Spiderman News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the front page of @U2 is this minor blurb...

"While speaking at the Mortage Bankers Association annual convention in Boston, Massachusetts today, Bono..."

he should've said "you're going DOWN! you're going DOWN! you're going DOWN! you're going DOWN!" :D

I think that it's likely to be visually & musically impressive. The two obstacles it faces are: 1). How corny it is----it needs to surpass the huge cheese factor of being "Spider-Man: The Musical," and 2). The economy----with that massive budget, if it stays in the red for too long, it'll be billed as a failure no matter how good the show itself is.

I don't doubt that the music itself will be cool, and I hope that U2 fulfill the rumor that there will be both a cast soundtrack and a U2 version of the soundtrack released. :drool:

It's a hell of a risk. I would think that that would put alot of pressure on them. I would feel it. 'Cause no matter what kind of extravagant punk rock-opera circus you put on, the damn material has got to be really good.

So apparently it seems most people on this forum are against U2 being involved with the Spider-Man musical... why? First of all, it's not U2 - it's Bono and the Edge. I honestly don't see how them taking part in this show is any different than them writing a song for "GoldenEye" or Adam and Larry retooling the theme for "Mission: Impossible."

Also, did anyone HONESTLY think The Lion King was going to be good? I expected massive fail on an epic scale... but then I actually saw the production and was blown away. 'Twas quite the spectacle (perfect for a big-budgeted Broadway production) and the new songs made for a more coherent narrative. This was all based on an animated Disney feature (which was, must be mentioned, also loosely based on Hamlet). Maybe because I am a fan of the comics, but I can really see some interesting themes being developed with this Spider-Man - coming of age, loss of innocence, sacrifice, plight of the individual, etc.,. Just because it's based on a comic book does not necessarily mean the musical will be any less fulfilling than other Broadway productions (case in point - the aforementioned "The Lion King" (though not the best example, as its primary demographic dwindles near the younger crowd); also "The Dark Knight" - while not a Broadway musical, still based on a comic book and many are predicting "Best Picture" nominations).

I think we should all reserve judgment until this thing sees the light of day. At the very least, we'll get more Bono & Edge material to hearken to.

That's right! Uncle kills father! And those are interesting themes. :yes: :up:

I have no problem with movies or theatre that is based on comics or Disney. All George Lucas did when he was growing up was read comic books and Star Wars was magnificent and I love Disney, not all of it but some are really classic stories and I think animation is an art form, not all of which I like but blah blah :blahblah: I think it would do Bono and Edge the power of good to get off politics and religion for a bit. I mean they MUST get bored of it..........don't they???????:shrug:

I agree.

Bono and Edge don't want to write a shit musical, which means that they are giving some of their best ideas to this project. Considering that (along with Eno possibly) they are the principle idea men in the band, it's really inevitable that some would-have-been U2 ideas were shanghaied

I disagree. I would think something like Spiderman would inspire them to think a bit differently.

This is like a bad dream...

This is gunna SUCK.

I never thought of Edge as a arrogant person, but how much does he know about Broadway? How many shows has he seen? "Heyday back in the 40's and 50's?"...excuse me, have you seen any recent shows Mr. Edge? No? You haven't? Then kindly STFU.

Spiderman and U2 just don't mix...Dark Knight, see that would be cool. But I'm sure Bono would find a way to fuck it up...I say that lovingly...LOLO

:lmao::applaud:

I think we've already heard "Boy Falls from the sky" as beach clip 402 IMO.

I thought so too but I now am doubting it because Bono said Larry and Adam have not heard the "Spider Songs" and I am pretty sure Larry is drumming on 402.

:( I was hoping the beach clips would show up somewhere.

U2 doing a musical. my worst nightmare becomes true.

I just want to hear the songs they did for "Clockwork Orange" by the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1990. "Alex Descends" was by no means a "worst nightmare," nightmarish as it sounded (in a good way).

I think part of Boy Falls From the Sky will be "I've got webby things, you've got bad guys who've done bad things."

:lol:

I apologize, I think I just had a partial stroke before I wrote that.

Backlash 3.0 after Rattle and Hum and Pop/mart ?

Great to hear people are so enthusiastic about this project :happy:

Let them do what they want. They're not the first rock stars doing stuff for musicals. I like musicals, I'll reserve judgement until I see this one. That's IF I ever see it.

I didn't know they wrote a song for the R.S.C. :bow: That's so cool! :heart:

Indeed they did. Some lyrics from two songs are posted online, and one other song, "Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk" was released as the B-side on "The Fly" single. "Alex Descends" was recorded in 1990, just after Rattle & Hum, and is such a departure, you can really see how the guys were interested in re-inventing themselves as liars, charlatans, revelers in all things confused. It's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom