Songs you'd like U2 to cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

A mate of mine thought it was a U2 song when she overheard me playing it on itunes.

Never heard of it until now!

Just looked it up on Youtube.

Definitely has a Boy-era U2 vibe to it.

Almost sounds like parts of it could have been inspired by I Will Follow.

This is a sound U2 could really benefit from revisiting today.

I mean really revisiting--not making HTDAAB and claiming its their early sound.

Miley Cyrus - "See You Again"

Edge can take lead vocal on the chorus:

My best friend Larry said "Oh he's just bein' Edgey!"

I wish Bono had put some effort into the Love Will Tear Us Apart cover with Arcade Fire. Everything else about it is fucking fantastic... but he's squatting, trying to read the lyrics, just mumbling. I know the verses are kinda mumbly, but that's not what he's doing. Tragedy. U2 + Arcade Fire covering Joy Division should = ridiculous almost unrivaled heights of brilliance, but no, Bono tanks it due to not knowing the words. I mean, he's not that bad when he tries - e.g. he fucking nails, of all things, 'Kids' live with Kylie Minogue, a song he apparently hadn't ever even heard until the afternoon of the day he performed it with her. What the hell? Such a shame.

Edge as singer for any of several Smiths songs could be great?

^ yeah agree with that. Was very disappointed with Bono's effort on Love Will Tear Us Apart.

I mean, he's not that bad when he tries - e.g. he fucking nails, of all things, 'Kids' live with Kylie Minogue, a song he apparently hadn't ever even heard until the afternoon of the day he performed it with her.

Seriously? I call bullshit on that one, bono. I don't buy it for a second.

I can understand Love Will Tear Us Apart being half-assed if it was mostly unplanned or at least unrehearsed. It didn't bother me that it was a bit of a shambles. It was still a cool moment.

Every breath you take -The Police

I think it would be simply AMAZING!

I was very sad hearing U2's cover of Halellujah. So terrible, especially after listening to Jeff Buckley's version. GOD that is one great song.

My Humps - Black Eyed Peas (just for shiggles)
Strange Days - Matthew Good Band (not sure why, but I feel a hymn-like quality emanating from the song)
No Cars Go - Arcade Fire (feels like a spiritual successor to WTSHNN)
The Funeral - Band of Horses (just 'cause... :love:)

Velvet Underground's "Sunday Morning"
Madonna's "Holiday"
The Boss' "Streets Of Philadelphia"
Manic Street Preachers' "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next"
Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'"
Annie Lennox's "Why"
The Bee Gees' "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
"Hallelujah"... decently, not what Bono did in '95
Kraftwerk's "The Model"

Every breath you take -The Police

I think it would be simply AMAZING!

I was very sad hearing U2's cover of Halellujah. So terrible, especially after listening to Jeff Buckley's version. GOD that is one great song.

Yeah, it could be a great cover. Or even version with Sting, Bono and Sting sang together a couple of times.

"Hallelujah"... decently, not what Bono did in '95

While I agree that what Bono did to the song was a little horrifying ( :wink: ), I'd personally put a disclaimer on that request:

Dear U2 (and this goes for any other artist):

Would love you to cover Hallelujah. But the only one anyone does anymore is a cover of the John Cale version. Jeff Buckley did it. kd lang did it. Justin Timberlake and some other dude did it on the Haiti fundraiser. It's beautiful, yes. But we've all heard it ad nauseum.

Can we please declare a moratorium on the John Cale version? Come up with something new, or just leave it alone.

PS: Bono, your horrid version doesn't even get points for "new" because you did it long before the song was overdone. :wink:

One Day Like This by Elbow.

:drool: Do want.

Was listening to Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits and thought,wow U2 could do an excellet cover of this.

Found the thread, thought I'd give it a bump

i'm watching the west wing (for the zillionth time) right now, so this made me smile :)

the use of brothers in arms in the second season finale of that show has to be the best use of any song in television, ever

infact that entire episode was amazing, and the final segment (with brothers in arms) was simply cinematographic perfection

Back
Top Bottom