Steve Lillywhite Wants to Replace Simon on American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, now that two of the original three will be gone, they should take it as a sign to end it.

With all due respect, it is the #1 show on television......20 million people watch Idol every night it airs. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, doesn't matter....all nights garner right around 20 million. The next best show for Fox is House, which averages around 11 million viewers.

So, if that number dips to half that, then maybe they should give some thought to ending it.

That being said, it will be interesting, at least for me, to see just how well or poorly it rates without Simon around. The theory in the business is that the early episodes will be impacted a lot more greatly than the episodes that occur once the show moves to Los Angeles.

No matter how much we may like or dislike this show, it's a ratings and advertising juggernaut for the network and shows no sign of slowing down.

Also, if Simon leaves for a year, and ratings dip.....won't it be dramatic when he returns for the following season?

With all due respect, it is the #1 show on television......20 million people watch Idol every night it airs. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, doesn't matter....all nights garner right around 20 million. The next best show for Fox is House, which averages around 11 million viewers.
this is true, but i'm talking in terms of quality. though since i don't watch, the chemistry between the judges might still be great. but to me it seems like a jumping the shark thing. it's like with csi miami. sure, they still pull in great ratings. but half the original cast is gone. so, while from an advertising point of view they shouldn't (and won't) call it quits, from a quality point of view they should. i don't even know if i'm making any sense, but yeah.

this is true, but i'm talking in terms of quality. though since i don't watch, the chemistry between the judges might still be great. but to me it seems like a jumping the shark thing. it's like with csi miami. sure, they still pull in great ratings. but half the original cast is gone. so, while from an advertising point of view they shouldn't (and won't) call it quits, from a quality point of view they should. i don't even know if i'm making any sense, but yeah.

But you're not really explaining why a business entity should fold up its biggest selling product. I mean, do you think that it would go over well at a board meeting if the EVP of Programming said "I know that American Idol is the most watched show on Television for years running but it's possible we may have jumped the shark. I don't really have any statistical evidence of this, no, but still....". That just makes zero sense. We're not talking about a scripted drama here, with character development and story arcs to worry about. The "quality" of this show was low from the beginning. There's nothing to really erode or get stale. You might even argue that switching up the judges every few years injects energy and interest into the show.

We have to remember that interference is a little bubble. Our tastes are not necessarily indicative or reflective of what your "average" consumer watches or listens to. Think about how many people you've come across who think U2 are crap; it's possible that most of them LOVE American Idol and discern no major drop off in quality. Can you imagine wanting to see Adam Lambert in concert? I couldn't, but people of all ages love that dude. And good for them, it doesn't harm me any.

And this not a cleaning product they are selling, the "quality" is and will always be subjective. As long as 20 million people say the show is good, Fox would be bat-shit crazy to do anything but air the program.

It can also be argued that the viewers are not tuning in for the judges quite as often as you think they are.

I very much respect where you are coming from, trust me. I love the romance of "Art over Commerce" and all, and have applauded when shows like The Wire stopped before they started to get stale, but, when you apply it to Network television you're not being at all realistic.

And, Ian, respectfully, sorry but I'm addressing Kahn and her comment here, not what everyone else said. She made a specific argument for shutting the show down because 2 of the 3 original hosts will be gone and that's what I'm addressing. I admire your loyalty to her and whatnot, but your comment really wasn't necessary, I read and understand what everyone is saying in here.

And, Ian, respectfully, sorry but I'm addressing Kahn and her comment here, not what everyone else said. She made a specific argument for shutting the show down because 2 of the 3 original hosts will be gone and that's what I'm addressing. I admire your loyalty to her and whatnot, but your comment really wasn't necessary, I read and understand what everyone is saying in here.

with all due respect, i was speaking at large and, while stating the obvious, it was hardly intended to defend her at all. i actually disagree with her and can't help but go back to the financial argument, given it's an argument that impacts a lot of things i like and dislike (usually negatively for me), so it's not like i'm unaware of it - it's where the little capitalist in me tries to get out and my inner communist usually can't stop it.

with all due respect, i was speaking at large and, while stating the obvious, it was hardly intended to defend her at all. i actually disagree with her and can't help but go back to the financial argument, given it's an argument that impacts a lot of things i like and dislike (usually negatively for me), so it's not like i'm unaware of it - it's where the little capitalist in me tries to get out and my inner communist usually can't stop it.

Fair enough, it just was posted right below my response to her so it very much reads like you are addressing me.

Group hug group hug. I think the show would definitely lose a lot of viewers without Paula and Simon. They were like staples. Losing one is bad enough but I would probably consider not watching anymore when Simon leaves too. So if you figure I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way, I'm sure the ratings will go down some for sure. I'm already getting kind of over it as it is and I've been watching since the first season. Though I suppose if it were Steve Lillywhite I'd have to watch just to see what its like.

Back
Top Bottom