Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taymor promises that even by next week, audiences will see the fruits of their labors: more flying at the end of the show, much clarifying of the story in the second act, and a new breathtaking Spider web cast by Arachne around Spider Man. “You’re going to see Arachne more as the villain of the second act,” Taymor said. “But we had to wait until Natalie came back.”

now i'm discouraged.

It surprises me to read so many concerns from many of you about this project taking the boys away from the band or an album.

I'm not. It's quite understandable. People on this forum have different priorities than Broadway aficionados, or people in the broadwayworld.com thread. As more of a music fan than a theatre fan, if the potential for disaster if this thing were to sink wasn't so huge, I'd rather they work on an album, too.

This show is a massive undertaking. This show keeps many many people in a job on Broadway. Technicians, front of staff, administrators, actors etc. For the sake of many peoples livelyhood, I certainly hope they DO take more time to improve "Spiderman". If not, it may have a very short life and perhaps it may NEVER open. It is unfinished and still in previews and it needs it composers to complete it and make it better. It need a LOT of work and fine tuning. The fact that the composers are NOT around during previews is actually highly uncommon. Especially for a show in trouble.

I find it ironic that people on Broadway World are commenting on the fact that they have not been around because of the tour and are a bit pissed....I find it ironic the difference of opinions between here and there.

I've been keeping up on the S:TOTD thread in that forum too, and while many are shocked that B & E aren't physically there, some at least do acknowledge that work can be done at a distance, these days. And I'm not sure that they realize that this leg of the tour will be over in a few days, and that B & E will be back in NYC next week.

I'm glad that they've delayed it again. What I find heartening is that many of the things they state they're working on in the article are the same criticisms people in that thread have of the show. Hopefully they'll be able to tighten it up, and pull this thing off.

One thing that jumped out at me in the article is where it was said that they want to "insert[ing] a major final number, which is now in the works." It made me think of Bono's story that JT nixed a song he was convinced is a potential hit. Maybe she should have listened to him.

I'm mostly uninterested in the show, but I don't necessarily think that the delays and extra work are going to take away from their other plans.

Sure, I'd rather they be working on albums, but I'm not worried.

yet. :wink:

One of my college friends is a Broadway actor, and said he saw the show last night. His comments:

"Wow, it was like nothing we've ever seen. ... some of the best and truly creative moments I've seen on stage. Flying is worth the ticket alone. I mean... Wow. But also some of the most baffling moments I've seen. Really liked the music but Bono and the Edge don't seem to know what a "button" is. The audience didn't know when to clap."

I thought it was interesting to hear his take as someone I know in the business.

Bono and Edge aren't the only ones who don't know what a "button" is in musical theater.

Me. I don't know what it is. Never heard of it.

I know! I asked him to explain to us non-theater friends on Facebook. I guess it's something that triggers the audience to start applauding?

Me, I thought that would be "the music stops." That usually signals "applause" to me. But I'm guessing it's more technical than that?

really? we have to use an acronym for spiderman? ugh

Wow. Use of an acronym prompted you to post and complain? Really?

Bono and Edge aren't the only ones who don't know what a "button" is in musical theater.

Me. I don't know what it is. Never heard of it.

Ha, me either. I'm learning all sorts of things. I didn't even know what "book" was, I just assumed they called them scripts/stories.

If the show turns out to be a complete disaster, that can be our silver lining. We improved our musical theater vocab.

Actually, fuck that. This thing has already been a success in my mind, because we got Boy Falls From The Sky out of it, and I think that's one of the best songs this band's written in years.

"Polishing up lyrics" has to involve the recording process. Unless Bono recorded several different lyrical versions. Which sounds quite odd and therefore, I would doubt. So hopefully this would mean only Bono would be needed to come in for rewrites and new vocal takes. Given U2's history, Bono doing vocal takes at the very last minute, if not on the very last day in the studio, actually makes perfect sense. So let's all hope that Spidey doesn't delay new U2 music. I somehow doubt it would ever take precedent.

Everyone else can be done with drums/bass/guitars/keyboards/etc, could be only Bono has to finish up the lyrics/vocals.

Why odd ? Bono has used several versions of lyrics for any given song before.

More comments from my friend, including the definition of "button":

"I'm glad they are going to make some changes. It is ground breaking but need cutting, cleaning, and more heart.

A button is that last beat of a Musical theater song that tells the audience to clap. These songs ended like an album ... Fading off. As a result even when we loved song or moment there was this odd small "can we clap now" thing. We love U2 and there are a lot of U2 bit and references in the show."

Ha. I can see the headline now: "Reeve Carney Booted Off Show."

I still think Taymor, Bono and Edge picked him because of the honesty and passion in his performing, but, as I've written previously, I also wonder if these songs aren't just too "U2-ish" for Reeve. Maybe Bono and Edge can't write anything but U2 songs these days. Maybe they picked Reeve for who he is, without considering whether or not he's right for these particular songs.

Throw maybe an organ, glockenspiel, violin and cello in the pit with Zane and the band, and Reeve might be more at home. I dunno.

Why odd ? Bono has used several versions of lyrics for any given song before.

Oh sure, he's done that. I'm talking about the idea that more recording wouldn't be necessary. If they were in Dublin, Bono could rewrite new sets of lyrics every day for months. But this is talking like Bono is cobbling together lyrics from previously recorded vocals. That wouldn't be needed in previous studio sessions because he'd be right there and could write/record as much as he pleased, right on the spot. I just don't understand the idea of doing it where he would pick and choose (take that couplet and leave the other out!) sort of thing. Seems like Bono is a more 'complete' lyricist than that. Sure he rewrites here and there, constantly. But this sounds kind of...like I said, odd. Almost arbitrary. Almost as if the lyrical idea might take precedent over the actual vocal take...come to think of it...maybe that explains a few things. :wink:

Oh sure, he's done that. I'm talking about the idea that more recording wouldn't be necessary. If they were in Dublin, Bono could rewrite new sets of lyrics every day for months. But this is talking like Bono is cobbling together lyrics from previously recorded vocals. That wouldn't be needed in previous studio sessions because he'd be right there and could write/record as much as he pleased, right on the spot. I just don't understand the idea of doing it where he would pick and choose (take that couplet and leave the other out!) sort of thing. Seems like Bono is a more 'complete' lyricist than that. Sure he rewrites here and there, constantly. But this sounds kind of...like I said, odd. Almost arbitrary. Almost as if the lyrical idea might take precedent over the actual vocal take...come to think of it...maybe that explains a few things. :wink:

Given he has a laptop, he can rewrite and add lyrics all the time. They were recording during the European leg, maybe even during the break and during the Australian leg. He likely has a dictaphone or some sort of technology to record a vocal quickly; it doesn't have to be a formal studio place.

Given he has a laptop, he can rewrite and add lyrics all the time. They were recording during the European leg, maybe even during the break and during the Australian leg. He likely has a dictaphone or some sort of technology to record a vocal quickly; it doesn't have to be a formal studio place.

That and it's not like he's in Timbuktu, he'll be in NYC. I'm sure there is some studio space in that city if anything needs to be laid down.

They were said to be basically at the mixing phase in November, and all the band-members have homes in NYC... I don't see this as a big problem. After all, the show is scheduled to premiere in February, though yes I know that is obviously not set in stone :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom