.

He has a great gig. He gets to tour with U2 as a fellow musician, yet his anonymity is kept largely intact. Besides, I think most fans would find it odd at this point if there were five people on stage. He'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I had a thought earlier this week, a wild card prediction for the upcoming tour, that the band would bring Terry out on stage to play on this tour. I don't expect it but it's my long shot prediction.

I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan too & I love that after so many years that they've essentially made Boom Gaspar their 6th member. He assists in writing songs as well as plays on the keys. Even if it looks weird if U2 had an extra person on stage, I think it would somehow lift the cloak off the production & open up the performances & setlists.

And did we establish that Dallas plays the odd part? I thought that someone had established that there was another musician in addition to Terry.

There are definitely some extra guitar moments from the last several tours.

What about additional percussion? The random shakers and tamborines - you think that's all on loop?

Even if it looks weird if U2 had an extra person on stage, I think it would somehow lift the cloak off the production & open up the performances & setlists.

I agree with this. I am much more impressed by watching six or seven musicians pull off some great noise than wondering about what is canned, whatever.

And did we establish that Dallas plays the odd part? I thought that someone had established that there was another musician in addition to Terry.

There are definitely some extra guitar moments from the last several tours.

What about additional percussion? The random shakers and tamborines - you think that's all on loop?

Most of that additional percussion is on a loop, yes. That's why U2 have to play along with backing tracks, because all these loops and synths and musicians on and off the stage have to be on the same page, in time with each other, etc. They used to just have Larry play off a click track, and then everyone else played off him. But that drove him nuts, as I can imagine.

He doesn't want to be on stage. It seems as though U2 are hiding him, but there you are. He's just a shy guy. They really should get someone else who can take the heat, though. Instead of playing to backing tracks, they should get another utility infielder and starting pitcher (hey Daniel Lanois! What's up!).

Most of that additional percussion is on a loop, yes. That's why U2 have to play along with backing tracks, because all these loops and synths and musicians on and off the stage have to be on the same page, in time with each other, etc. They used to just have Larry play off a click track, and then everyone else played off him. But that drove him nuts, as I can imagine.

Not sure I follow. If you listen to U2 IEM's there is not only a click track but also a programmed voice that counts them in. I always thought that must drive them mad but its what they have chosen to keep in time.

There was at least one instance of the band bringing Dallas on stage during the Vertigo tour, right?

EDIT* Information is scarce, but it seems he played onstage during OOTS during one of the Atlanta Vertigo dates.

There was at least one instance of the band bringing Dallas on stage during the Vertigo tour, right?

EDIT* Information is scarce, but it seems he played onstage during OOTS during one of the Atlanta Vertigo dates.

I remember something like this - when they were first figuring out how to play OOTS?

Not sure I follow. If you listen to U2 IEM's there is not only a click track but also a programmed voice that counts them in. I always thought that must drive them mad but its what they have chosen to keep in time.

That's what I was referring to as well, although reading back I didn't word it very well!

Yeah Boom is a much bigger part of PJ's creative process for sure & overall live too. I would just be really curious too see how a leg of a tour would pan out with Terry out there. It's a pipe dream of mine too see the band mix it up & another close musician like Terry or Dallas wouldn't bother me on stage for extended periods to time throughout a show.

Boom Gaspar is a much bigger part of what Pearl Jam does than Terry Lawless is for U2, so while I get the comparison, it's not really accurate. Boom plays on every single song now. Terry only plays on a handful of songs.

I'm also a big Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers fan. I saw them play the Beacon in NY this year for 2 shows & they have 6 members on stage, as do PJ. I really like the number of people on stage, it feels a little more exciting- there's lots more eye to eye contact & mingling on stage. Then you have U2 & I see Adam there all lonely for extended times lol.

I'm also a big Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers fan. I saw them play the Beacon in NY this year for 2 shows & they have 6 members on stage, as do PJ. I really like the number of people on stage, it feels a little more exciting- there's lots more eye to eye contact & mingling on stage. Then you have U2 & I see Adam there all lonely for extended times lol.

You are lucky, I wish I could see TP&HB in a small venue. I am also a big fan, and would love to see some of the rare songs and deep cuts live, instead of the usual greatest hits run. Such a great, organic band. Anyone who has never seen them, GO the next chance you get!

Back
Top Bottom