Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i saw the big spider guy thing last night...

there were no stoppages... they looked like they were fixing something during intermission, but aside from that everything went off without a hitch. i was up in the balcony right on the row, which was cool 'cause spidey would fly his ass up there from time to time, and would even run up the aisle after landing on his balcony a few times. i tried high fiving him the second time, but to no avail.

as for the show... the flying and visuals are excellent. the music is mostly good (bullying by numbers is some kinda bad). definitely heard some bono-isms in there... one of the songs had a recurring line about "vision over viability", which by my count is the third time bono's used that phrase, including moment of surrender and the little reworking of keep on rockin' in a free world they did with pearl jam.

the storyline? meh... confusing at parts. without getting into specifics, i think the arachne plot line is a confusing mess, and needs to be completely rewritten.

if it were up to me, i'd dump the entire arachne story angle and expand on the green goblin, which was much more entertaining.

i tried high fiving him the second time, but to no avail.

Everyone knows he's more of a fist bump guy...

rl_obamaspidey-300x248.jpg

ok so i saw the big spider guy thing last night...

there were no stoppages... they looked like they were fixing something during intermission, but aside from that everything went off without a hitch. i was up in the balcony right on the row, which was cool 'cause spidey would fly his ass up there from time to time, and would even run up the aisle after landing on his balcony a few times. i tried high fiving him the second time, but to no avail.

as for the show... the flying and visuals are excellent. the music is mostly good (bullying by numbers is some kinda bad). definitely heard some bono-isms in there... one of the songs had a recurring line about "vision over viability", which by my count is the third time bono's used that phrase, including moment of surrender and the little reworking of keep on rockin' in a free world they did with pearl jam.

the storyline? meh... confusing at parts. without getting into specifics, i think the arachne plot line is a confusing mess, and needs to be completely rewritten.

if it were up to me, i'd dump the entire arachne story angle and expand on the green goblin, which was much more entertaining.

is it worth seeing? we usually do some kind of big gay broadway weekend in NYC each year, should we put this show on our list?

Thanks headache for the review.....I keep hearing over and over the same things that you just mentioned. Bullying by numbers is odd and musically kind of bad and archanne is boring.

Was the second act truly a hot mess?

Irvine511 said:
is it worth seeing? we usually do some kind of big gay broadway weekend in NYC each year, should we put this show on our list?

Im not going to say no, but im not going to say yes either. I think it has the potential to be very good, as as they're willing to make a few major changes to the script.

Billy joe armstrong will be playing st. Jimmy in american idiot throughout january and february ... id start there.

dstalksalot said:
Thanks headache for the review.....I keep hearing over and over the same things that you just mentioned. Bullying by numbers is odd and musically kind of bad and archanne is boring.

Was the second act truly a hot mess?

Some of the best parts were in the second act. Those parts didn't involve arachne. The parts that did involve arachne... yea. Hot mess fits.

Im not going to say no, but im not going to say yes either. I think it has the potential to be very good, as as they're willing to make a few major changes to the script.

Billy joe armstrong will be playing st. Jimmy in american idiot throughout january and february ... id start there.

Billy Joe should be in Spiderman?

Compared to other musicals you've seen, how would you rank the songs? You tend to be fairly unbiased when it comes to U2, so I really dig your opinion, fo sho

cheers for that Headache! good to read!

would you buy a cd of the soundtrack? did the music blow you away at all? how would you rate it against other U2 music? does it live up to expectations do you think?

i'm dying to hear the songs, would like to see the show too, but that's highly unlikely being over in Europe...

For those seeing the musical...is the music comparable to any of the U2 albums ?

Or is it something completely different ?

I saw the preview last Wednesday Dec. 8. It was the first showing without any technical problems (at least as far as I could discern) It is not worth 65 million but I thought it was well worth the $67.50 I paid for a ticket. Yes, it does need to be tightened up in a few areas to keep the emotional connection going. I thought most of the music was pretty good. Of course Bono can sing the main songs with more emotion then Carney, but Bono isn't going to Broadway for 5 years so we take second best. I recorded all the songs in pretty good quality, so once I find the time I will post a link.

There are a lot of very u2y songs in there... a few odd rap songs... an awful song about shoes... an equally bad bullying by numbers... some beautiful non u2 like ballads.

Turn off the dark is a great song... too bad its sung by arachne.

I don't know if the music fits any specific u2 album, but I would say that it fits in with their work in the 2000s.

I think the play could be phenomenal if they just changed a few things, but some of those things are parts of major plotlines, especially in act 2.

They would benefit from delaying the official open and doing a rewrite of a few scenes, but I doubt they'd do that because of the costs and how much things are already being mocked.

The green goblin is terrific. They should focus more on him.

I actually kinda like the chorus of the Bullying By Numbers song. Bouncing off the Walls and Pull the trigger were awesome in my opinion. I'm going to agree with the majority of the crowd here. First half was awesome with all the flying around. I had chills. The lyrics had bono ALL over them. The second half was a hot steaming dump. I was bored and it was hard to leave the theater with a positive review. Arachne was an insult to Spidey fans and U2 fans alike. Absolute crap. I mean...really... they stole a bunch of shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom