Stand Back People!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight: a thread on a topic that I consider completely insane is posted on a public online message board, and I shouldn't read or comment on it?

Not a chance. I have every right to be here, as does everyone else, because this topic is detrimental to anyone out there that is a simply a fan of the band and its music.

No slight against you, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but it's the mere fact that you have rules for stalking another human being that gives U2 fans in general a bad reputation to the average person. And I, for one, do not want to be lumped in with them.

I mean, really: read back what was written. Be quiet and respectful or Bono will go away? Don't rush him? We're talking about stalking another human being! That is insane.

I think using the term "stalking" in this situation is inappropriate. It's well-known that people will wait for the band at publicly-announced, public events. There have been countless threads here on Interference about many people meeting various band members at public events-- whether it's at a stadium before/after a show, or at a radio station appearance, or at TV studios, or wherever. Countless Interferencers-- most of them regular posters who are accepted members of this community-- have shared their stories of meeting the band at public events. Are you now categorizing all of those people as "stalkers"???

It sounds as if you have no interest in meeting the band members, and that's totally fine! But for those of us who would like to shake our idols' hand, or get an album covered signed, or perhaps even get a photograph, going to a public event is pretty much the only way this would ever be possible. And I think the band understands that, which is why they pretty much always stop to sign and shake hands at public appearances (except for Larry, but he's a different story entirely).

I've heard stories over the years of people doing things that I would consider to be crossing a line (ie, staying at a hotel where the band always stays). In fact, I'm not even comfortable waiting outside the band's hotel when they're in town for a show-- but supposedly there were over 1,000 people waiting for the band outside of their Chicago hotel a couple of weeks ago. It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I'm also not going to judge those 1,000 people and call them "stalkers."

No slight against you, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but it's the mere fact that you have rules for stalking another human being that gives U2 fans in general a bad reputation to the average person. And I, for one, do not want to be lumped in with them.

Not sure why you think this is isolated to "U2" fans. Most, if not all big bands have fans that wait for them to get autographs or pictures, this is not limited to "U2" fans.

Might not be something you're interested in and that's fine, but this entire phenomena is not restricted to "U2" fans.

On the other hand, I now can't get this picture out of my head. :lol:

Is it just me, or did anybody else get a visual of Bono as a wild animal while reading this. I can almost picture a Steve Irwin (RIP) type saying, "And here we have the rare species knows as Bono, indigenous to pubs and stadiums worldwide. Let's see how close we can get, but....*whispers* we must remain calm and quiet lest we want him to scurry away.".

Last edited:
I think using the term "stalking" in this situation is inappropriate. It's well-known that people will wait for the band at publicly-announced, public events. There have been countless threads here on Interference about many people meeting various band members at public events-- whether it's at a stadium before/after a show, or at a radio station appearance, or at TV studios, or wherever. Countless Interferencers-- most of them regular posters who are accepted members of this community-- have shared their stories of meeting the band at public events. Are you now categorizing all of those people as "stalkers"???

It sounds as if you have no interest in meeting the band members, and that's totally fine! But for those of us who would like to shake our idols' hand, or get an album covered signed, or perhaps even get a photograph, going to a public event is pretty much the only way this would ever be possible. And I think the band understands that, which is why they pretty much always stop to sign and shake hands at public appearances (except for Larry, but he's a different story entirely).

I've heard stories over the years of people doing things that I would consider to be crossing a line (ie, staying at a hotel where the band always stays). In fact, I'm not even comfortable waiting outside the band's hotel when they're in town for a show-- but supposedly there were over 1,000 people waiting for the band outside of their Chicago hotel a couple of weeks ago. It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I'm also not going to judge those 1,000 people and call them "stalkers."

Thank you Ally, I think I saw you Thursday night but I didn't want to loose my spot!

and its not just about How many times must someone try to shake this man's hand or get his autograph? It's also showing support and love for the band.

It sounds as if you have no interest in meeting the band members, and that's totally fine! But for those of us who would like to shake our idols' hand, or get an album covered signed, or perhaps even get a photograph, going to a public event is pretty much the only way this would ever be possible.

I've met Bono once, don't need to meet him again. If it happens, great, if not, I already met him. If anyone goes to a place, i.e. their hotel, with the expressed intent on meeting them, that's one thing, but if one does this multiple times then that's stalking. Anyone that goes to Eze, for example, to walk by his house or to get a beach clip - that's stalking.

Not sure why you think this is isolated to "U2" fans. Most, if not all big bands have fans that wait for them to get autographs or pictures, this is not limited to "U2" fans.

Might not be something you're interested in and that's fine, but this entire phenomena is not restricted to "U2" fans.

I've been to a lot of concerts, been to a lot of places, and there's rabid fans everywhere. Perhaps I feel this way because because I'm part of the U2 universe and exposed to it on a regular basis, but there's something about this band that brings the loonies out. Not saying they're the only band, but I haven't seen it on this scale.

and its not just about How many times must someone try to shake this man's hand or get his autograph? It's also showing support and love for the band.

You can show your support and love for the band any number ways: buying albums, concert tickets, DVDs, merchandise, supporting their causes, etc. But if you go out of your way to meet them repeatedly, in different cities, locales - then there's something wrong. In my opinion.

Does he appreciate when fans show up - I'm sure he does. But when you start to recognize faces, have people rushing and yelling for him, then who knows what he thinks? He could be polite in person, but behind closed doors say: "It's that girl that keeps trying to meet me everywhere again! That's crazy."

This is all my opinion, but I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I've met Bono once, don't need to meet him again. If it happens, great, if not, I already met him. If anyone goes to a place, i.e. their hotel, with the expressed intent on meeting them, that's one thing, but if one does this multiple times then that's stalking. Anyone that goes to Eze, for example, to walk by his house or to get a beach clip - that's stalking.

But the original poster said nothing about context. She did not refer to waiting outside his apartment or anything. She could very well have been referring to hanging by after a sound check, which is on public grounds. (unless there is a post I skipped, I haven't read the whole thread.) The band make public appearances specifically for the fans. So there's nothing wrong with standing around for that.

I've not seen the crowd get a tad rowdy, but in ChiCLAWgo this one bitch tried to get in front of my friend and I at the soundcheck, which we kindly pointed out was not her original spot in line. She knew better than to fuck with Mia THUNDER.

But, like I said, I really doubt anyone like that posts here. These sort of freakout people only get out of their mom's basements when the band is in town. My friend was telling me that he was disgusted in Toronto when people got shovey, and some actually threw their merch into Bono's car. Like he's seriously going to sign after that? Get real. Doesn't sound like a fan to me. Sounds like a douchebag.

there are unconfirmed confirmed rumors that a song called "Stand Back" will be on SOA, rumored (still waiting on confirmation) that this is a sequal of sorts to "Stand Up Comedy".

I couldn't agree more. I have met the band once...and it was enough for me. I had my moment and I firmly believe that everyone should have that...their MOMENT. Not their hour and 25 minutes. Being respectful and letting everyone have their chance seems fair. Being greedy, however, isn't.

The people I encountered in LA who got shovey were autograph hounds who I've seen at every celebrity event there.

There are plenty of people who would like to have the opportunity to meet the members of the band they love, for either an autograph, picture or just to express their thanks for the entertainment. I am sure Bono and the rest of U2 expect this from their fans. Its part of their job. On the other hand they need to be careful about how they meet and greet fans. You never know, it only takes one person to create a serious problem. People could get hurt, fans as well as the celebrity.

JC was just saying that if everyone could stay calm and orderly that Bono would be able to meet more people. Instead some people feel as if they can monopolize the time, crowd in to be sure they meet him and not have any consideration for all the rest of the people who are waiting. Bono does try to reach as many people as possible. I watched Edge and Adam do it at SNL.

Edge even said "You have to be quick pepole" when fans were taking pictures. He stopped to pose quickly for them. Adam did the same. Again its part of their job.

Bono told us he would be back, I believe he had every intention on coming out to speak to us, but those few people ran and screamed after his car, how could he get out? Would you come out with all these people running and screaming at you? They did the same thing to Larry when he came out, they ran and screamed at his car. CRAZY!

So JC, thanks for posting this thread. The more people who read it might spread the word to others, just stay calm and wait for him/them to come to you. If you miss the chance there is always a next time.

cause you'll fall down
if you don't stand back and you shove!

shove! shove! shove! shove! shove!

After reading a few comments and some of the stories I've heard, I have to do this post!!!

TO EVERYONE OUT THERE:

WHEN WAITING TO SEE BONO DO NOT YELL AT HIM!!!! HE WILLGO AWAY!!!

DO NOT RUSH HIM! HE WILLGO AWAY!!! BRIAN WILL DEFINATELY MAKE HIM LEAVE.

IF EVERYONE WOULD STAND THERE RESPECTFULLY, HE WILL STAY LONGER AND PEOPLE WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF MEETING HIM.

I KNOW ITS EXCITING BUT COMPOSING YOURSELF IS THE BEST WAY TO HIM!!!!

MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT HE IS VERY SOFT SPOKEN AND NOT LOUD UNTIL HE'S ON STAGE!

THROUGH MY MANY EXPERIENCES IN THE PAST FEW YEARS WITH WANTING TO MEET HIM I CAN SAY THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.

MAYBE BRIAN WILL EVEN GET TO KNOW YOU AND KNOW YOUR NOT A THREAT IF YOU ACT APPROPRIATELY!!!!! :up:

As per usual, this thread has gone a bit off course.

Addressing the original post, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what she wrote. So she used a big font, big deal. Many of the things she wrote have been reiterated by U2's security details at these meet and greets. It is a fact that Brian/whoever is on detail do scan for familiar faces in these situations and do watch people carefully and steer Bono clear of people who appear to be a threat. It is also a fact that if you can manage to control yourself and get on the handler's good side, your chances of meeting the band increase greatly.

Obviously, some people do need to be reminded not behave in an aggressive threatening manner, case in point recent happenings in NY or whatever. Maybe it's something in the water there, I personally saw some female try to launch herself into Bono's SUV window after a show last tour and she was dragged several feet and then fell off onto the pavement. You, lady, are crazy and dumb as shit.

I think it's also a tad presumptous to claim that the band doesn't want to meet their fans. Of course they do, otherwise they wouldn't be so friendly and accomodating when they do meet them. There are lots of celebrities who aren't, let's not forget.

And I think it's a bit hypocritical for a person who would wait over 24 hrs and write numbers on hands draw up lists etc (in some cases, many times on a tour) to get front row spots to turn around and call someone else who waits outside a TV or radio studio for the band "obsessed" or "crazy" or "stalker". Who's to say that Bono wouldn't rather meet up with fans outside the context of the show than to see your butt in the front row again? Not pointing any fingers, and I'm not saying he'd rather either one over the other, but really...

...bottom line, we all have our ways of showing the band how we appreciate their place in our lives. Some line up for hours to get front row, some line up to see them outside Letterman or whatever. Just as we have post after post and thread after thread outlining how people should behave with respect and decency in the GA line, I see no problem with a small discussion about how people should behave with respect and decency in the meet and greet setting. :up:

As per usual, this thread has gone a bit off course.

Addressing the original post, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what she wrote. So she used a big font, big deal. Many of the things she wrote have been reiterated by U2's security details at these meet and greets. It is a fact that Brian/whoever is on detail do scan for familiar faces in these situations and do watch people carefully and steer Bono clear of people who appear to be a threat. It is also a fact that if you can manage to control yourself and get on the handler's good side, your chances of meeting the band increase greatly.

Obviously, some people do need to be reminded not behave in an aggressive threatening manner, case in point recent happenings in NY or whatever. Maybe it's something in the water there, I personally saw some female try to launch herself into Bono's SUV window after a show last tour and she was dragged several feet and then fell off onto the pavement. You, lady, are crazy and dumb as shit.

I think it's also a tad presumptous to claim that the band doesn't want to meet their fans. Of course they do, otherwise they wouldn't be so friendly and accomodating when they do meet them. There are lots of celebrities who aren't, let's not forget.

And I think it's a bit hypocritical for a person who would wait over 24 hrs and write numbers on hands draw up lists etc (in some cases, many times on a tour) to get front row spots to turn around and call someone else who waits outside a TV or radio studio for the band "obsessed" or "crazy" or "stalker". Who's to say that Bono wouldn't rather meet up with fans outside the context of the show than to see your butt in the front row again? Not pointing any fingers, and I'm not saying he'd rather either over the other, but really...

...bottom line, we all have our ways of showing the band how we appreciate their place in our lives. Some line up for hours to get front row, some line up to see them outside Letterman or whatever. Just as we have post after post and thread after thread outlining how people behave with respect and decency in the GA line, I see no problem with a small discussion about how people should behave with respect and decency in the meet and greet setting. :up:

gabe, i already said most of that in a lot less words. get with the program and add your lyric. :p

And I think it's a bit hypocritical for a person who would wait over 24 hrs and write numbers on hands draw up lists etc (in some cases, many times on a tour) to get front row spots to turn around and call someone else who waits outside a TV or radio studio for the band "obsessed" or "crazy" or "stalker". Who's to say that Bono wouldn't rather meet up with fans outside the context of the show than to see your butt in the front row again? Not pointing any fingers, and I'm not saying he'd rather either one over the other, but really...

...bottom line, we all have our ways of showing the band how we appreciate their place in our lives. Some line up for hours to get front row, some line up to see them outside Letterman or whatever. Just as we have post after post and thread after thread outlining how people should behave with respect and decency in the GA line, I see no problem with a small discussion about how people should behave with respect and decency in the meet and greet setting. :up:

:up:

Aside from the fact that I think that waiting in line to see your favourite band perform in concert, even more than 24 hours, and repeatedly going to places to meet the same person are two different things - I have to agree with all of what you said.

However, my main issue with all this is that the mere fact that "guidelines" to meet Bono had to be written in the first place is very sad, indeed. All of what the original poster wrote is simply common sense, and I don't know why people would behave otherwise.

But to me, if you meet him outside the arena before soundcheck as you're waiting to see the show that night is one thing. If you're a habitual visitor to the band's hotel in the hopes of meeting him - well, that's a bit much for me. If it works for some people, fine, but I am sometimes embarrassed as a U2 fan for the lengths that people will go to to meet Bono or the rest of the band.

I've heard of people going to their hotel and waiting, for example. It's different than, say, being somewhere and Bono just showing up, as has happened to friends of mine in Montreal. And sometimes it's the same people trying to meet the band over and over. How many times must someone try to shake this man's hand or get his autograph?
I think several people have addressed this already, so I'll leave it at that.

However, my main issue with all this is that the mere fact that "guidelines" to meet Bono had to be written in the first place is very sad, indeed. All of what the original poster wrote is simply common sense, and I don't know why people would behave otherwise.
So then your issue isn't with the original poster, it's with the idiots who don't have the common sense or decency to treat Bono and Co like human beings.

Out from under your rafts
C'mon ye people
Stand back and don't shove!
:applaud:

But to me, if you meet him outside the arena before soundcheck as you're waiting to see the show that night is one thing. If you're a habitual visitor to the band's hotel in the hopes of meeting him - well, that's a bit much for me. If it works for some people, fine, but I am sometimes embarrassed as a U2 fan for the lengths that people will go to to meet Bono or the rest of the band.

We're on the same page on this. Hell, I'll fully admit that I'd run up to Edge 102 if I get a text telling me they're doing an interview there, hellyeah! Or go to a party if I hear they might show up, sure. ;) Even then however I usually plant myself at the end of a line or away from the overall crush. Mostly because my goal is to actually have a decent conversation with the guy, well as normal as that could possibly be with tons of other people wishing to do the same..I don't ask for autographs anymore because I already have one addressed to me with a Bono-drawn cartoon of me leaning on Larry's shoulder so it doesn't get much better than that :lol:

But go camp outside their hotel...I dunno...your hotel is your home when travelling so that's a bit much I agree.

I gotta say though I thought I had seen it all until I saw a grown-ass woman being dragged by his SUV. I still can't believe it, honestly. So, sadly not everyone has the same notions of common sense :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom