Stay Appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlad n U 2

Blue Crack Addict
Lets appreciate Stay, what an amazing and beautiful song especially with that amazing video...on the bus...Bono on that giant statue in Berlin...U2 as angels helping another band play music...and at the end Bono falling onto the middle of the road near passing cars. :love:

Stay is such an amazing song it almost makes me cry every time I hear it and see the video. I think its one of their all-time classics. :up:

This song is awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwessssoooommmmmmeeeeeeeee.

You ever notice that incredibly beautiful echo in Bono's vocals, most noticeably at the beginning? It's sorta easy to miss on a casual listen but the way it comes in with "green light" is perfect, and that far away echo on his vocals makes it almost haunting. One of my favorite all time songs. :up:

Definitely in my Top 5 U2 songs. Its that sort of song sooo good it kinda makes you wanna cry :sad:, I can't stop saying this but the video for it was legendary. :up:

Stay is probably the band's best song...top 5 at least. I've always loved it since I first heard it and I've just loved it more and more with each listen. Bono's vocal is just perfect on the track.

this song is unreal....

its a toss up between stay and with or without you for me as the top U2 song....i still wish they could nail this one better live :reject:

An outstanding song and also one of my favorites. And it's true Bono did at one time say it was his favorite, but I think he now says his favorite is Miss Sarajevo.

Truly, one of U2's finest moments.

Also, to whoever said they wish the band could nail this one better live, I wholeheartedly disagree. This is one of the few songs I think is guaranteed to be a highlight in a U2 show. Everytime this is performed, the band nails it, IMO.

Lyrically and musically it connects on every level. The story of domestic abuse, from the outsider who wants to help but won't get let in.

One of the saddest, most poignant moments in any U2 song is featured here:

"Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground" followed by nothing but a quick, jarring cymbal crash. The sound of a poor girl getting knocked out by an abusive lover's blow.

The live version strips it down to its core: a beautiful song. But the recorded version features some truly out there production that I love as well.

One of my U2 top 10s.

Lets appreciate Stay, what an amazing and beautiful song especially with that amazing video...on the bus...Bono on that giant statue in Berlin...U2 as angels helping another band play music...and at the end Bono falling onto the middle of the road near passing cars. :love:

Stay is such an amazing song it almost makes me cry every time I hear it and see the video. I think its one of their all-time classics. :up:

I couldnt agree more, defo one of U2's best songs! :drool:
but the scenes of Bono and the band on the statue were filmed in the studio on a 10 foot model :wink:, the video is based on Wim Wenders film Himmel über Berlin, Der [Wings of Desire] an excellent film I recomend everyone to see!

I couldnt agree more, defo one of U2's best songs! :drool:
but the scenes of Bono and the band on the statue were filmed in the studio on a 10 foot model :wink:, the video is based on Wim Wenders film Himmel über Berlin, Der [Wings of Desire] an excellent film I recomend everyone to see!

Nonetheless, the scenes of the members of U2 on the giant statue were breathtaking, I could feel the fear if Bono fell off!

Wim Wenders directed the video. If there was a comp. for the best music video of the 90s Stay would win hands down, never in my life have I seen such a great music video (i think thats enough) :reject:.

I want to get the video clip but I don't know how... Can somebody help me?

One of U2's greatest songs and possibly their best video.
Just wish they would do a full band version live, the acoustic one doesn't do it for me.

Stay is my favorite U2 song , it's sad but romantic , the lyrics , the video , Wings of Desire , Bono's acting in the video , directed by Wim Wenders , PERFECT!

I'll only ever suggest Realplayer for one thing, and that's the fact that you can download videos off of Youtube with it and then burn them onto discs.

This is true, but the quality of the vids on you tube usually looks pretty bad when you watch it on a larger screen.

It's a beautiful song, I love all the versions, one out of two reasons for me to listen to Zooropa from time to time (the second one is First Time).

One of my fav U2 songs!!!!
They should bring it back full band , acoustic version on Elevation tour somehow was a bit of a drag!

I was fortunate enough to see them play it at the Nijmegen 1993 zoo-show.
They played it on the mainstage , not on the b-stage.
It was just:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

the criteria for U2 18 was their most played/most popular radio hits. pretty sure you hear sweetest thing on the radio a lot more often than you hear stay.

Yeah, I wish it was what they thought were their best singles. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom