Spiderman total to reach 40 million!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
:ohmy:

Spider-Man to weave his web on Broadway

Total costs to reach $40 million

It would take 8000 years to break even

BONO'S new Spider-Man musical is set to be the most expensive production in Broadway history.

The U2 frontman - along with bandmate The Edge - will write the score for the upcoming New York show based on the comic book superhero, and total costs are expected to reach $40 million.

The production - which will have a weekly running cost of up to $1million - will be helmed by The Lion King director Julie Taymor.

A source said: "She doesn't care what it costs. Does not care at all. Her attitude is, it's for the art, and you don't question artists."

Sources say the budget may have to drop to $35 million, but the show would still have to run successfully for 8000 years to break even.

The way I understand it is that it costs $40 million to produce it plus $1 million per week to run the show. I guess that explains why it would take so long to break even.

This project always seemed like a bad idea to me, and I've yet to read anything about it that will convince me otherwise. Although I hope I'm wrong, I sense a disaster that will be many times greater than a flop like The Capeman.

This project always seemed like a bad idea to me, and I've yet to read anything about it that will convince me otherwise. Although I hope I'm wrong, I sense a disaster that will be many times greater than a flop like The Capeman.

Rattle and Hum 2.0.

The very idea of it has always seemed downright corny to me. The fact that Bono and Edge are involved makes me cringe. Maybe the tunes will be great, but the setting is dumb.
And how exactly are they writing the tunes anyway? Edge is gonna score out the charts for a 60 piece orchestra? Please. Some arranger/orchestrator is gonna get a demo tape of the chords and melodies and take it from there.
Spiderman? I mean, WTF?
Lastly, for the sake of the art or not, it seems fiscally irresponsible for Bono to sign on with this when he's been capaigning so hard to funding for Africa.

Not to mention this has taken time out of finishing the new u2 album.

I mean, HMTMKMKM was one bass ass mutha of a tune, and yet they held it off Zooropa to give it to Batman? Why? Terrible decision imo.

Every time they're involved in some side project other than u2 it seems half baked. Passengers, Million Dollar Hotel, Goldeneye, Batman, bleh.
Good tunes here and there, but as a whole I think it takes away from the strength of the name U2.

I think I've maybe said this before, but when I imagine this Spiderman musical, I can think of a few cinematic / TV parallels, all intended to be deliberately awful:

- David St Hubbins' projected Jack the Ripper musical, featuring a song called 'Saucy Jack' ('This Is Spinal Tap')
- 'Freud!' ('Friends', a musical about the life of Sigmund Freud, 'starring' Joey Tribbiani)
- A musical about John Merrick, The Elephant Man (from 'The Tall Guy', an obscure but rather amusing 80s film starring Jeff Goldblum and Emma Thompson. Some of the songs and staging for this fake musical actually appear in the film, and are hilariously dire.)

Edge and Bono, forget writing for the stage, and stick to what you know best. Better still, hurry up and finish this damn album, and get out on the road already!

if those figures are true, well i think that's actually immoral in this day and age - that kind of money could be used much more wisely

Wasn't there supposed to be a Batman musical that eventually just fell through the Cracks?

I think I've maybe said this before, but when I imagine this Spiderman musical, I can think of a few cinematic / TV parallels, all intended to be deliberately awful:

- David St Hubbins' projected Jack the Ripper musical, featuring a song called 'Saucy Jack' ('This Is Spinal Tap')

:lol:

"You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack....you're a haughty one, Saucy Jack"

It would make its money back in a year or two if it's really successful, a few years if it's moderately successful. Cats grossed like $2BN on Broadway in a twenty year span. That's $100M per year.

Back
Top Bottom