Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....and maybe she's just really excited to be working with Bono and The Edge and this is her way of expressing it, but i think it reflects badly on U2 and their songs - i can feel the eye-rolls from the non-U2-fans in the audience already lol :wink:

This.:up:

I wonder if one of the reasons why this project is so of control (to some extent) has to do with the creative team not being able to say no to each other. They like each other TOO much and they are not subjective enough. From what I understand Taymore is notorious for genius, huge vision, huge budgets, and a huge head.

What makes you think or fear that it was something they weren't passionate about? Were you not impressed from what you've heard so far?

Bono is notorious for being pulled in many directions, but I wonder if they spent enough time and care with the little nuances of a musical theatre score and worked enough with the book/script. Bono mentioned the score came to them rather quickly. Because of all the music/book/script complaints, I wonder if that part of the process was not rushed a little more than it should have been.

But, I really hope that I LOVE it!

Bono is notorious for being pulled in many directions, but I wonder if they spent enough time and care with the little nuances of a musical theatre score and worked enough with the book/script. Bono mentioned the score came to them rather quickly. Because of all the music/book/script complaints, I wonder if that part of the process was not rushed a little more than it should have been.

But, I really hope that I LOVE it!

When did Bono mention that the score came quickly? They've been working on it for years...

I think anyone who thinks these nods reflect badly on U2 in anyway either don't believe the Broadway audience has a sense of humour or they themselves don't have a sense of humour. First of all many won't get the subtle ones like The Fly, but having Vertigo play is funny, it's tongue in cheek and it definitely fits well into Spiderman which has always had a campy tongue in cheek reference humour to it.

I think anyone who thinks these nods reflect badly on U2 in anyway either don't believe the Broadway audience has a sense of humour or they themselves don't have a sense of humour. First of all many won't get the subtle ones like The Fly, but having Vertigo play is funny, it's tongue in cheek and it definitely fits well into Spiderman which has always had a campy tongue in cheek reference humour to it.

oh i have a sense of humour alright but i just don't find that funny lol!!!

i'm just not the kind of girl who goes "ooh U2 reference ooh LOLOLOLOL!111!!!!" but i do find many other things funny i promise :D

This.:up:

I wonder if one of the reasons why this project is so of control (to some extent) has to do with the creative team not being able to say no to each other. They like each other TOO much and they are not subjective enough. From what I understand Taymore is notorious for genius, huge vision, huge budgets, and a huge head.

that's exactly what i was thinking, re. someone really ought to dare to tell them "NO!" sometimes haha

When did Bono mention that the score came quickly? They've been working on it for years...

I believe he discussed the ease of creating the score in the 60 minutes piece...BUT I have been reading and watching so much on this in the last few days it could have been some place else.....

Because so many people have been complaining that the score is muddled and the book is confusing, I think I am just wondering what happened.

I wonder if one of the reasons why this project is so of control (to some extent) has to do with the creative team not being able to say no to each other.

Sounds to me like Taymor is a control freak (and rightly so, I probably would be too if it were my name on the line), and there is a story that's been in the media recently about her and Bono disagreeing about a song. Bono thought it would be a hit, she didn't think it fit, and so the song was gone. She obviously has no problem overruling him.

Because so many people have been complaining that the score is muddled and the book is confusing, I think I am just wondering what happened.

One of the things I've consistently heard is that the lyrics in many places weren't understandable the other night, they were sung in a way that at least some of the audience couldn't make them out. I know very, very little about musical theatre, but surely this isn't acceptable?

Another thing I read is that they were supposed to have their first full dress rehearsal on Saturday night, but it was cancelled, so the preview show became the first dress rehearsal. Does this sound accurate? If so, no wonder the other night was a mess.

"A Freak Like Me Needs Company" gets cut, and yet they have a song for the 8-legged woman to sing about her shoes... surely they need to cut that.

purpleoscar said:
larry_56207a.jpg

Don't laugh Larry! Don't laugh!

Ok! This is brilliant.

I knew this whole thing was a bad idea. :doh:

At least now we (likely) won't have to put up with a drunk Bono at the Tony Awards saying he wants to claim the mantle of the greatest songwriter of all time...:wink:

But seriously, it really, really, really, really is perfectly fine that Broadway snobs, who like cheeky cornball couplets delivered in a stilted vibrato, wouldn't dig the music.

Maybe they just need to gay it up more.
YouTube - SPIDERMAN PARODY MTV MOVIE AWARDS

I caught a bit of this on TV and then went online to see the full story.

"60 Minutes" did a great job almost promoting the play. The theatrics behind the flying and dance were great. But what I enjoyed most was hearing Bono actually singing in the songs. As others have noted in this thread, after hearing Bono sing the song, then the actor, it was - and I'm sorry to say this - a let down. One reason for U2's success is Bono's voice. It has a great tone and he gives each song such passion. In contrast, the actor sang through the song as if he was reciting "Mary Had a Little Lamb". There was no passion, no power. And that worried me. If Bono in rehearsal mode sounds that much better than the actor, how good will this play be.

Other posts state that perhaps U2 only wrote one song. Not sure if that's completely accurate, but if so, then I'm puzzled why they were so heavily involved.

Sorry, I have a hard time believing Broadways's best talent is to blame for the songs not working in this show. Sorry but don't blame the talent.....

Actually, based on only the "60 Minutes" piece, I would say the talent IS to blame. Also, the actor playing Peter is not "Broadway's best". He's in a band and was basically chosen for the part - but I don't think he's considered amongst the "elite". Furthermore, I will also say that even a great singer might be wrong for a given song. For example, I think Mary Blige is a great singer, but I abhored what she did to "One" - even with U2's blessing.

The odd thing about what I wrote, though, is that in the "60 Minutes" clip, Bono and the band and the other singers all sounded great. So I'm not sure where these "boring songs" are from. Maybe U2 tried to write a few slow numbers and they aren't clicking?

Once they work out the glitches, Reeve will have an opportunity to shine and I think he'll get some great notices. I've seen him and his band perform many times over the last eight or so years in small clubs, and larger venues as well. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's a charismatic, raw and passionate performer. Maybe Bono/Edge's songs don't suit him perfectly, but there is no doubt in my mind that he will shine on that stage.

I hope this is true. As I wrote above, I'm not impressed so far.

Unfortunately for Spiderman, Broadway is taking a beating. I just read that three news shows will be closing prematurely. Hopefully, this one breaks the trend.

On a more positive note, I saw Jennifer Damiano, Mary Jane, in Next to Normal and she was awesome. I'm not sure if anyone on the forum has seen the show with her, but I know some Broadway fans that like her, which is in Spiderman's favor.

Other posts state that perhaps U2 only wrote one song. Not sure if that's completely accurate, but if so, then I'm puzzled why they were so heavily involved.

It's my understanding that U2 only wrote one song - Boy Falls From the Sky.

Bono and the Edge wrote the others. U2 wasn't heavily involved; Bono and Edge were.

One of the things I've consistently heard is that the lyrics in many places weren't understandable the other night, they were sung in a way that at least some of the audience couldn't make them out. I know very, very little about musical theatre, but surely this isn't acceptable?

No this is not acceptable. Wondering if this is a singing issue (maybe they are not confident in lyrics or vocals) or if it is a sound issue????

Another thing I read is that they were supposed to have their first full dress rehearsal on Saturday night, but it was cancelled, so the preview show became the first dress rehearsal. Does this sound accurate? If so, no wonder the other night was a mess.

I heard that too.....Previews are suppose to basically be advanced dress rehearsals. Light clean up and minor changes are usually done unless the show needs a lot of help.... I believe they have not yet run the show without stopping.

Some issues are always expected in previews, but to have a paid audience at this stage in rehearsals is not the norm. The theatre forums were discussing this issue quite a bit.

Did you get the impression that the people complaining during the delays (or after the show) were not aware that "preview" can mean "rehearsal"?

Or were these seasoned theater-goers who have been to previews before, and this show just had an unacceptable level of them?

I found it weird to hear of so many complaints when it was basically a rehearsal.

It's my understanding that U2 only wrote one song - Boy Falls From the Sky.

Bono and the Edge wrote the others. U2 wasn't heavily involved; Bono and Edge were.

I may have written U2, but I meant Bono/Edge. It's great if all of U2 were involved in one song, but I'm worried that the other songs were by Bono/Edge but still aren't considered that strong. Edge often gives life to Bono's more emotional lyrics and if that isn't working then... :uhoh:

Some issues are always expected in previews, but to have a paid audience at this stage in rehearsals is not the norm. The theatre forums were discussing this issue quite a bit.

Actually, having a paid audience in a dress rehearsal, even for local theater, is common. And the director will often warn the audience that he/she may stop a show to make corrections. Ticket prices are often substantially cheaper to compensate.

Actually, having a paid audience in a dress rehearsal, even for local theater, is common. And the director will often warn the audience that he/she may stop a show to make corrections. Ticket prices are often substantially cheaper to compensate.

Yes a director does give a curtain speech for a final dress rehearsal, and some times they have a paid audience.( We do this at the theatre I work for at the lower equity level) But not for a tech rehearsal....The cast and crew need to be able to pretty much run a clean show before a paid audience is let in....hickups happen yes, but not to the extent that happened on Sunday night…..

It's kind of annoying reading so many comments by people wanting to see the musical fail :no: Like Taymor (I think it was her) said, many people's salaries are based on whether or not this show is a success... so wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest if the show, you know, succeeded? And how often on Broadway, in a recession no less, are gambles of this magnitude taken? I guarantee there will be a lot more exciting musicals hitting the theater if people flocked to see Spider-Man.
Alternatively, the show clearly needs time to work out the kinks, but if there are irreversible problems that need be rectified prior to opening night (story, music), then obviously I wouldn't expect people to shell out their hard-earned cash on an unsatisfying experience. The show may end up being a complete disaster that doesn't deserve an audience, but I don't understand the logic in hoping for that outcome :shrug:

But what gets me is that one of the reasons people want to see the show fail is because of Bono's involvement :huh: How and when did this individual become the focal point of universal derision? Judging from all this hate, I'm seriously surprised the guy hasn't been shot yet :| I know that's an awful thing to say, but... srsly. People need to chill the :censored: out when it comes to Bono. I honestly can't think of any celebrity that gets me worked up as some do regarding Bono (sure, I may have a low opinion of Paris Hilton, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, etc., but my feelings will never amount to anything more than a "dislike" option on facebook).

bleh, tangent, I know, blah blah blah... :drunk:

Sorry, I want to go off on a tangent too because I fully agree with you! :applaud:

Why does ANYONE get upset with Bono? He's not asking people for their money or their jobs. Rather, he's asking people to encourage their governments to forgive debt and help set up trade. It seems people would rather see their money spent on wars than on helping people.

Even those who should know better, do not. DATA is Bono's creation and it's about AIDS relief, debt forgiveness and TRADE! That last item is important. Bono isn't asking for governments to grant more loans or just give money. Rather, he wants to help these countries become self-sufficient.

Does he preach in concert? Yeah, but so do a LOT of other entertainers. And I would tell you that I would have never heard of some of the atrocities occurring on this planet if it weren't for U2.

But it seems people want him to be an entertainer and ONLY an entertainer. How dare Bono think?! He has the audacity to do something more with his life than just write and perform songs! Is this what upsets people - than an "entertainer" couldn't possibly know so much? Yet, people are flocking to Sarah Palin as if she's the second coming of Einstein. The world's must stupid political figure is suddenly an inspiration?

If someone hates U2, fine. I dislike a lot of bands. But to not even given U2 or anyone or anything related to U2 because you don't like Bono's activities, suggests narrow-mindedness and overall lack of intelligence.

Yes a director does give a curtain speech for a final dress rehearsal, and some times they have a paid audience.( We do this at the theatre I work for at the lower equity level) But not for a tech rehearsal....The cast and crew need to be able to pretty much run a clean show before a paid audience is let in....hickups happen yes, but not to the extent that happened on Sunday night…..

I'm not that experienced in theater, but often a dress rehearsal isn't screened for anyone while a tech rehearsal will have an audience. This may change depending on the theater. The play I did in '09 (and I was more of a stage-hand) was like this. And the director usually let the play go - mistakes and all - with one exception. However, if one were to judge by the mistakes (in our case, falling props that people bumped into), then it would be bad. ;)

Did you get the impression that the people complaining during the delays (or after the show) were not aware that "preview" can mean "rehearsal"?

Or were these seasoned theater-goers who have been to previews before, and this show just had an unacceptable level of them?

I found it weird to hear of so many complaints when it was basically a rehearsal.

From what I was reading on the theatre forum, much of the audience was seasoned theatre goers and tehatre reporters....with a few confused U2 fans and Spidey fans thrown in :wave:

I'm not that experienced in theater, but often a dress rehearsal isn't screened for anyone while a tech rehearsal will have an audience. This may change depending on the theater. The play I did in '09 (and I was more of a stage-hand) was like this. And the director usually let the play go - mistakes and all - with one exception. However, if one were to judge by the mistakes (in our case, falling props that people bumped into), then it would be bad. ;)

Are you confusing the tech rehearsals with dress?

You can check playbill.com for detailed info, but usually the tech rehearsals are the long and drawn out 6 hour run through rehearsals with lots of stops for the technicians. Dress rehearsals are more coherent and together rehearsals. Preview rehearsals are usually the step after dress rehearsals with a paid audience but before the official opening when all of the paper reviewers come and write about the show….for Spiderman, this is a mute point because everyone is already writing about it.

With Community Theatre, it is much the same, but without previews. The final dress is usually the preview. At the theatre I work at our cast music/dance and blocking rehearsals are about 6 weeks. Set load in is one day, tech rehearsals about 2 or 3 very long days. We have about 3 dress rehearsals and 1 final dress/preview and then opening night.

Too much info probably but thought I would share…….

american idiot was nominated for three tony's, including musical of the year. won for best lighting and best scenery. it's been very successful.

:wave: Not that it's being discussed here anymore, but just thought I'd throw it out there for those who might be considering seeing this show: Billie Joe Armstrong will be joining the cast as St. Jimmy again for 50 more performances beginning Jan 1 through Feb. 27, 2011. If you want the specific performances they are listed here:

Billie Joe Armstrong returns to the cast of American Idiot for 50 performances only as St. Jimmy, starting January 1, 2011 through February 27, 2011.

See list below for specific dates:

January 1 – 2 - Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm & 7:30pm
January 4 – 9 - Tuesday @ 7pm, Wednesday - Friday @ 8pm, Wednesday @ 2pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm
January 18 – 30 - Tuesday @ 7pm, Wednesday - Friday @ 8pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm & 7:30pm
February 10 – 13 - Thursday - Friday @ 8pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm & 7:30pm
February 15 – 27 - Tuesday @ 7pm, Wednesday - Friday @ 8pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 3pm & 7:30pm

Please note that Billie Joe Armstrong will not appear as St. Jimmy from January 11 to January 16 and from February 1 to February 9.

For more information please visit American Idiot – Billie Joe Armstrong returns to the cast as St. Jimmy for 50 performances only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom