Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Spider-Man... The Opera?

On the front page of @U2 is this minor blurb...

"While speaking at the Mortage Bankers Association annual convention in Boston, Massachusetts today, Bono gave an update or two about his general hyperactivity with projects. He said that once his speaking engagements in America conclude that he'll be focusing all his energy on the recording of the next U2 album. He is aware that his activism is once again impacting recording studio time, but he wanted to reassure people the next album will be released in 2008.

He also said that he and Edge were working on Spiderman: The Opera with Julie Taymor. (Not sure why the change from a musical to an opera - guess time will tell). Check out the @U2 blog and our upcoming podcast for coverage from his speaking engagement today."

damn, we're really slow for news these days. Anyhoo, I am, for one, actually really excited about this project. People always scream for something new and different from U2, weeeeeell, having Bono and The Edge creating a musical is definitely up there. And just because the musical happens to be SPIDER-MAN, why does that have to equate to "bad"? IMO, "The Lion King," Julie Taymor's previous outing as a staged musical director, was quite good.

I just hope he does indeed spend more time in the studio for this album.

While we read stories about how much nicer it is without Bono around all the time, I really think he's the most creative force in U2. Larry being the most conservative.

Some might say the Edge because of his guitar sounds, but I feel it's Bono who really pushes everyone into different soundscapes and genres.

This time next year we better be talking about the upcoming release!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311059,00.html

Roger Friedman FOX News Tues Nov 13th

U2 Plans Spider-Man Musical and New Album

"U2 has two big projects for the coming year — a new album and a Broadway musical of "Spider-Man" directed by "The Lion King" guru Julie Taymor.

At last week’s Broadway premiere of "Young Frankenstein," sharp-eyed observers noticed U2’s own guru, manager Paul McGuinness, scoping out the Hilton Theater on 42nd Street with an eye toward putting "Spider-Man" in there. The show requires a very high ceiling stage for all the flying that will go on.

Alas, McGuinness is said to have commented, "I guess we’re out of luck" when he saw how successful "Young Frankenstein" is going to be.

For one, it’s in one of the few theaters unaffected by the stagehands strike crippling Broadway. "Young Frankenstein" is packing audiences in while most other big musicals are shut down.

U2, according to insiders, has already written 20 songs for "Spider-Man." The show will be all original, with none of the group’s prior hits scheduled for inclusion.

At the same time, the group is getting ready to record an album that will hit stores before the end of 2008, they say. There may be one song in common between both albums, but that’s it. And that’s a lot of new material in one year.

I hope Taymor and the group will not forget to include the famous "Spider-Man" theme song from the cartoon show. It’s been used wittily in all the new Tobey Maguire movies. You simply cannot have "Spider-Man" without that number to whistle on the way out."

you said it...

MrsSpringsteen said:

U2, according to insiders, has already written 20 songs for "Spider-Man." The show will be all original, with none of the group’s prior hits scheduled for inclusion.

At the same time, the group is getting ready to record an album that will hit stores before the end of 2008, they say. There may be one song in common between both albums, but that’s it. And that’s a lot of new material in one year.

Man, does this mean Passengers II = Spider Man? :huh:

me no like...

elevated_u2_fan said:
you said it...

Man, does this mean Passengers II = Spider Man? :huh:

me no like...

Seriously doubt it. No has mentioned that Lanois or Eno would be participating(or all of U2 for that matter) in Spider-Man, also the clips we got don't sound Opera like at all.

Certainly not, these are separate projects. Also, Spiderman is not a U2 project, but a Bono and Edge thing. They actually started to work on it, before director Julie Taymor came on board. It's said to be finished, they are already looking for a theatre to play it. Will be interesting how this turns out.

On the one hand, my favourite band is making music for an opera/musical about my favourite superhero.

Then again, this idea also sounds vaguely terrible. Should we be worried?

One of the Spider-Man songs is called "Rise Above"...is it a reworking of the track "Rise Up" from the JT release?

Is this the first time we have ever had rumors of an album that is to come out after one that we don't even know the name for yet?

If there is any truth to this at all, it definitely indicates a more experimental U2 may be about to unleash itself on us.

That whole article is truth. And surely, there will be a Spider-Man soundtrack release. There's no way they aren't going to milk guaranteed millions from a new Bono/Edge project. I doubt U2 will record any of those songs as a unit and release them under the U2 banner because they're all about Spidey, BUT I wouldn't be shocked to hear a few on the next tour.

Wow, i am very excited about this. Once we all get used to The-as-of-yet-unnamed-New-Album, we have another to familiarize ourselves with. :hyper:

EDIT: I was also thinking, it was mentioned that the songs to be on the Spidey album would be reworked. Maybe the lyrics would be reworked to be less Spiderman oriented and more like traditional U2 songs.

Awesome! I'm still a little hesitant about songs about webslinging, but I like the idea of retooling them into U2 format. I think that any alterations will primarily be in the music itself and not the lyrics, though there may be some lyrical tweaks here and there. Just my guess. If the musical isn't set to come out until October of 2009, I wouldn't expect the U2-ified album until late 2009 or 2010.

this is very cool. one of the song titles mentioned in the article, "Boy Falling From the Sky," makes me think this might have something to do with one of the 2006 beach clips (402). i recall bono singing something like "a boy...falls...from...the...sky"

this is very cool. one of the song titles mentioned in the article, "Boy Falling From the Sky," makes me think this might have something to do with one of the 2006 beach clips (402). i recall bono singing something like "a boy...falls...from...the...sky"

Dude. :ohmy:

Amazing that you never hear of the 18 songs that have been written. When does this get done? lol

That whole article is truth. And surely, there will be a Spider-Man soundtrack release. There's no way they aren't going to milk guaranteed millions from a new Bono/Edge project. I doubt U2 will record any of those songs as a unit and release them under the U2 banner because they're all about Spidey, BUT I wouldn't be shocked to hear a few on the next tour.

the soundtrack for Clockwork Orange was not released.

Amazing that you never hear of the 18 songs that have been written. When does this get done? lol

It's been done pretty much except as they said for incidental linking music which would pretty much have to wait for the fine tuning of the production. Bono and Edge have been working on this since 2005. The 18 songs have been completed ages ago. When Taymor was doing interviews for Across the Universe she mentioned several times that they had written the music. A workshop reading was done last summer where the songs were performed and dry read through of the play was done. This news has been coming out in dribs and drabs for three years now. This is however the most detail that has been contained in one article up to this point.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom