Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Let's go.

YouTube - Spider-Man - Turn Off The Dark - Rise Above Letterman HDTV 01.03.2011 720p

I like this song.

And we can always talk about how hot Jennifer Damiano is.

The project has been a mess. We all know that. But, personally, I'm still looking forward to the release of the official soundtrack to the musical that we've heard a little bit about over the last couple months.

They will be studio recordings, whereas all we've heard so far has either been on TV or from audience bootlegs. I'll listen to that shit, for sure. It will most likely be just cast members on the soundtrack, but there's also a chance that Bono and Edge will show up in some form on the soundtrack.

latest: Bono throwing Julie Taymor under the bus:

‘Spider-Man’ Director May Face Her Own Exit
By PATRICK HEALY and KEVIN FLYNN

The producers of Broadway’s “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” were negotiating on Monday with their director, Julie Taymor, for her to work with a newly expanded creative team to fix the critically derided $65 million musical or possibly leave the show, according to people who work on “Spider-Man” or have been briefed on the negotiations.

The artistic direction ahead for “Spider-Man” — twice as expensive as any show in Broadway history — involves more decisions than just Ms. Taymor’s future, according to these people, who spoke anonymously because the producers have insisted that no information be disclosed about the talks.

The producers and Ms. Taymor and her co-creators, Bono and the Edge of U2, are also discussing how extensively to overhaul the script and music; how many outside consultants should be hired, and who; and when to open the show, which set a record at its Sunday matinee for the most preview performances ever, its 98th. (The previous record was set in 1969 by Jackie Mason’s “A Teaspoon Every Four Hours.”)

Ken Sunshine, one of the spokesmen for the production, said in response to several questions on Monday night: “We are not commenting on speculation.”

The opening night for “Spider-Man” has already been delayed five times; the current opening date, March 15, seems all but certain to fall, since by Monday night theater critics had not been invited to review it (normally invitations are sent about two weeks before). All of the people who spoke about the negotiations said that the producers now viewed a March 15 opening as unlikely. Many critics, in fact, issued reviews after the previously scheduled opening night of Feb. 7. Ben Brantley, the chief theater critic of The New York Times, wrote that “Spider-Man” may “rank among the worst” musicals in history.

For all the decisions to be made, the role of Ms. Taymor is the most freighted one. A Tony Award winner for the musical blockbuster “The Lion King” and regarded in some quarters as a visually creative genius, Ms. Taymor was recruited in 2002 as director by Bono and the Edge. The three have stuck together through the thrills of giving fresh life to the Spider-Man story in their dialogue-writing sessions, the near-bankruptcy of the show in 2009, and through the long preview period, which was marred by serious injuries to two actors during performances in December.

The people who spoke about the negotiations said that, throughout Monday, they were not sure if Ms. Taymor would stay or go as director. One person briefed on the negotiations said that Bono, who has been away for much of the show’s preview period, had taken a direct role in the talks.

What is certain, the people said, was that the producers saw the potential for major changes to the musical, which they hope to mount for years in productions around the world, and that Ms. Taymor either needed to accept help in making those changes or face a different outcome, potentially her exit from the show. The names of multiple directors, choreographers and playwrights have been ricocheting around the Broadway community for days now. It was not clear on Monday who would be hired.

By turns frustrated and determined, exhausted and engaged, Ms. Taymor has also alternated between acknowledging that the production had serious artistic flaws and insisting that she have more of a chance to improve it, the people who spoke in interviews said.

Ms. Taymor, in one of her few public comments about “Spider-Man” since her last stretch of interviews in mid-January, said in a speech on Wednesday that she felt she was “in the crucible and the fire of transformation” with “Spider-Man.” Addressing more than 1,000 people at the TED 2011 conference in Long Beach, Calif., Ms. Taymor indicated that she planned to continue working on the show, describing the creative process as a “trial by fire” for herself and her company. She did not suggest that she might leave the production.

Of “Spider-Man,” she said in her speech: “Anyone who creates knows — when it’s not quite there. Where it hasn’t quite become the phoenix or the burnt char. And I am right there.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/t...including-her-exit.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print

Ha, where does it say anywhere in that article that Bono is throwing Taymor under the bus? It just said he's taking a role in the talks. Maybe he's there passionately defending her, and trying to help her stay on as director? Who knows.

Ha, where does it say anywhere in that article that Bono is throwing Taymor under the bus? It just said he's taking a role in the talks. Maybe he's there passionately defending her, and trying to help her stay on as director? Who knows.

omg that's true! that would be even worse almost :D

B-man is on dodgy ground if he's the one doing the "throwing" lol!!!

It's probably time Julie Taymor was given her marching orders. As director, ultimately it's her responsibility if the show is a mess. You just know if Larry were involved in this, she would have been a goner weeks if not months ago. Bono and Edge are too nice lol.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/theater/09spider.html?_r=1&hp
The producers of “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” are planning a significant overhaul of the $65 million Broadway musical that would involve shutting down performances for two to three weeks, as well as delaying its scheduled opening on March 15 for about three months, according to people who work on “Spider-Man” or were briefed on the producers’ plans.

The precise dates for the shutdown — needed to give the cast a break and hold new rehearsals — have not been set, but they are expected to cover late April and early May, these people said. They spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the producers were ironing out details and wanted to disclose the plans themselves; an official announcement was expected this week.

The new opening night was also not clear as of late Tuesday; a shift to a time around the Tony Awards, which are June 12, could prove controversial among Broadway producers who are already bothered by the media and public interest that has gone to “Spider-Man” instead of their shows. “Spider-Man” has been among the highest-grossing shows on Broadway since beginning preview performances on Nov. 28, grossing $1.28 million last week.

Who would oversee the creative changes has been an open question: the producers on Tuesday continued negotiating with their director, Julie Taymor, and her fellow creators, U2’s Bono and the Edge, about the composition of the artistic team going forward and whether it would continue to include Ms. Taymor, according to the people briefed on the producers’ planning.

The musical’s press representative, Rick Miramontez, said on Tuesday, in response to the anonymously provided information, “Opening night remains scheduled for March 15.”

This would be the sixth delay to the opening of “Spider-Man” in its long history, which began in 2002 when Marvel Entertainment reached out to the Broadway producer Tony Adams (“Victor/Victoria”) about developing a musical about Spider-man. The endeavor has survived Mr. Adams’ sudden death in 2005, near-bankruptcy in 2009, and a slew of technical challenges involving its aerial stunts, which contributed to injuries involving four performers during the fall and winter and led to several findings of state and federal safety code violations. “Spider-Man” completed its 99th preview performance on Tuesday night, more than any other show in history; it is also twice as expensive as the next big-budget Broadway show, “Shrek the Musical.”

No one has worked on “Spider-Man” more intensely than Ms. Taymor, its director, one of its script writers, its mask designer, and far and away its chief creative force. But the producers have concluded that the show needed fresh eyes and ideas to improve in light of sharply negative reviews from most of the nation’s theater critics last month. The producers have asked Ms. Taymor to work with new collaborators or face another resolution, possibly even leaving.

The producers have reached out to at least two Broadway musical directors, Christopher Ashley (a Tony Award nominee for “Memphis” and “The Rocky Horror Show”) and Philip William McKinley (“The Boy from Oz”), about coming aboard, the people said.

Headache's take for the win.

Unsolicited advice: Guys, it's gonna be fine. Take three months off, get your shit together, charge very low prices for the previews to dispel some of the bad PR, and then open on time.

Again as I said a long while ago Taymor never should have been the writer, designer / co-director maybe but not writer, they should have had a Marvel writer and a Broadway superstar veteran on the writing team all along.

mobvok said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/theater/09spider.html?_r=1&hp

Headache's take for the win.

Unsolicited advice: Guys, it's gonna be fine. Take three months off, get your shit together, charge very low prices for the previews to dispel some of the bad PR, and then open on time.

Nah i'm just an irrational hater.

This is the best possible news for this show, and the only way to save it.

I'm also not surprised that bono is the one taking charge of the changes... I think eventually it will come out that B, and probably E, have invested large sums of their own money in this show.

For anybody keeping score with this trainwreck, Taymor is out as the director. Personally I'm hoping Bono and Edge jump ship now, but that's just me.

Man, that's pretty brutal if it's true. She got pushed out.

I actually feel really bad for her. This was her baby, from the start. It was basically her vision: the stage design, concepts, the book. She was the director, obviously, so she had supreme creative control, but beyond that you can tell from what we've seen/heard that she put her blood, sweat, and tears into this thing.

And now she's out before it even has its opening night! Damn. That's crazy. This has to be about the low-point of her professional career.

It's understandable, though. It was her vision, and people weren't liking it, but what now? Do they just completely overhaul the thing? I mean, maybe Taymor's ideas and writing were the problem, but they also made up the entire basis of the show. So do they wipe everything clean, or do they march on with most of Taymor's structure still intact? What a strange situation. It would basically be like starting all over again if they made huge, sweeping changes to the production.

I don't know what to think about this. The whole thing is just very sad.

Man, that's pretty brutal if it's true. She got pushed out.

I actually feel really bad for her. This was her baby, from the start. It was basically her vision: the stage design, concepts, the book. She was the director, obviously, so she had supreme creative control, but beyond that you can tell from what we've seen/heard that she put her blood, sweat, and tears into this thing.

And now she's out before it even has its opening night! Damn. That's crazy. This has to be about the low-point of her professional career.
From everything I've ever read about Julie Taymor, I've never been truly convinced she's a director. She's described as a "visual artist." She was the puppet-maker for Lion King. We know from a press clip from Spider-Man that she's a sculptor. During post-production for "Across the Universe," which Taymor directed, there was reportedly considerable disagreement between her and producer Joe Roth, to the extent that Roth felt the need to re-cut the film. Roth recuts 'Universe' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

A couple months ago, there was a recounting of a media session for Spider-Man in which the writer claimed that Taymor made some statements about the play which made her sound like a total nutter. Her statements were quoted in the article and did seem wacky to me.

She comes across to me as a stereotypical insecure but interesting artist who is good with clay, but not necessarily a film/theatrical director.

Have they said that Taymore is out for sure? I just thought it was just a possibility. Not sure if it is a "for sure" thing at this point.

Really two to three weeks to close and overhaul a show of this size will only allow for minor changes....we shall see. Hopefully it will be more than just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Reeve on Twitter says that Julie's a "was," not an "is." I guess she's out.

reevecarney Reeve Carney
AND for those of u who may have thought Julie was "the general," she's far 2 FEARLESS 4 that. All the best artists are, & she's 1 of them :)
6 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

mccoyhyp.jpg

if Taymor is out, what about her trademark visuals and concepts that actually worked well?? can they keep her work if she is out?

and, more importantly, what about the music, i.e. Bono and Edge's department? that always needed work didn't it? or is that aspect conveniently being ignored now with the negative focus being placed on Taymor?

and the book? 3 weeks downtime is nowhere near enough for major structural changes to be pulled out of thin air, refined and rehearsed...

ousting Taymor would be major, and to justify that, a MASSIVE overhaul would be required...

why did Bono and Edge, as co-creators, not keep tabs on Taymor and not rein her in when she was going off kilter?? they've been at previews already, didn't they see the flaws already? Bono has been described as being in the audience clapping his heart out at the show in past previews! wtf?! is it just the critics and universal panning that have made them realise it wasn't up to scratch? after all this time? if so, well then their theatrical artistic judgement is just way way way off... as "co-creators" they didn't do their jobs properly - they left her to her own devices and, now the emperor has been caught stark butt naked so to speak, they've finally decided to take some action very late on in the day! :down:

what a shitty situation! but i guess that's what happens when people get the job because of their names (Bono and Edge) rather than reputation and track record (in theatre obviously) and they are only working on it as part-timers!

i hope, whatever changes are implemented, that this show succeeds, because now they will look like even bigger idiots if it flops again spectacularly...

here's Michael Riedel's take on it...

ok so flame me, but i agree with him that Bono and the Edge are equally to blame for the whole fiasco... "every artist is a cannibal", yeah, so it seems! it looks like they're eating Julie to survive! :huh:

The Lion Queen is being dethroned.
As I reported last week, the producers of "Spider-Man: We Are Lost in the Dark" are indeed throwing Julie Taymor under a bus.
The new director is likely to be -- wait for it! -- Christopher Ashley.
(What? Who?)
Ashley's competent enough, but, in the chapel of Broadway directors, he's definitely in the second pew.
Taymor, director of "The Lion King" (worldwide gross: $2.5 billion) is going to be replaced by Ashley, director of "Xanadu" (worldwide gross: 12 cents).
(Phil McKinley, a director from Barnum & Bailey, who sits in the fourth pew, was an early choice to "help" Taymor, but declined.)

JOAN MARCUS
"Spider-Man" producers plan to replace director Julie Taymor as her collaborator, U2's Bono, evades responsibility.

That's not the only juicy gossip coming out of the Foxwoods Theater, where "Spider-Man" is now in its fourth month of previews.
I also hear the producers approached Aaron Sorkin, who won the screenwriting Oscar for "The Social Network," about lending his name to the production. He wouldn't have to write much -- the producers were going to hire a team of comic-book writers to do that -- but he has such cachet that if he were associated with the show, critics would have to give it a second look.
Sorkin, who's not exactly short of a buck, was amused, but passed.
Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for the show, declined to comment on the Sorkin offer.
Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, one of those comic-book writers, will have a go at Taymor's baffling script, for which he's being paid about $20,000, sources say.
To put in whatever changes Ashley and Aguirre-Sacasa want to make, "Spider-Man" is going on hiatus at the end of April for four to six weeks.
The plan is ludicrous, of course, but so is everything else about the show, from its $65 million budget to its bone-breaking special effects.
A lot of veteran producers think "Spider-Man" should go on permanent hiatus.
"What's Chris going to do in a month?" a producer wonders. "Maybe he can pace it better, but he can't change the physical production. The show is unfixable."
The box office, which was hot when people were getting injured, has cooled off. Yesterday in Times Square a kid handed me a flyer offering orchestra and front mezzanine seats for $99 during the week and $79 for the Wednesday matinee.
(No wonder the comic-book writer is getting only $20,000.)
The question now is: Does Taymor go quietly or put up a fight?
I hear her "team" -- Simba, Nala, Kukla, Fran and Ollie -- is in "crisis mode." Taymor could, if she's ticked off enough, bring the whole thing down. As a co-author, she can forbid the producers from changing a word of her script. In which case they'd have to come up with a completely new story.
That might not be a bad idea, though somebody should have thought of it two years ago when she was pillaging Ovid for characters like Arachne, the mysterious Spider-Woman who hijacks the second act with a lot of pretentious feminist nonsense.
Or Taymor could step aside temporarily, take a much-needed breather and then return to make some changes of her own before the May reopening.
"That's the ideal scenario," says a source. "But right now, nobody knows how it's going to play out."
I've been tough on Taymor -- she sat behind the wheel when this show went off the cliff.
But she shouldn't take all the blame. Bono and The Edge bear just as much responsibility as she does.
Their music is boring and pretentious; their lyrics are often incomprehensible.
They spent nine years on this show and wrote 19 lousy songs. What makes anybody think they can come up with "Send in the Clowns" in six weeks?
But nobody's trying to replace Bono.
Better to pin it all on poor, defeated Julie while Mr. Humanitarian skates off scot-free.
We'll see about that when Bono unveils some new songs when the show reopens.
May I have earplugs with my Playbill, please?

Read more: 'Spider-Man' blame Taym - NYPOST.com

From everything I've ever read about Julie Taymor, I've never been truly convinced she's a director. She's described as a "visual artist." She was the puppet-maker for Lion King. We know from a press clip from Spider-Man that she's a sculptor

she directed The Lion King - she won a Tony award for "best direction of a musical" for her work on the show

i think she used to be a pretty good director actually, but lately (possibly post-Frieda imo) i feel her work has gone downhill... it was fresh and original once, but then she just kept on using the same old tricks and got lost in a maze of incoherency, sadly... she does have a very good eye though... she creates some great stuff, and some crap stuff, like all artists...

i don't know which press clip you mean, but sculpture is an integral part of mask-making, seeing as you first create your mask out of clay... you mess about with the clay and mould it to your chosen shape, you can have real fun with it, and then you cover it with papier-mache or whatever material you're using for the actual mask... well, that's the method i was taught anyway by Jacques Lecoq who was one of the masters Julie trained with...

"The Scottish Play and the Bard's play are euphemisms for William Shakespeare's Macbeth. According to a theatrical superstition, called the Scottish curse, speaking the name Macbeth inside a theatre will cause disaster."

add to the lexicon
'the bono play'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom