Super Bowl Halftime Performance: U2 vs. Bruce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince over U2, c'mon now! Vote peoplel!
I think U2 was better, my reasoning is the beautiful tribute for 9/11 victims when our nation was in mourning only 4 months later.

Prince over U2, c'mon now! Vote peoplel!
I think U2 was better, my reasoning is the beautiful tribute for 9/11 victims when our nation was in mourning only 4 months later.

That's why to me U2's performance really should be in a separate category. It's not really fair to either side to compare performances which were just straight up fun time entertainment to a performance that was specifically designed as a tribute. It's apples and oranges. Compare U2's show to other 9/11 tributes but not to other Superbowl Halftime shows.

Dana

I don't think it's cool to like U2 anymore. It seems like its anti-cool now. :lol:

Anyway, as for the performance, I enjoyed it. It had energy and he played some songs I liked. Seems like everyone was having a fun time. It was a good party time atmosphere which is what a Superbowl half time show should be. With that being said, U2's pretty much nailed it on the head for the time in which it happened, and what America was going through. It's hard to top the whole idea of what that halftime show was about. Even though people make fun of Bono running around or his flag jacket, I thought it was a great pick-me-up and I can't think of any other non-American who could have pulled that off and actually seemed sincere about his empathy. Totally a right time, right place, sort of event. I gotta give it to U2. :up:

I am pretty sure that it wasn't it the camera man's employment contract to have Bruce slam his crotch into his camera, breaking the camera and causing him to have to get stitches...but then again, I could be wrong and this was actually a job perk?

I am biased as not really being a fan of Bruce Springsteen AT ALL. I turned him off as soon as he said, "chicken fingers".

I actually thought Petty and the Heartbreakers were brilliant!

Edge and Bono were live during their performance, and Adam and Larry's parts were backing tracks. Was trying to figure out last night- Bruce's and Stevie's (improvised some stuff so that was a giveaway) guitars were live, I'm guessing the horns were, not sure about Max, Patti, Nils, and Gary.

While Bruce himself was entertaining, I personally thought the music sounded like crap and the cheese factor was extremely high. No amount of fireworks could save that performance, at least for me.

Best:
1. U2 or McCartney
2. U2 or McCartney
3. Petty
4. Prince
5. Bruce
6. Stones

springsteen was a little dad-rock oriented

i would like to see REM play half time at the superbowl one day

although REM are a little bit too independent for the mainstream superbowl audience

my prediction:

a wave of people claiming u2 are perfect and can do no wrong.

let's find out.

I never say that U2 can do no wrong, but it's true that they often don't do any wrong...regardless of anything U2, that was one of the most God-awful halftime shows I've ever seen. What kind of artist has to have one of their other members advertise them while they're on stage..."It's Boss-time!" and so on; then you have Bruce himself giving one of the worst rock n' roll speeches ever: "Put down your Guacamole, because the next 12 and a half minutes are gonna be awesome!" or something to that effect. Yeah, that just pumps me up so much! And then we got to hear all those wonderfully boring Springsteen hits that are supposed to get us all nostalgic about america and such; followed by idiotic football puns "It's quitin' time, I think we're going into overtime".

Please, I'd much rather have to see Janet Jackson's middle-aged nipple again next year than ever have to go through something like The Boss again.

U2's performance kind of annoyed me. 9/11 was a poweful and humbling thing and then we get Bono strutting around like he's God's gift to humanity soaking up all the applause. This annoys me enough at regular U2 concerts, but at the halftime show it bordered on inappropriate IMO. It seemed like to Bono it was more about Bono than the victims of 9/11, and that really got on my nerves. That wasn't a time for him to show off. He should have acted with more humility.

U2's performance kind of annoyed me. 9/11 was a poweful and humbling thing and then we get Bono strutting around like he's God's gift to humanity soaking up all the applause. This annoys me enough at regular U2 concerts, but at the halftime show it bordered on inappropriate IMO. It seemed like to Bono it was more about Bono than the victims of 9/11, and that really got on my nerves. That wasn't a time for him to show off. He should have acted with more humility.

Wait... Bono isn't God's gift to humanity? :wink:

That's why to me U2's performance really should be in a separate category. It's not really fair to either side to compare performances which were just straight up fun time entertainment to a performance that was specifically designed as a tribute. It's apples and oranges. Compare U2's show to other 9/11 tributes but not to other Superbowl Halftime shows.

Dana

I think you hit the nail on the head, I don't think its fair either.:|

i'm no big fan of bruce (sorry) and i don't follow or listen to him much (sorry) but I was honestly pretty bored by his performance and the yippie! we have fireworks! lets use them at all times! and the mandatory "1 2 3 4!!!" before every song transition was sort of dumb.

You must hate ALL rock shows then...

Bono is known for acting this way more than almost anyone. He acts extremely arrogant and that's why so many non-U2 fans can't stand him. There's a difference between being confident and energetic for fun for the sake of entertainment and acting like you're the most amazing thing since sliced bread. Watch Thom Yorke or Peter Gabriel and the difference is quite obvious. If you could hear inside Bono's head you'd probably hear "Good God I'm amazing". At least that's what it seems like to me.

I can understand the irritation there, but in my opinion, I don't think it's quite one-sided - okay, sure, Bono didn't have to prance around the stage, presenting the audience with a glorified rockstar image. HOWEVER, the 9/11 tribute was U2's decision (originally Janet Jackson was set to perform the halftime show, but after a couple producers saw U2's performance at Madison Square Garden, they wanted them to perform... apparently, because U2's performance brought them to tears).

Now bare in mind, this was, after all, a football game, and the halftime show shouldn't be quite so morose, but rather a celebration, and I think that's what the band attempted to give (with, of course, a few melodramatic moments, courtesy of you-know-who). I don't know, I'm just not completely sold on the idea that Bono was purely intended on bringing the spotlight on himself - as is often the case with the man, his heart was in the right place (his soft-spoken prayer before the song kicks off), but I'm sure he doesn't mind the attention (him traipsing about the stage).

Overall, I truly believe U2 gave one of the best Super Bowl performances - not the best (that honor goes to Prince, IMO), but one that will definitely be remembered.

Bono is known for acting this way more than almost anyone. He acts extremely arrogant and that's why so many non-U2 fans can't stand him. There's a difference between being confident and energetic for fun and the sake of putting on a show and acting like you're the most amazing thing since sliced bread.

That's the thing though. People get that impression of him, but I think it's wrong. I honestly believe Bono is quite misunderstood by people who don't exert an ounce of effort in trying to understand him. His shtick is unique, and I, along with many others, love him for it.

Do you honestly believe Bono had U2 play the superbowl halftime show so he could steal attention from the 9/11 victims? I don't think so. I'm betting he simply wanted to cheer people up.

It's probably all in the perspective one takes, though.

That's the thing though. People get that impression of him, but I think it's wrong. I honestly believe Bono is quite misunderstood by people who don't exert an ounce of effort in trying to understand him. His shtick is unique, and I, along with many others, love him for it.

Do you honestly believe Bono had U2 play the superbowl halftime show so he could steal attention from the 9/11 victims? I don't think so. I'm betting he simply wanted to cheer people up.

It's probably all in the perspective one takes, though.
I've watched many concerts and read books ( i.e. A Conversation Wth Bono) and listened to interviews with Bono for years and I've never got the impression that he was humble. I'm not saying he's not a good guy. I appreciate what he's done to help others. At the same time I believe he thinks very highly of himself and is very cncerned withhis image. His live antics are a perfect example. I think it's silly to say it's all just an act to entertain us. It seems like he absorbs and loves every single ounce of attention he gets. I'm not saying he performed at the superbowl solely for his own benefit, but it seemed to me like more than anything he was enjoying the gobs of attention and praise people were heaping on him.

Bono is known for acting this way more than almost anyone. He acts extremely arrogant and that's why so many non-U2 fans can't stand him. There's a difference between being confident and energetic for fun for the sake of entertainment and acting like you're the most amazing thing since sliced bread. Watch Thom Yorke or Peter Gabriel and the difference is quite obvious. If you could hear inside Bono's head you'd probably hear "Good God I'm amazing". At least that's what it seems like to me.

Don't fool yourself Thom Yorke and Peter Gabriel are just as egocentric as Bono...

Just listen to Thom talk, he thinks he's God's gift to artistic integrity. And Peter Gabriel, don't even get me started on him...

Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but you're fooling yourself if you don't see it.

The truth is you have to have an ego in order to get on stage and think that your voice, your music, your dancing, head bobbing, etc... is going to entertain a 1,000, 10, 000, a million viewers.

Back
Top Bottom