Spider-Man 2.0 discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some insight into the financials of spider-man, and how the successful weekly gate totals mentioned in the post above don't really tell the entire story

How the Numbers Add Up (Way Up) for ‘Spider-Man’
By KEVIN FLYNN and PATRICK HEALY
For anyone stumped by how the producers of “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” could have possibly spent $75 million on that show, more than twice as much as any production in Broadway history, the web is untangling.

Financial statements submitted this month to New York State by the production detail how the show spent $9 million — a sum equal to the entire production cost for the hit musical “The Book of Mormon” — on sets, costumes and shoes. (Remember that dance number, now jettisoned, in which the six-legged spiderwomen flashed a lot of footwear?)

More than $1 million went to the show’s lawyers. Another $6 million was paid to its stagehands.

Even the producers acknowledge that with such high expenses, at the show’s current earning level “Spider-Man” would need to run more than seven years to recoup what investors have poured in.

“The bad news is that it was very expensive,” said Michael Cohl, one of the lead producers, “and the good news is that we will not quit and we will make this a success and that’s that.”

The biggest hurdle facing the show is its operating expenses — $1.2 million a week as of early January, when accountants did their last measure for the state report. That is just about what the show has earned in recent weeks, meaning its high box-office receipts are no guarantee of financial success.

On top of the operating expenses, the show owes as much as $100,000 a week on an $8 million construction loan taken out to renovate the Foxwoods Theater, where the show plays.

But Mr. Cohl said expenses had declined recently and that the show, revamped since April, now had operating costs of only about $1 million a week. Even at that level, though, producers still face enormous pressure to sell tickets at top dollar. At full price — $275 for a premium seat, $67.50 for the back of the balcony — this show, in one of Broadway’s biggest theaters, could potentially earn as much as $1.9 million a week. But it has been bringing in only between $1.2 million and $1.3 million a week recently, despite nearly selling out, because many tickets are sold at discount.

The financial statements were part of a routine filing to the state attorney general’s office, which monitors theatrical productions that solicit investments from the public. The statements detail the show’s cumulative expenses through Jan. 2. As of that date, “Spider-Man” reported spending $58 million and raising $66 million. Nearly a third of the money, about $20 million, came from loans, not investors, an unusually high proportion for a Broadway show.

“Everything about this show is unusual,” Mr. Cohl said. “Most Broadway shows don’t cost $20 million, let alone have a loan for $20 million.”

Only about a quarter of Broadway shows ever recoup their production costs. For those that do, like the recent revival of “Hair,” success can come quickly. “Hair” earned back its $5.8 million in production costs in five months. Only 18 Broadway shows have ever run for seven years or longer, including two current hits, “The Lion King” (nearly 14 years) and “Wicked” (nearly eight years). By comparison, the runaway hit show “The Producers” ran just six years.

Brand-name musicals often do well in the summer tourist season, slump in the fall and rebound during the holidays. “Spider-Man” will face its first real box-office test in September and again in January and February, traditionally the worst-selling months on Broadway.

The production, originally titled “Spider-Man: A Musical Web,” was envisioned as a $20 million show as recently as 2007, according to its offering papers at the time. Those papers also outlined plans for productions opening in Las Vegas in 2009 and London in 2010. But its original producers had trouble raising money as the budget grew, and Mr. Cohl and a co-producer, Jeremiah J. Harris, took over in the fall of 2009. At the time, the show had already run out of the money in the middle of renovating the theater, a project that included installing 1,930 seats.

Mr. Cohl and Mr. Harris blame many of the cost overruns on their predecessors and on the many years it took for the show to open — it has been in development since 2002.

“Had we started this show originally, Michael and I, it would have been done for considerably less,” said Mr. Harris, a Broadway producer and technical supervisor for more than three decades. “I’m going to say that if it hadn’t been for all the delays and everything else, the budget would have been 30 percent less than what it is.”

The cost of the delays is evident in the $4 million spent to rent the theater for nearly two years before performances began. Most productions rent a theater for just a few months before opening.

Other costs, though, are connected to the outsize ambitions of the show, which its original creators, Julie Taymor, the director, and the rock stars Bono and the Edge of U2, envisioned as not just a musical but as what they described in interviews as a “rock ’n’ roll circus drama.”

There are some 60 people in the cast and band, large by Broadway standards, and 40 stagehands. The costume team includes up to 23 people at one time: 4 designers, 4 shoppers and 15 dressers. And the flying sequences are among the most complex bits of staging ever attempted on Broadway. To pull them off, the expense sheets show, the producers have spent more than $2 million on harnesses, flying rigs and the many hours involved in refining the logistics.

Another big-ticket item this spring, a three-week hiatus to revamp the musical, is one reason the show’s production costs are now estimated to be at least $75 million.

Going forward, the production plans to try raising its gross profits, which it could do by discontinuing the sale of its tickets at discount outlets like the TKTS booth in Times Square. Merchandising and the cast album have potential as additional revenue sources, as do plans to tour, though the flying sequences would probably need to be greatly simplified.

One place where the producers have not spent any money, according to Ms. Taymor, is in paying her the royalties she is due. (Ms. Taymor was fired in March after creative clashes with the producers, but retains her credit as director.) The statements filed with the state say Ms. Taymor earned $36,000 in royalties for the six-week period ending Jan. 2. The producers said she was paid at least some portion of that amount, although they would not specify. But Ms. Taymor has filed for arbitration, insisting she has received only a director’s fee of $125,000.

Given the expenses of “Spider-Man,” Broadway professionals like Tom Viertel, a producer who won Tony Awards for “Hairspray” and “The Producers,” said it was difficult to see how this musical ever makes money, unless its offshoot productions are very innovative.

“ ‘Spider-Man’ has the most daunting set of costs and recoupment schedule that I’ve ever seen on Broadway,” he said, “by a factor of four or five.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/t...ayp&adxnnlx=1308856316-wjtSDk50CzRPBcQvnJGciA

Yeah I can't see a tour working very well at all, the spectacle is the draw and that would be a feat of engineering to make that portable. A show in Vegas, in London or Orlando could help. But I feel like it would have had to be a runaway success to merit those things, thus far, no dice.

I'm sure Paul McG can come up with some pyramid scheme to cover that, just ring him up.

Spider-Man's gross has jumped by $432,004 this week to reach 1.7 million, which is good news...

I wanted to bump this up since the show just dropped a video for Rise Above.

Here is a link for the theatre report card web site. I don't think any one has posted these links yet. So, for any one who want to read through it. (like a theatres version of rotten tomato.)
Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark | StageGrade

I finally listened to the soundtrack thanks to Spotify. I am a theatre snob and for some reason hesitated listening. I did not want to hate it, so I did not listen all of the way through. I am liking what I hear. I think the show suffers from a little bit of schizophrenia. It can't decide what kind of musical theater it wants to be so it is a bit of everything. I think the music for this show works the best when it is not trying to "sound" like music theatre. I am loving Jennifer Diamo and her vocals and the music arrangements as people have said are great. I love the guitars and "harder" sounds mixing with the violins and other orchestrations.

I got to see the show last week and just wanted to say I enjoyed it immensely. Whatever they did to "reimagine" (as it says on the free poster I was given) it worked because it was great. The swinging stunts were awesome, the cast fantastic, especially The Green Goblin who does steal the show and is hilarious. Sitting first row balcony was not the best seats in the house because it required sitting a bit forward to see the whole stage but it did have an advantage which I loved: One of the platforms for the Spideys to jump and land from was practically in my lap so it was great fun watching them get all harnessed up in the dark next to my seat before take-offs. One Spidey was crouched and ready to go and waiting, he turned and looked at me and I gave him a thumbs up and he hi-5ed me then jumped off the balcony into the spotlight. It was pretty cool. :D At the end Reeve Carney/Spidey swung up to my platform and landed right in front of me, and the performance got a standing ovation. We loved it. :up:

I was lucky enough to see the musical a couple of nights ago and I just LOVED it! The colors were so pretty. The set design is immaculate. The aerial acrobatic sequences are a thrill. Reeve Carney is a hunk and Jennifer Damiano is a doll. My favorite songs were probably "Rise Above" and "No More." My Mom cried at the end.

I love U2. Go see this A.S.A.P.!

Love the show, seen it twice. Absolutely love Reeve! Did anyone else hear the rumor the Jim Sturgess was approached to be in the show?

Love the show, seen it twice. Absolutely love Reeve! Did anyone else hear the rumor the Jim Sturgess was approached to be in the show?

I don't think it was just a rumor was it? I'm pretty sure he wrote online about spending time with Bono and Edge and singing all the songs for them for a demo recording or something as a favor, even though he'd already said he wouldn't be taking the part. I think he spoke about having the original demo cd of all the songs with Bono and Edge on vocals, because we really wanted to get our hands on that disc. Unless I'm totally remembering this wrong. :reject: ( I know Alan Cumming has one of those too from when he was originally cast.)

you're absolutely right bonocomet - Jim Sturgess was originally offered the role of Peter Parker, but turned it down...

Looks like Reeve Carney has his next acting gig lined up.

Reeve Carney tapped to play Jeff Buckley in upcoming biopic � Consequence of Sound

:doh:

I have nothing against this guy, but I seriously doubt he could remotely stand up to Jeff Buckley's voice. Unless they use the song's audio and he just does the acting, this is a major mismatch.

he does actually look quite a bit like him though... i wondered if he might be approached for the part!

let's face it, they're never EVER going to find an actor with a voice like Jeff Buckley's, not in a million years, but Reeve has got a nice voice (and i think his singing voice might be better suited to film than Broadway to be honest), he's got a music background, and maybe he could do a good job with the role... i really do think he's a great choice for the part! a big congrats to him!

Hmm, I guess his contract is up for Spidey? Wonder who will replace him? I hear his understudy is great!

Oh, thank god it's not that kid from Gossip Girl like I'd last heard. I think it's a decent choice - I'm assuming he actually can act. ;)

But yeah, they're never going to find anyone who can come close to Buckley's voice, so they just have to deal with that. But Reeve does look quite a bit like him.

So, I've got it on good authority that this is how Bono & the Edge ended up doing Spider-Man:

Bono: "It's near the end of the decade, and we haven't embarrassed ourselves yet."
Adam: "Did you forget that we released 'Get on Your Boots'?"
Bono: "Nobody played that... We need to do something we can retrospectively label an artistic failure. We need to play with the fire till the fire plays with us."
Larry: "What the fuck are you talking about? We didn't mean to make a mess when we made Rattle & Hum or Pop. You're thinking of Passengers."
Bono: "Then, we can make a big electrical storm in the media about changing the status quo!"
*Adam and Larry walk away*
Julie Taymor: "I'm planning on butchering Spider-Man for Broadway."
Bono: "That definitely sounds like the future of rock 'n' roll. Elton?"
Elton John: "It took me only three weeks to write The Lion King."
*Bono grabs Irish Falcon and runs off, shouting*
Bono: "EEEEEDGE - COME ON!"
Elton John: "Can he even play that thing?"
Julie Taymor: "Only when it's not plugged in."

We learn more from difficulties than from success. I think the whole process has been very important for Bono and Edge and I'm convinced that it just had to be such a rocky road for them, especially since they are so spoilt by U2's ongoing success. I'm actually proud of them and the fact that they pulled this thing through. I wouldn't have expected otherwise, they are really very much into this project.

I guess by now all the bad press and the many nay sayers trying to slam the project form the beginning should be forgotten and it's good that way. From all I've heard and seen I think Spiderman is a financial success and I wish everyone involved with the project good luck after all the problems they've had. I think it's a good thing Bono and Edge were trying to leave their comfort zone, side projects are a good idea even if some people might disagree with what they've been doing. A musical is not a rock concert, you cannot compare it to a U2 show or a U2 album, it's ridiculous to even try, this is not a U2 project.
I'm sure it's a very important and precious experience for Edge and Bono, both personally and as musicians. I don't think I'll ever get to see Spiderman, but I sure hope it will continue to be a success for everyone working at the project.

We learn more from difficulties than from success. I think the whole process has been very important for Bono and Edge and I'm convinced that it just had to be such a rocky road for them, especially since they are so spoilt by U2's ongoing success. I'm actually proud of them and the fact that they pulled this thing through. I wouldn't have expected otherwise, they are really very much into this project.

I guess by now all the bad press and the many nay sayers trying to slam the project form the beginning should be forgotten and it's good that way. From all I've heard and seen I think Spiderman is a financial success and I wish everyone involved with the project good luck after all the problems they've had. I think it's a good thing Bono and Edge were trying to leave their comfort zone, side projects are a good idea even if some people might disagree with what they've been doing. A musical is not a rock concert, you cannot compare it to a U2 show or a U2 album, it's ridiculous to even try, this is not a U2 project.
I'm sure it's a very important and precious experience for Edge and Bono, both personally and as musicians. I don't think I'll ever get to see Spiderman, but I sure hope it will continue to be a success for everyone working at the project.
:up::up::up:

last unicorn said:
From all I've heard and seen I think Spiderman is a financial success

It's not.

Does it make a lot of money per week? Yes.

It needs to continue making this same money for many years to come just to break even.

If a show cost $70 million just to create, makes $1.7 million per week, but costs $1.2 million per week to operate... yea. At least 3 years without falling off at all just to break even.

Ironically enough, spider man has fallen behind the Lion King on the weekly gross charts.

I was just looking at the returns for the week. From what I understand, they fell from 1.7 to 1.5 this week. They have the potential to go 1.9. I think as long as they make their weekly nut consistently, they will stay open.

Has anyone here ever actually seen the show in person?

Kicking around the idea of possibly going to NY in the fall and wondering what the show is like. :hmm:

Kicking around the idea of possibly going to NY in the fall and wondering what the show is like. :hmm:

Scroll back a few pages - there have been a few reports from people who've seen the new version.

We learn more from difficulties than from success. I think the whole process has been very important for Bono and Edge and I'm convinced that it just had to be such a rocky road for them, especially since they are so spoilt by U2's ongoing success. I'm actually proud of them and the fact that they pulled this thing through.
Do you realize you're patronizing one of the world's biggest bands?

I guess by now all the bad press and the many nay sayers trying to slam the project form the beginning should be forgotten and it's good that way. From all I've heard and seen I think Spiderman is a financial success and I wish everyone involved with the project good luck after all the problems they've had.
Nah, everything about the project spelled disaster from the get-go. And surprise, it was a disaster. From what I've heard, Bono and Edge learned quite a bit and even managed to write a few fun songs, which I like listening to once in a while. Mostly the big hammy numbers, like Pull the Trigger and A Freak Like Me. Rise Above 1 and Sinistereo are good, too. (Although I wish Edge could record more songs where he isn't so specifically affecting his vocals. Pretty much all there is of 'pure' Edge is Van Diemen's Land and the bridge of Miracle Drug.)

Yes, I've seen in in July brom the second balcony and I'm going back next week. Hoping to find a Flying zone seat.

Oh, and I live in Europe so it's not around the corner ;)

Back
Top Bottom