Streets vs. Streets vs. Streets vs. Streets vs. Streets vs. Streets vs. Streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently watched the Super Bowl performance, and was surprised to find myself thinking that it wasn't nearly as amazing as I'd remembered. :reject:

I recently watched the Super Bowl performance, and was surprised to find myself thinking that it wasn't nearly as amazing as I'd remembered. :reject:

From what point of view? Musically, I'd agree it's no more impressive than Slane or Boston...but obviously there's a lot more that went along with that performance that made it special.

More than any news report or retrospective, it's watching that performance that brings be back to how I felt in the days after 9/11. And from a much less important perspective, it was an important moment for U2.

From what point of view?

From mine. ;)

No, I mean musically. In my memory, it had all sounded quite a bit different.

I had other post 9/11 stuff that impacted me more than the Super Bowl performance, but my opinion obviously doesn't take anything away from anyone else's associations with it.

Or maybe I'm just an old, cold-hearted bitch. That's probably it. :wink:

No streets performance tops Slane Castle (elevation tour), when they go from All I want is you from streets, it's amazing.

:hi5:

I love them all but if I had to choose . . . this would be it :heart: . . . gotta admit though that Lovetown and this last 360 version with Streets coming off the Amazing Grace intro are mighty close runners up

hearts.gif

:)

From mine. ;)

No, I mean musically. In my memory, it had all sounded quite a bit different.

Yeah, funny how memory can do that, particularly with music. Thought he same goes for films as well. Occasionally I'll have some nostalgia and put in one of the movies I grew up with from the 80's that I thought was amazing at the time,and just look at it an cringe. But mirrors don't change; only the reflections. :)

It's not the age, it's the mileage. :)

Has to be Lovetown for me. I'm not sure the band have ever sounded tighter or heavier and Bono's voice just blows away any subsequent performance IMO. Somebody already mentioned Larry's drumming and I've got to agree, he just gives the thing so much drive and propulsion, it sounds properly awesome, a real primal roar. Since then, it's been a bit more lightweight, at least to my ears.

Purely from a performance POV, The Joshua Tree and the Lovetown tours are poles apart. They just sounded so much more acomplished and audacious in 89/90.

I love the ZOO TV and Popmart versions too, the techno twist really brought the song bang up to date and breathed new life into it IMO, but over the last 10 years, I don't think there's been much variation. This is a charge you could level at the bands live performances in general though.

Larry hit on a good point in the From The Sky Down doc, on stage they could be incredibly inconsistent throughout the 80's (and to some extent the 90's too), the pendulum swing was enormous, some nights they were transcendant, some nights-they weren't.

Having learnt their craft, the band are able to reproduce the studio material almost seamlessly on tour. They are now far more consistent, the pendulum swing isn't as dramatic. On the one hand, this is a good thing, but on the other performances can quickly become very repetitive and almost clinical.

I used to love the studio-to-stage transitions, the development of tunes like Bad, Streets, Please, All I Want Is You and even Mysterious Ways was just so exciting, you never knew what you were going to get from night to night. Nowadays I kind of feel that if you've heard one version of Vertigo, you've kind of heard them all.

Larry hit on a good point in the From The Sky Down doc, on stage they could be incredibly inconsistent throughout the 80's (and to some extent the 90's too), the pendulum swing was enormous, some nights they were transcendant, some nights-they weren't.

Having learnt their craft, the band are able to reproduce the studio material almost seamlessly on tour. They are now far more consistent, the pendulum swing isn't as dramatic. On the one hand, this is a good thing, but on the other performances can quickly become very repetitive and almost clinical.

This is a really good point. In the FTSD press conference, Bono said something along the lines of they didn't really know what they were doing in the 80's and 90's, but they were often great. Now they know that they're doing, but they may be sacrificing the "great" for the "merely good."

I'd agree with those who like the Elevation version. The Bad/40/Streets medley is among the best officially released live versions out there.

The earlier versions from Joshua Tree and Lovetown are awesome, too, because they take longer to build... there's an eternity of keyboards before you ever hear the Edge come in with the guitar. With newer versions, it's like they're too eager to get to the climax without allowing for that slow build (insert sex jokes here).

And I actually like the Popmart version, too. Again, the officially released Please/Streets/Playboy Mansion medley on the Popheart EP is outstanding.

Zoo TV. I maye be biased, but I really, REALLY love that version.

And Joshua Tree tour, like in Rattle And Hum.

The Slane Castle Elevation performance was also spine-tingling.

Just downloaded all four Point Depot shows from LoveTown.

Originally I only had the New Year's Eve show...

...and I can't believe I overlooked the other three shows. That show on December 26... :drool: One Tree Hill is incredible...

...Oh my....I may have just fallen in love with this band all over again :sad: :love:

Just watched some ZooTV Streets and some 360 Streets....I really like how they incorporated those JT videos from ZooTV on 360. At Anaheim, when the cameras were on Edge playing under the Claw - looking so happy - and then right next to it was old footage of him (with long hair :D) just hanging out with his best friends and smiling - looking just as happy....that was a great moment for me. I'm glad they did that.

Just watched some ZooTV Streets and some 360 Streets....I really like how they incorporated those JT videos from ZooTV on 360. At Anaheim, when the cameras were on Edge playing under the Claw - looking so happy - and then right next to it was old footage of him (with long hair :D) just hanging out with his best friends and smiling - looking just as happy....that was a great moment for me. I'm glad they did that.
that's sure to be great moment.

Just downloaded all four Point Depot shows from LoveTown.

Originally I only had the New Year's Eve show...

...and I can't believe I overlooked the other three shows. That show on December 26... :drool: One Tree Hill is incredible...

...Oh my....I may have just fallen in love with this band all over again :sad: :love:

My oh my, that show is remarkable. The last 3 mins of one tree hill...

1. LoveTown
Bono's voice at his best. Heavy, powerful, just like Larry's drumming.
And I just love the intros Bono used to make quoting poems, or his own lyrics from other songs. Melbourne 13-10-1989, he quotes some lines from ''Heartland'' during Edge's guitar intro, amazing.
No need to mention the New Year's Eve show, awesome.

2. JT
I think we had some of the best versions of Streets on that tour. Raw, passionate, with Bono's voice just exploding on every ''BURNING DOWN LOVE''
And the red screen, sublime.
Croke Park and Tempe my favourites.

3. ZooTV
There was some kind of epicness added to those "electric" keyboard intros that I really used to like. And all those red screens, just as epic.
"Hey you!" <-- I never liked that a lot, though.

4. Elevation Tour
I think of the Slane Castle show, that transition from All I want is you is great, I love Bono's shouts, and the response he gets from the audience. Epic.
The Boston one is also between my favourites.

5. 360
I don't like it that much.
The intro with Amazing Grace, ok, nice, but IMO 360tour didn't give us the best Streets ever heard. The versions sounded all quite the same, and I think really nothing special.
Among the recent ones, I liked only the Glastonbury version, and I don't know if to consider that part of the 360 tour or not.

6. Vertigo/PopMart
CRAP.
They killed my favourite song.

1) ZooTV
2) U2360
3) Elevation
4) Popmart
5) Joshua Tree
6) Lovetown
7) Vertigo

No matter what, Streets is epic and incredible live. Went completely mental when I saw it live. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom