‘Spider-Man’ to Close on Broadway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea were its going to in vegas? I know the director wanted the show in a arena from the get go

Watched that clip of Boy Falls From The Sky for the first time yesterday. The song shows a lot of promise. If not part of an album, I hope they at least release it separately as a stand alone single.

Any idea were its going to in vegas? I know the director wanted the show in a arena from the get go

bumpa-and-spider-man-las-vegas-united-states+1152_12801073704-tpweb04w-15817.jpg

Bono and The Edge sure must hope the new album sells a whooooole shit load to make up for the millions of dollars they wasted on this pile of dog shit.

Not to mention wasting a great song in Boy Falls From The Sky to boot.

While I agree with you about the loss of some potentially great U2 songs, the production itself was a hit on Broadway. In fact, it's one of the highest grossing plays ever. So... no millions wasted. Most likely, millions made.

While I agree with you about the loss of some potentially great U2 songs, the production itself was a hit on Broadway. In fact, it's one of the highest grossing plays ever. So... no millions wasted. Most likely, millions made.

Grossing...

Actually millions lost.

Per week.

Gross is meaningless if the net is negative.

The play cost so much to put on that they would have had to sell out every show for 6 years simply to break even on the initial investment.

They fell just a tad short.

Just because I'm tired of debating this, because there is zero debate about what an epic financial disaster this show was, just read the New York Times article from yesterday...

Investors and executives with the Broadway musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” said on Tuesday that the show will have historic losses of up to $60 million when it closes on Jan. 4. The closing follows a sharp decline in ticket sales because of competition from hotter musicals and a lack of star attractions in the cast.

Millions made!

Please.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/11/2...tors-shaken-by-projected-60-million-loss.html

The music really gets kicked around on Broadeay sights, and that article is no different.

This really was an all around failure and more or less the Broadway equivalent of Ishtar or Waterworld or whatever.

It's too bad they didn't seem to have the musical chops to pull it off. I quite like some of what's on the cast album, but I'm clearly in the minority and I never saw the show (likely never will).

Hopefully they learn from it and it fuels a great new record.

Bono and The Edge sure must hope the new album sells a whooooole shit load to make up for the millions of dollars they wasted on this pile of dog shit.

Did they invest money in this project? Or only time?
As far as I know, Bono & Edge were only responsible for the music (and the lyrics), not for bankrolling the whole project.
(Actually, I once read that The Edge did put some money in it, not sure how much though)

As far as I know, Bono & Edge were only responsible for the music (and the lyrics), not for bankrolling the whole project.
(Actually, I once read that The Edge did put some money in it, not sure how much though)

I'm almost positive that edge, at least, did.

The Edge put a lot of his own money in. Bono put nothing.

Bono did, however, convince the head of Live Nation to invest heavily.

Hmm...

Bono: so we have this great play we're going to put in. We just need a little investment help

Live Nation: sure Bono... How much we talking here?

Bono: ummm... 60, 70 million? But we guarantee you'll get your money back!

Live Nation: oh we'll get our money back... Don't you worry about that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUM5xHUY4M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Actually millions lost.

Per week.

Gross is meaningless if the net is negative.

The play cost so much to put on that they would have had to sell out every show for 6 years simply to break even on the initial investment.

They fell just a tad short.

I don't know about the production cost for each show. But it grossed over $200M on Broadway. Initial investment was $64M.

it costs a ton to keep it going week after week, 11 shows a week.

like how 360 was $750,000 a week just to exist.

The music really gets kicked around on Broadeay sights, and that article is no different.

This really was an all around failure and more or less the Broadway equivalent of Ishtar or Waterworld or whatever.

It's too bad they didn't seem to have the musical chops to pull it off. I quite like some of what's on the cast album, but I'm clearly in the minority and I never saw the show (likely never will).

Hopefully they learn from it and it fuels a great new record.

Try Heaven's Gate. Both Ishtar and Waterworld made money through video sales & TV rights

Looks like it's moving to The Venetian - their 1600 seat theatre hosted a reworked version of The Phantom Of The Opera until a year or so ago. It is currently being used for a Tim McGraw/Faith Hill residency. Rock Of Ages is also on in the smaller 900 seat theatre in the same complex. Since Mandalay Bay's theatre is now hosting Michael Jackson One - The Venetian is the only vacant strip theatre available.

I'm sure the musical had a very profitable period, but there was something about it needing to reach like 90% capacity on most nights just to break even. They kept adding to their losses early on, then it became one of the biggest hits on Broadway and then, recently, they likely started adding up more losses every week. If they were about 80 million in the hole by the time audiences started seeing it in droves, it would have taken an eternity to clear that debt when their weekly profit was supposedly something like 200-300K with sellout crowds. 250K x 52 = $13 million for one very successful year. No way did they ever come out of the hole.

Well ... it's not like it's CLOSING closing. It's moving to Vegas. They'll probably sell loads and loads of tickets there. Will it make it not "a failure" in the end? I don't know.

Rent in Manhattan was obviously one of the big issues. At a Las Vegas theater with cheaper rent, they can probably break even with much lower crowds.

Let's make something clear... nobody ever went to see spiderman "in droves."

They had a brief period where they did fairly well, largely with discounted tickets for their most expensive seats. It was never a tough ticket. If you wanted to go see it? You could go see it.

It's okay for something U2 is tied to to be a failure. Really, it really is.

Back
Top Bottom