Steve Lillywhite says "NLOTH" was 'failure'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe NLOTH was a commercial 'failure', but not an artistic failure...
This again proves that the people involved in the process of making U2 albums are thinking too commercially.

There's no argument here about NLOTH failing to sell a lot of copies, because that's most likely true, but it's NOT an artistic failure and certainly didn't get bad reviews as he's claiming.

Lilywhite didn't claim that - the writer of the article did.

And what he's talking about mostly in the direct quote is the band's reaction to the poor sales, not his own.

I believe this is post # 11...:sexywink:

ohsnap.gif

Lilywhite didn't claim that - the writer of the article did.

And what he's talking about mostly in the direct quote is the band's reaction to the poor sales, not his own.

I'd say that Lillywhite pretty much claims that the album was a failure. He says the public are always right - indicating that the lack of sales prove that the album was a failure - and it does seem implied to me that a commercial failure equals an artistic failure. (though there is room to argue whether that implication is really there, it very much seems to me that this is what Lillywhite is saying). He also says that the Morocco vibe was a failure.

I'd say that Lillywhite pretty much claims that the album was a failure. He says the public are always right - indicating that the lack of sales prove that the album was a failure - and it does seem implied to me that a commercial failure equals an artistic failure. (though there is room to argue whether that implication is really there, it very much seems to me that this is what Lillywhite is saying). He also says that the Morocco vibe was a failure.

Well I think it's grossly unfair to judge what a person said by "implications", which really only exist in reader's heads.

Well I think it's grossly unfair to judge what a person said by "implications", which really only exist in reader's heads.

I agree with you. However, this is Interference -- refer to the "Why do people hate U2?" thread to see where U2387 thought my comment that U2 pander to the American audience logically implies that I hate American music.

I agree with you. However, this is Interference -- refer to the "Why do people hate U2?" thread to see where U2387 thought my comment that U2 pander to the American audience logically implies that I hate American music.
Please stop bolding U2387's username. It makes you look obsessed. :)

Just scroll down to the highlights at the bottom if you do nothing else. Don't read all of this, but you have to see the highlights to know what you are dealing with here!

Now, I addressed that in my post and made a well reasoned argument for why I thought U2 were not pandering to America.

It centered on much more than the implication that you hated American music, which I never implied.

As I said when I first responded to it, I was not even responding to your words, I was responding to some misspelled crazy ass internet rant that you somehow thought was a good idea to post.

You are now being dishonest and accusing me of putting words into your mouth in a completely different thread than the one we were discussing in

But if you want to be the obsessive little jerk that I've seen you be with BVS, then lets let everyone have a little look at what you wrote over in the U2 haters thread.

Allow me to ask the general reading public here who is off the deep end here.

65980 says:
Originally Posted by 65980
Quote: "Wannabe American, Irish narcissist, who reckons he has a God given right to preach at politicians about what's wrong with the world while hoarding his own obscene wealth where taxes can't touch him. Still peddles his bland, pompous, corporate music around the world, charging $100 a ticket so people can watch him disappear further up his own arse."

Meant to be humorous (I guess), but some of that is fair. U2, and Bono in particular, do pander to the American audience. That is beyond doubt. And Bono's business interests were partly moved abroad to avoid paying larger taxes. That's a fact. U2's music is corporate -- they're on a major label and refer to themselves as a "corporation". They do charge obscene prices for a inflated, all-frills live show -- the very opposite of what they spoke of valueing back in the 80s.

I do not know, however, if the recent back surgery allowed Bono to go up his own arse or not.
(the bold/underline text is the crap he found somewhere and legitimized)

U2387 responds:
This is ridiculous, sorry.

None of that is fair.

1.)U2 and Bono's job is to sell their music. America is a big music consuming country and has a lot of influence in the world, in case you missed that. Reaching out to them is a good business practice, not pandering. They say and mean good things about nearly every place they play in.

Plus, coming to a country before you are super famous and widely loved and being outspoken about their very popular President Reagan is hardly pandering to it.

They do have a special relationship with America, and there is nothing wrong with that. The ideals of America, though not always put into practice, are worth respecting and emulating. They have inspired many. But as I said above, they hardly view America through rose colored glasses, they've been outspoken about some of the harsher realities of the US.

The implication here is somehow, America is cheap and bland in terms of overall music taste. Rock and Roll and its influencing genres started entirely in America.

2.)So what? They did what any international business would do. Its not like a majority of their royalties come from Ireland anyway. Ireland had no royalties tax before the change they avoided, so people are effectively complaining that Bono went from paying 0 in taxes to 20 million instead of 30 million.(I made up a number, but you get the idea). There was nothing morally wrong or hypocritical about that tax move.

U2 pays very high income and sales taxes in Ireland. I highly doubt any 4 individuals contribute more to the Irish tax base.

3.)So what? Artists are businesspeople, they sell their work. Of course its true, but its not a valid thing to criticize U2 over. U2 are the least hypocritical artists out there on that front as they don't babble on about how high and mighty and communist and anti capitalist they are while living in the lap of luxury. They admit they are capitalists, and they show through their actions(how they pay their crew, how they give back, what they advocate) that capitalism does not need to be exploitative.

4.)I just saw Roger Waters last night, The Wall tour, it was a pompous anti capitalist rant. People paid $350, $450, $500 for tickets. And he has about 20 musicians on stage with him, no other original Floyd members and sings about 45% of the time!

And you are here saying U2 has an overblown, all frills live show????????

You are saying they charge obscene prices? Try and find a U2 ticket for the prices I mentioned at Waters. Try and find a Police, Stones, Madonna, list goes on ticket for $30 or $55. It wont happen.

The frills have always been an enhancement to and not a substitute for the music. U2 is a better live band musically than any other band out there, whether its simple Vertigo/Elevation arena set or elaborate 360 stadium set.

Its not like they're Britney Spears or N-Sync using frills to cover up for lack of talent.

I am truly sorry, but this is one of the worst posts I've ever read here

I've seen plenty of other posts you've written. You do realize that you are only about 500 times smarter than the internet urban dictionary moron who posted that drivel you just tried to legitimize, correct?

I mean, that was probably some fat loser sitting in his basement who listens to Nickelback!

65980's highlights

-He uses Bono's American Flag jacket worn as a tribute to 9.11 victims in the weeks following the tragedy as a way to criticize U2 for "pandering to America."

He obviously never saw the Super Bowl halftime show, or people moved to tears at 3rd leg Elevation concerts.

Anyone else here think the outpouring of good will and support offered to America after 9/11 was pandering or somehow calculated or disingenuous?

But I am the one who is off the deep end. It was obviously calculated pandering, silly me.

-He responds to this

The frills have always been an enhancement to and not a substitute for the music. U2 is a better live band musically than any other band out there, whether its simple Vertigo/Elevation arena set or elaborate 360 stadium set.

Its not like they're Britney Spears or N-Sync using frills to cover up for lack of talent.

With this:
Let me get this straight -- you're equating the "arena/stadium set" with "musically"? Musically, as I understand it, is based on the music that the musicians play, not based on the pixilation of the video screen.

And asks if I am on drugs???????????

I thought I made pretty clear that no matter the setting, U2 is always about the music first and the visuals are an enhancement, not a substitute. Where does he get the video screen pixilation idea??????????

What U2 fan would agree that U2 puts on an "all frills" live show and that they are where they are because they've kissed the asses of the corporate media?

Which is exactly what he claimed, although he'll say otherwise.

If anyone wants to read the thread he is talking about, its pretty clear who is reasonably making points and who is making crazy assertions and not even addressing the rebuttals. He's had nothing to say about Madonna ticket prices or about U2 and MTV back in the day, for example.

Please stop bolding U2387's username. It makes you look obsessed. :)

Where else did he bold it?

I want to go there and link them to the 9/11 comments, the crazy accusation that I judge music based on a video screen(when I made crystal clear that it was, you know, music), the assertions that U2 are just a greedy, obscene corporate behemoth, etc.

He wants to bold my name, they should know that I was only responding to lunacy.

Jesus Christ, you guys.

I hate these pissing contests as much as anyone.

Talk to the guy who decided to bold my name and take a discussion to another thread.

I would just as soon not have the posts from there linked here.

(This is not directed at U2387, but for the readers in general herein):

Just to clarify since a certain poster above is throwing lots of dirt at me, the "crap he found somewhere and legitimized" (see his post above) is actually a parody-humorous entry on "Bono" from the Urban Dictionary, and was quoted in the other thread not by me but by DondeEsta. (You'll notice I highlight everyone's name, not only that other guy's.) I simply responded to her post, at which point U2387 entered the fray. He apparently isn't having a good day.

(This is directed at U2387):

Here's how it should be:

40574_462195490195_735200195_6823771_5575333_n.jpg

I'm the cat, you're the dog, and the watermelon is Interference.

We should all be able to share opinions and get along.

I am having a fine day.

You need to stop with the arrogant, condescending crap.

Dondeesta posted this as an example of U2 haters. You legitimizing it is what I had the problem with. The issue started with you. It wasn't some thing I jumped into as a 3rd party after my girlfriend dumped me and took the dog with her.

We were sharing opinions and getting along.

My opinion was that the U2 haters thread contained a rather terrible post by you that wasn't too well reasoned. They seem like knee jerk reactions and that is confirmed when you do not address responses but rather go aggressive and then play victim.

Explaining myself and posting what you posted for others to see is somehow throwing dirt at you?

You wouldn't be in this position now if you hadn't decided to bring your discussion from another thread over here. I just provided some context.

So you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Your "highlights" are crazy opinions that very few would share. Bono's 9/11 jacket used in your argument is the most gratuitous cheap shot I have ever seen here. You still haven't told me where you got your video screen judgement accusation.

You had to bold my username in order to score some cheap points about the nature of interference at my expense. (you weren't just bolding for reference)

That is what started this exchange that now has everyone annoyed with both of us.....

Take it up with me via PM if you have any further issues.

Don't bold my username and do any other passive aggressive, immature bs.

And sorry everyone for filling this thread with our non sense!

I am not much of a conspiracy theorist at all, but Magnificent was black listed by the radio, period end of story. Love it or hate it, this should have been a huge song- its normally what the radio laps right up from U2. The buildup, the pounding drums and bass, Edge's riff, Bono's soaring vocals, the slide solo. This song has everything people look for from U2. Some people wrongly claim U2 by numbers was the problem with Magnificent and why it flopped. Not true at all. Though I would like them to experiment a bit more as much as anyone, U2 by numbers always works on the radio.

fuck magnificent.

I'm personally disappointed and sad because of the lack of airplay for Magnificent. I remember how people loved it when it was first released to radio and then they suddenly stopped playing it. I never understood why. It could have been a HUGE hit for U2. Sad to see such an amazing song go to waste :|

I don't know how realistic that comparison is. Music, especially what gets played on the radio, has changed a lot since 1984, 1987, and 1991 respectively.

But, I'm not a fan of "Magnificent", so what do I know.

I'm personally disappointed and sad because of the lack of airplay for Magnificent. I remember how people loved it when it was first released to radio and then they suddenly stopped playing it. I never understood why. It could have been a HUGE hit for U2. Sad to see such an amazing song go to waste :|

I remember reading at the time that there was some bill going through Congress that would make radio stations in America pay royalties to the performers of songs and not just songwriters (or something like that). Bono was one of the artists who said he supported this bill and the bigwigs in charge of radio airplay boycotted anyone who supported it by not playing their songs for a while. This was right when "Magnificent" was released and that's why it wasn't played here; I don't know about other countries, though. Bad timing.

Is that what the "blacklisted" comment was about? Jeez, I don't think I'd heard anything about that.

Is that what the "blacklisted" comment was about? Jeez, I don't think I'd heard anything about that.

Yes, that is exactly what it was.

Radio stations made no bones about doing this.

It is one of the few conspiracy theories of the thousands floating out there that I am a strong adherent to!

Everyone I know in the casual U2 fan or casual radio listener who is not a U2 hater group really likes Magnificent.

Its one of those songs that grabs people.

Just like Rachel D said, really bad timing.

I don't know how realistic that comparison is. Music, especially what gets played on the radio, has changed a lot since 1984, 1987, and 1991 respectively.

But, I'm not a fan of "Magnificent", so what do I know.

Point well taken.

I guess I was coming at it more from the angle of songs like BD and Vertigo, which were successful on the radio in 2000 and 2004 respectively probably because they stood out in a positive way amidst the Britney/boy band/pop/hip hop crap of the times.

Given the mainstream successes of Kings of Leon, The Killers and to a lesser extent, Muse(still more of an alternative charts band) in the same era as NLOTH, one would think that a modern sounding twist on classic U2 would do well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom