Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to hear that this thing is finally falling together. At this rate of improvement, the show's going to be awesome in six weeks.

I just got back from the third preview of Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark. There was only one major delay which happened in the first act. It was a five to ten minute delay when Spider-Man first flys up to the balcony of the theatre. Visually the musical is stunning. There is more flying in the first act and the video screens are used extensively in the second act. Songs that stood out were:

Bullying by Numbers
Bouncing off the Walls (I believe it was this song where the verses reminded me of the verses of Where Did It All Go Wrong?)
Rise Above
Picture This
Spider-Man Rising
Turn Off The Dark (a very slow number sung by Arachne)
Boy Falls From The Sky

The song where Arachne sings about shoes wasn't that bad. I think someone said it reminded them of GOYB but I didn't get that impression. It would be interesting to hear the other song Bono mentioned that was replaced called "A Freak Like Me".

Finally some real info. :up:

I just checked out Broadway world and there is another injury in the cast...

SPIDER-MAN Injury Update; Mendoza Concussion Was Received During First Preview; Equity Investigating 2010/12/03

People on the forums over there are pissed.....It seems like most of the venom is being thrown Julies way.They see her genious, but kind of hate her.... lots of comments about the show being dangerous. Many comments about how it could be a great show, but they feel Julie is not the type of director to give up her vision for the greater good of the show and the cast. They are also concerned that Bono and Edge and touring and will not be around to assist in musical rewrites during this pivital time in the show....

I am gathering, the music score just need some tweaking and a little fleshing out.

Though we couldn't understand the verses, I quite like "Rise Above", :up:.

bit disturbing the male vocals are so unintelligible, but the girl's vocals seem much clearer and sound lovely... despite the dodgy bootleg quality

SPIDER-MAN Injury Update; Mendoza Concussion Was Received During First Preview; Equity Investigating 2010/12/03

People on the forums over there are pissed.....It seems like most of the venom is being thrown Julies way.They see her genious, but kind of hate her.... lots of comments about the show being dangerous. Many comments about how it could be a great show, but they feel Julie is not the type of director to give up her vision for the greater good of the show and the cast. They are also concerned that Bono and Edge and touring and will not be around to assist in musical rewrites during this pivital time in the show....

I am gathering, the music score just need some tweaking and a little fleshing out.

that doesn't sound good at all from a safety perspective...

is there a musical director for the show, aside from Bono and Edge's involvement, who can have a say music-wise?? have to say i was a little taken aback with the footage of Bono and Edge sitting in on rehearsals and working with the cast - some of it came across a little bit "Bill and Ted" to me, i'm sorry to say! (Julie says it needs fleshing out, Edge says: "how about a duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh bit?" Bono: "yeah! wow!" and everyone claps :eyebrow: - i might be exaggerating a bit but that was the general picture)

have to say, both Mendoza and her understudy have amazing CVs lol!

honestly just cancel it already then so i can get my money back and spend it on american idiot instead.

that doesn't sound good at all from a safety perspective...

is there a musical director for the show, aside from Bono and Edge's involvement, who can have a say music-wise?? have to say i was a little taken aback with the footage of Bono and Edge sitting in on rehearsals and working with the cast - some of it came across a little bit "Bill and Ted" to me, i'm sorry to say! (Julie says it needs fleshing out, Edge says: "how about a duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh bit?" Bono: "yeah! wow!" and everyone claps :eyebrow: - i might be exaggerating a bit but that was the general picture)

have to say, both Mendoza and her understudy have amazing CVs lol!

Yes, they should bring in a vocal and instrumental arranger or something...and about that part in 60 minutes, I was just rewatching it and I was pondering when Bono was singing with that actress. It came across as if he did not even notice that she was singing with him. Perhaps it was the way it was recorded and edited. Listening though was breathtaking. It really reminds me how special each part of U2 is.

I'm sure they have a music director on such a large production and have probably employed several people to work on arrangements over the years.

What it sounds like they need is a script (or 'book' in Broadwayese) doctor ASAP to sort out the second act.

I just got back from the third preview of Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark. There was only one major delay which happened in the first act. It was a five to ten minute delay when Spider-Man first flys up to the balcony of the theatre. Visually the musical is stunning. There is more flying in the first act and the video screens are used extensively in the second act. Songs that stood out were:

Bullying by Numbers
Bouncing off the Walls (I believe it was this song where the verses reminded me of the verses of Where Did It All Go Wrong?)
Rise Above
Picture This
Spider-Man Rising
Turn Off The Dark (a very slow number sung by Arachne)
Boy Falls From The Sky

The song where Arachne sings about shoes wasn't that bad. I think someone said it reminded them of GOYB but I didn't get that impression. It would be interesting to hear the other song Bono mentioned that was replaced called "A Freak Like Me".

Thanks for the review! But I'm curious, which of these songs is the one that Bono sang with the girl on 60 minutes? Supposedly a duet between Peter Parker and Mary Jane? Somy lyric snips: "Every day is like a war and I'm losing it...I go to sleep in my clothes...but the shoes don't fit....Anyone but me"

LOVE that song.

Thanks for the review! But I'm curious, which of these songs is the one that Bono sang with the girl on 60 minutes? Supposedly a duet between Peter Parker and Mary Jane? Somy lyric snips: "Every day is like a war and I'm losing it...I go to sleep in my clothes...but the shoes don't fit....Anyone but me"

LOVE that song.

I think a blog post from an @U2 staffer said it was called "No More".
Though I'm not sure since T.V. Carpio and Bono did the duet on 60 Minutes. Mary Jane is played by Jennifer Damiano, so I'm a bit confused.
The other two songs 60 Minutes spotlighted were “Boy Falls From the Sky” and the duet “No More,” where Mary Jane laments living with her abusive, alcoholic father and Peter shares his frustration about not being understood by his aunt and uncle.

Source: http://www.atu2blog.com/spider-man-hangover-monday-morning-thoughts/3943/

Personally, I think this could be the song called "Anywhere But Here" based on Carpio's vocals for the song but I suppose those who've been to the show know it better than me.
In it, nerdy Peter Parker's glasses are broken by bullies outside his high school (the fictional Queens High School). On his walk home he sings the mournful "Anywhere But Here" and joins up with Mary Jane, his neighbor and crush. They trudge along on a circular conveyor belt built into the stage.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11810070&page=2

LOVE that song.

I forgot to add that song to my list. It is called "No More" and is towards the beginning of the first act.

The best seats to see the show would be the flying circle. I was last row in the balcony towards the center. It wasn't a bad view of the show but when they have the flying sequences you miss some of the action that goes on in front of the flying circle section. It's only for a few seconds though. Arachne has a flying seqence that starts from the balcony though.

I went to see the show last night and, judging by previous reports, they are definitely making progress on the show. Last night had just one stop for a little under three minutes about 45 mins. into the first half, not sure why because nobody was stuck dangling at the time. Spidey (the flying one, not Reeve) was funny during the stop, did a little shuffle dance. :lol: The flying looked fairly controlled too, no apparent mishaps. It was very cool being up in the first row of the first balcony because Spidey landed on a platform there a few times, and Arachne launched from the same platform.

The songs lyrically have Bono written all over them, although the music, with the exception of 3 or so songs, are a lot more Broadway than U2. Still, you can hear the characteristic Edgeguitar in a couple of them (Zane Carney is playing a guitar very similar to one Edge has played a lot). With some exceptions though, I'm not sure the music is overall very distinguished. The plot is standard Spider-Man stuff. Second act could use some tightening, maybe fleshing out the connection between Arachne and the Green Goblin, and then the end part where Arachne was demanding one thing and when she got it let the other thing happen, would make it seem clearer and less rushed. However, the show did keep me and the rest of the audience very engaged thanks to the fantastic sets and effects, the video stuff was great.

And pssst...I got the whole show, it's not five-star quality but quite listenable......

From the NY Times:

With Great Satire Comes Great Publicity: 'S.N.L.' Sends Up the 'Spider-Man' Musical

By DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: December 4, 2010
11:38 a.m. | Updated
If mockery is its own form of currency, "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" should be rolling in it by now. "Saturday Night Live" has now joined the chorus of comedy programs poking fun at this beleaguered Broadway musical, with a "Weekend Update" skit from Saturday's broadcast in which Andy Samberg plays the latest in a long, "Spinal Tap"-esque line of actors who have encountered some physical challenges when trying to portray the titular wall-crawler.
Still, things could always be tougher. As Mr. Samberg's character informs Seth Meyers, "You know how many people die every year doing 'Jersey Boys'?"
Update: Rick Miramontez, a press representative for "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark," said in an email that the musical's production team has been sending floral bouquets to the comedy shows that have been spoofing "Spider-Man." (A note that accompanied flowers sent to the "Conan" crew read: "We wanted to thank you for your tribute to our show, but we couldn't decide what to send. We hope you enjoy the flowers - it was cheaper than a cease and desist.")
Mr. Miramontez wrote, "The flowers that Conan received were sent with affection and admiration. They were expensive! If the Spider-Man company sends Seth and the 'S.N.L.' team a floral tribute, it might even be bigger!"

A note that accompanied flowers sent to the "Conan" crew read: "We wanted to thank you for your tribute to our show, but we couldn't decide what to send. We hope you enjoy the flowers - it was cheaper than a cease and desist."

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom