Support acts for the upcoming tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If "Invisible" is the direction of the upcoming album. I would love to see these acts to open for U2
Two door cinema club, Citizens! or The Whitest Boy Alive.

If "Invisible" is the direction of the upcoming album. I would love to see these acts to open for U2

Two door cinema club, Citizens! or The Whitest Boy Alive.

I love Two Door Cinema Club, and I certainly wouldn't mind having them do the support duties at all.

Two Door Cinema Club put me to sleep opening for Phoenix years ago. :shrug:

Off the top of my head, people I'd be ok with/excited about that would sort of fit U2:

Elbow, Frightened Rabbit, Broken Bells, City and Colour, Gary Clark Jr., Foals, Florence + the Machine, Bell X1.

how about something wicked awesome like Janelle Monae.

Lanois has a new single coming, so there might be an album too. He'd be the perfect opener for U2. The crowd would love it, he'd be great, and he could play with U2 as well.

I could see it being Imagine Dragons or Bastille though. And I could see them getting cups of piss thrown at them.

Savages are a possible opener. The kind of music they make is right up U2's alley. They share a similar attitude and influences. Savages might be too cool to accept an offer though, or might not want to play arenas yet.

I'd love it if they managed to bring PJ Harvey out again. The only chance I got to see her was on the Elevation tour and she was awesome, though the crowd was completely ignoring her. She's one of the most powerful performers I've seen.

Broken Bells are an obvious choice. U2 love them, Mercer used to be a big fan, they're working with DM...

The Boxer Rebellion! This band deserves to support the biggest rock band in the world. Simple Minds would be cool too. White lies or Editors are other options.

It'd be unusual but I wouldn't give it a zero chance with their relationship. Though then again they've had many opportunities to invite him over the decades and that hasn't happened.

The Airborne Toxic Event for Europe. no one knows them here. I went to a EU show and they barely filled a 400 people capacity club. They deserve some more attention.
Foals would be fitting too. whoever suggested Noel Gallagher needs a big hug too! Love his solowork.

Last tour I think Kasabian was a good non mainstream opener.

As long as its not Glasvegas and Interpol live again. I'm happy. Both were promising on single , but terrible live.

They don't go for total unknowns, they go for people starting to make a name for themselves. Airborne Toxic Event aren't really well known in America either, they do well at live shows in major cities but outside of some independent radio stations they don't get too much exposure. I've seen them live, they're fun but their frontman is a bit insufferable and their ambitions to be bigger than they are don't fit their abilities.

Foals is great. Never heard them before today. Thanks. Now on to amazon to buy Holy Fire.

With alot of talk about the infulence of kraftwork on the new album maybe they will be the main support. Im sure they still tour

They don't go for total unknowns, they go for people starting to make a name for themselves. Airborne Toxic Event aren't really well known in America either, they do well at live shows in major cities but outside of some independent radio stations they don't get too much exposure. I've seen them live, they're fun but their frontman is a bit insufferable and their ambitions to be bigger than they are don't fit their abilities.

I get what you mean with their front man Mikel. He has a big yap and that was kinda dissapointing for me too. But the music they make is still beautifull. In my eyes they would be a nice opener which doesnt make the avarage crowd fall asleep.

Note also that they took Snow Patrol, Kaiser chiefs etc with them IN 2009/10.
Both those bands where more than known in the areas they played (dublin, amsterdam) and far from starting to get a name. Personally I wouldn't say they are only going for the criteria you put up here. They usually take some up&comming bands thogether with some more known acts.

Back
Top Bottom